Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 12:58:21 pm

Author Topic: How to be concise?  (Read 684 times)  Share 

emahlee

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
How to be concise?
« on: August 04, 2019, 01:24:06 pm »
+1
I have my paper 1 trails tomorrow and im super worried about not being able to finish on time.
I believe that one of the biggest reasons to why I always write unfinished essays is not being concise enough. I tend to unnecessarily stretch out my points which obviously wastes a lot of time when my two line explanation could be summed up in one line!
Anyone have any tips on how to be concise?  ;)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: How to be concise?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 05:03:30 pm »
+5
Hey! I found some websites with tips about writing concisely that could relate to exam and test situations specifically. (Here and here).

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: How to be concise?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 06:19:11 pm »
+5
I have my paper 1 trails tomorrow and im super worried about not being able to finish on time.
I believe that one of the biggest reasons to why I always write unfinished essays is not being concise enough. I tend to unnecessarily stretch out my points which obviously wastes a lot of time when my two line explanation could be summed up in one line!
Anyone have any tips on how to be concise?  ;)

Hey, emahlee!

laura_ has provided some amazingly helpful guides which you can look at! I would also suggest using your reading time to really map out how much time you want to invest on each section. Once you've recognised the mark allocations for each question, consider what the key words are and focus on addressing those points specifically in your response. For example, if the question is on paradoxes, anomalies and inconsistencies, there's no need for you to discuss individual and collective human experiences unless it enhances your responses in any way. Identify what it is the question requires of you and ensure that you only address that much in the exam  :)

In the event you can tell that you're running out of time and you still have things to say, I would put the remaining ideas in dot points. This can enable you to briefly jot down what you would have liked to have said as well. Markers are always looking for ways to give marks, not deduct them  :) I've attached an example of how I would do it under exam conditions below.

Sample Response
Poetic voice is crafted to explore and invite reflection on one’s personal identity. The opening exclamation “I’m Nobody!” in Text 1 diminishes expectations on how we value ourselves individually. Employing a declarative tone, the persona announces an ironically underwhelming sense of self. 
  • Reflection encouraged in reader in “Are you – Nobody – too?”
    Syntax and hyphens for contemplation.
    Own version of identity and provokes stronger reflection on how we view and understand ourselves.

Hope that helps and all the best for your Trials tomorrow!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 06:22:27 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music