Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 04:38:17 am

Author Topic: Grading?  (Read 1385 times)  Share 

Lovday

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Grading?
« on: February 11, 2021, 01:33:50 pm »
Hi,

I am hearing conflicting information on the grading of examination tests; relating to the Edutest tests that were used for previous ‘selective school’ entrance exams and which are currently being used for ‘private school’ scholarship entrance exams.

I would be so grateful if someone could advise on whether the questions are weighted (greater points allocated for more difficult questions)?
Also, how is the information (whether the questions are weighted or not) verified?

Thanks.

JZou276

• Trailblazer
Re: Grading?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 05:20:27 pm »
All questions are worth the same. Edutests provides the tests for selective exams, they also happen to provide for some private schools when taking scholarship tests. The tests would be basically similar.

Lovday

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 10:20:51 am »
Thank you for your response.

How is this information verified as Edutest do not disclose grading information relating to their tests?

I find it odd and unfair that all questions would be worth the same – especially questions that are substantially more difficult than others.

• MOTM: July 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 12:28:22 am »
+1
Thank you for your response.

How is this information verified as Edutest do not disclose grading information relating to their tests?

I find it odd and unfair that all questions would be worth the same – especially questions that are substantially more difficult than others.
The "verified" information about the actual marking scheme isn't disclosed as you said, so you probably won't be able to find it from the members of atarnotes, your best bet is to actually contact edutest.

Assume that JZou276 is right in the meantime, the idea of the test is to pace yourself. Obviously don't spend too much time on one question solely because you believe the "harder" questions get scaled.

I sat the test last year, and in the test it had the same instructions as to the ones on the practice papers. Pretty much the whole idea of the test is to see which students can answer the most correct questions in a certain time frame.

Quote from: Test Instructions
When you are told to begin you will have 30 minutes to do as many questions as you can. If you don’t know the answer to a question, make a guess or come back to it later. You don’t lose marks if you get something wrong. It may be difficult to finish all the questions in the time allowed, so don’t spend too long on any one question. Try to answer as many questions as you can. If you change your mind about an answer, please erase your original answer using an eraser and colour your new answer in on the answer sheet.

In my opinion, I wouldn't waste the time and energy searching for answers to unproductive and useless questions, whether or not there is scaling involved shouldn't affect the way you complete the test since difficulty is subjective of course. I think you should just complete the test in a manner that will make sure you answer more questions.

Lovday

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 12:12:01 pm »
The "verified" information about the actual marking scheme isn't disclosed as you said, so you probably won't be able to find it from the members of atarnotes, your best bet is to actually contact edutest.
Unfortunately edutest will not provide any information on theirs exams. I was hoping someone may have had more definitive information on the marking scheme.

Pretty much the whole idea of the test is to see which students can answer the most correct questions in a certain time frame.
Your comment has given me a new perspective on the exam. I can see that they may be looking for most correct questions answered in a certain time frame.