Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:22:04 am

Author Topic: Why do you study at uni/why do you want to study at uni?  (Read 1210 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Why do you study at uni/why do you want to study at uni?
« on: January 19, 2021, 09:58:12 am »
+4
I know that this is a sort of vague question, but I'm leaving it intentionally vague.

Why do you study at university? Or, if you haven't yet started, why do you want to (if you do)?

All thoughts appreciated - I think this could be an interesting discussion!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Re: Why do you study at uni/why do you want to study at uni?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 09:34:27 am »
+5
In some ways I want to study at uni because there's no other way to get where I want. It could be better doing it the old way, apprenticeship-style, but that ain't how things be now-a-days.
I want to study because I find everything about nursing (well - not completely everything) fascinating. The medical field is very interesting. I have no desire (even if I had the brains for it, which I emphatically don't have) to go into medicine or many areas of health; nursing is the most interesting.
...Well, nursing especially when combined with midwifery. Absolutely fascinating to see the miracles that are born every day.
For the full ramble, read my uni journal.
Uni is a means to an end - to get the skills, experience and general know-how I need to do a job competently. Hopefully I'll pick up some competence and confidence along the way, for that I sorely need, as others could affirm!
I want to study at uni because at least most of my units (at least from what I've seen of the first few at least) look genuinely fascinating. (Argh what a terrible sentence.) I know, I know, they won't all be, but still.
I wish uni could start when school starts.
On the plus side, I have access to textbooks already.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

LochNess Monster

• Forum Regular
  • I speak Chinglish!
  • Respect: +12
Re: Why do you study at uni/why do you want to study at uni?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 12:06:33 am »
+1
I study at uni because I need to get these "skills" to be a "professional". Sadly, masters and degrees are what get most jobs nowadays, instead of just being accepted for the talents you have and being placed in an industry or profession that suits you.

I think it's a shame that people's talents/skills don't automatically become their job. People should love what they do. I guess uni is also a capitalist thing that our society runs on and can't get off.

And degrees matter so much more than learning natural skill, for example, if I wanted to be a designer, I would be more accepted if I studied a design course at TAFE or uni, rather than just asking people to teach me design and hoping I find a mentor. Even if I had talent or passion!

And the exceptions are few and far in between - like being good at makeup, or singing. Those things still require some aspect of study.

So uni. That's why I'm at uni. To choose to be "taught", upskill and "upscale" myself in society's eyes, so that I can hopefully do something I love while making a living and helping others along the way  :) Hope it all goes well for us all
ATAR: 89.55
⸜( ˙ ˘ ˙)/ ・゚☆✧ Sometimes wrong numbers are the right numbers ~ Cecelia Ahern

☽ “But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.” - Yeats