Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 05:34:51 pm

Author Topic: Practicals over course  (Read 1006 times)  Share 

Ollierobb1

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Practicals over course
« on: October 01, 2019, 05:09:28 pm »
How familiar with the practicals should we be? I know they are all assesible, so should I know all the chemical equations, methods and results of each individual one? Or just general knowledge of each?

InnererSchweinehund

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +18
Re: Practicals over course
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 07:16:59 pm »
+2
How familiar with the practicals should we be? I know they are all assesible, so should I know all the chemical equations, methods and results of each individual one? Or just general knowledge of each?

Hi!

It's good to be familiar with important practicals you have done, especially during year 12, as in the HSC they can ask you to write about them eg. explain the method, or why certain equipment was used, or they might even give you a method and ask what was done wrong (especially for titrations).

General knowledge of each should be fine, but it would be good to know some important equations, for example the fermentation of glucose, and esterification reactions. If you know generally how to do the practical (as in the method) that is probably sufficient, just be confident that you could explain how to undertake the experience if they asked you how to, in the exam.

I don't think particular results are as important but you should know the aim and hypothesis of the practical - pretty much, why are you doing it??

Also, in relation to practicals, you should know different ways to express results that are suitable for that particular practical (eg. tables, graphs), and be able to assess the validity, reliability and accuracy of the practical, and ways to improve on these.

Hope this helps!!
 :)