Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:28:53 pm

Author Topic: Analysis help for Stimulus Booklet  (Read 1426 times)

zoominguy

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Analysis help for Stimulus Booklet
« on: December 07, 2016, 02:09:25 pm »
Hi everyone! This is my first post here. I have an English test tomorrow and we have been given our texts for the test to analyse (but not the questions)  I could do with some help identifying the techniques, thank you!

Image 1

Text 2

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byy3O1AYnUYyc2V6TVU4cDlBd2s

Text 3

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byy3O1AYnUYyZnk0c2lMSUZ3ejA

Text 4

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byy3O1AYnUYyRlpnRzNvWjB5RWc

It's a handful, sorry about that. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Analysis help for Stimulus Booklet
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 03:45:47 pm »
Hi everyone! This is my first post here. I have an English test tomorrow and we have been given our texts for the test to analyse (but not the questions)  I could do with some help identifying the techniques, thank you!
It's a handful, sorry about that. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Hey there! What have you taken from some of these texts so far?

With the cartoon, you can talk about colour (or lack of), the two frames, the sizing of the island in comparison, and the sizing of the human/boat in each. I think the fact that you can compare the two images because everything remains relatively the same, except the sizing of the two images is swapped. For me, the island is the salient image in the first picture because of the negative space where the sand is, but it's the person in the second image because of the dark colouring.

Of course, the text is important as well. It's one simple word in each, and you can talk about the punctuation as well :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

zoominguy

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 07:38:41 pm »
Thanks for that!

In regards to what I have so far,  I have a hard time with technique recognition. I can recognise themes and ideas but can't back them up with techniques. However that being said, I can see that in Text 2, there's this central idea of personal experiences result in renewed perceptions of the world (discovery). In Text 3, its something about how discovery can be different for everyone based on what sort of input they take from their surroundings. Text 4 is the persona rediscover the days of his youth. All very vague statements, but that's all I have so far. My test is the in the Paper A format, so I don't need to over analyse.

Thanks again :D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 07:59:05 pm »
Thanks for that!

In regards to what I have so far,  I have a hard time with technique recognition. I can recognise themes and ideas but can't back them up with techniques. However that being said, I can see that in Text 2, there's this central idea of personal experiences result in renewed perceptions of the world (discovery). In Text 3, its something about how discovery can be different for everyone based on what sort of input they take from their surroundings. Text 4 is the persona rediscover the days of his youth. All very vague statements, but that's all I have so far. My test is the in the Paper A format, so I don't need to over analyse.

Thanks again :D

These sound like some good conceptual ideas! When you are looking for techniques, start with the simple stuff. Word choice, expression and imagery; look for places where a picture is painted especially well in your mind. Or where a word really packs a punch. Then graduate to language devices; look for phrases with repetition of a single consonant or vowel to pick up alliteration and assonance. Then, on a third pass, look for things like figurative language and symbolism. Does this carry any greater meaning than what is literally said? Build up from the simple to the complex.

Finally, you can also comment on the general style and tone of the author. Is it angry? Sad? Excited? What sort of voice do you hear in your head and why?

For the second text especially, I think the style would be worth mentioning. Very stream of consciousness style, reads a bit like a speech! You could also talk about the metaphor of being at "ground level" at the end, that's a bit of political symbolism I think, depending on how you interpret it! I also see some bits of alliteration around as well ;D

I think the big thing for Text 3 is the imagery and word choice. Look for sentences that paint a picture visually, aurally (etc) extremely well. You've got a nice structure in two parts, signified by that repetition of "a Summer's Day on the beach", you may wish to extrapolate on the meaning of that too :)

Try having a crack at Text 4 yourself using the process I outlined above. I see lots of places where sights, sounds, even tactile (touch) sensations are used to paint a picture for the audience, that's all imagery. Further, what sort of tone is conveyed? It seems very melancholy to me :)

Hope this helps as a start! :)

zoominguy

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 09:05:17 pm »
+1
Thanks so much Jamon, I'll give it a shot!   :D :D