Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 04:23:05 am

Author Topic: Breadth Subjects at Melb Uni  (Read 8861 times)  Share 

squance

Breadth Subjects at Melb Uni
« on: January 18, 2008, 11:48:55 am »
Anyone who is doing a New generation degree or doing a Bachelor of Engineering at Melb uni are required to pick a quarter of subjects outside their degree....

Has anyone thought about which breadth subjects they want to take? For me, Im thinking commerce related subjects....

azhtey

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Re: Breadth Subjects at Melb Uni
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 02:16:35 pm »
Hey i just wanted to ask something. If im studying commerce at melb uni am i able to choose breadth subjects such as eco and management & marketing. Or am i not allowed cos they r in my core or something. I dont really understand this stuff.
"BROWS"

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 03:11:06 pm »
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 03:14:16 pm by Toothpick »

nak

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 05:44:11 pm »
I will be doing engineering and am thinking of taking up a commerce related subjected.
I am still deciding between: Accounting Reports and Analysis, Managing People and Organisations AND Introductory Microeconomics.
Don't know which one to choose yet but preferably an easy subject with girls :D
since im doing engineering, its a guarantee that at least 95% of the students are male. Therefore i need at least 1 subject with girls -____- and i also went to a male only secondary school.

brendan

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 07:34:55 pm »
I will be doing engineering and am thinking of taking up a commerce related subjected.
I am still deciding between: Accounting Reports and Analysis, Managing People and Organisations AND Introductory Microeconomics.
since im doing engineering, its a guarantee that at least 95% of the students are male. Therefore i need at least 1 subject with girls -____- and i also went to a male only secondary school.

in that case you should do intro micro. its easy and its a compulsory subject for commerce, so you will be guaranteed lots of chix
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 07:37:09 pm by brendan »

Sheikh05

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 08:40:01 pm »
in that case you should do intro micro. its easy and its a compulsory subject for commerce, so you will be guaranteed lots of chix

you have swayed me as well  :)

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 08:41:56 pm »
I'm doing intro to micro too....  :D
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.

Sheikh05

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 08:44:12 pm »
Not you too!!!

My womenz  >:(

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 08:47:33 pm »
Don't worry about me, I'm going to uni to learn.  8)
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.

nak

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 08:52:28 pm »

In VCE i did not do any business or economics subjects, all i did were basically sciences and maths except english. Will i be able to cope with the work in microeconomics?

bebobebo

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 09:08:17 pm »
if you've done any extension or tertiary programs in vce, maybe even at monash, apply for credit so you'll have less breadth to do.

brendan

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 09:13:47 pm »

In VCE i did not do any business or economics subjects, all i did were basically sciences and maths except english. Will i be able to cope with the work in microeconomics?

yeah its an introductory course, and there are no prerequisites and VCE Economics is a joke anyway :P

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 09:39:15 pm »
Microeconomics is really just commonsense, however it does have a significant impact on people. I have heard lots of anecdotes about how economics students have changed their way of thinking since doing an economics subject.

I would recommend it.

Markos

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 09:49:51 pm »
I'm fitting my diploma of music (practical) in for my breadth subjects space

brendan

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 09:52:00 pm »
Microeconomics is really just commonsense, however it does have a significant impact on people. I have heard lots of anecdotes about how economics students have changed their way of thinking since doing an economics subject.

I would recommend it.

true
http://www.lawyersweekly.com.au/blogs/4/law-school

"I think I am becoming a capitalist. I feel bemused and, needless to say, a little horrified at the thought. I have come to this conclusion after finding myself agreeing more than usual with my Macroeconomics lecturer on matters of free trade and heatedly explaining to my mother how economic incentives are particularly useful in solving some inherent societal problems. It is true what they say, that you really learn to think at university, that you learn to question and you come away a changed person. Ideally, you leave university with the skills to change the world should you choose to."