Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:10:13 pm

Author Topic: Answer a biology question!  (Read 12277 times)  Share 

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Answer a biology question!
« on: September 07, 2017, 07:05:01 pm »
So I know there's a game thread like this and I thought it might help us revise if anyone is interested. Or just ignore me if this is a horrible idea lol.  The idea is you ask a question (from any content covered this year) and the person below has to answer and ask there own question. Fell free to add things to other peoples answers too. I'll start

Name one way someone could artificially acquire passive immunity. (1 mark)
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
Re: Answer a biology question!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 07:45:45 pm »
+1
It can be passed on from parent to offspring.

Describe how a vaccine helps to keep an individual immune to a disease. Hint: describe in terms of the immune response, and the primary and secondary response. (3)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 07:49:23 pm »
+5

Describe how a vaccine helps to keep an individual immune to a disease. Hint: describe in terms of the immune response, and the primary and secondary response. (3)
hey OG just a small problem.  :)

Antibodies passed from parents to offspring is actually naturally occuring passive immunity.
An example of an artificially occuring type of passive immunity would be injection of antibodies.

I'll leave your question for someone to answer :)

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 07:52:13 pm »
+3
hey OG just a small problem.  :)

Antibodies passed from parents to offspring is actually naturally occuring passive immunity.
An example of an artificially occuring type of passive immunity would be injection of antibodies.

I'll leave your question for someone to answer :)
Ah, sorry. I glimpsed through the question, sorry about that ahaha

omgvce

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 11:17:09 pm »
+1

A vaccine contains antigens of the pathogen being vaccinated against, which trigger the clonal expansion of specific B cells with receptors for this antigen into B plasma cells and B memory cells. Memory cells are retained in the individuals, such that in the secondary exposure to the same antigen, these B memory cells quickly differentiate into more B plasma cells to produce more specific antibodies against the antigen at a faster rate than in the primary response. Hence, the individual has long term humoral immunity against the pathogen being vaccinated against.

Question: Drosophila flies must perform a courtship dance to attract their female mates. Only wild type wings allow the flies to do so. If a mutation occured, producing flies with curly wings as determined by a dominant allele, how long would it take for this trait to be wiped out of the population? (2 marks)

:)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 11:18:57 pm by omgvce »

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 07:34:29 am »
+1

A vaccine contains antigens of the pathogen being vaccinated against, which trigger the clonal expansion of specific B cells with receptors for this antigen into B plasma cells and B memory cells. Memory cells are retained in the individuals, such that in the secondary exposure to the same antigen, these B memory cells quickly differentiate into more B plasma cells to produce more specific antibodies against the antigen at a faster rate than in the primary response. Hence, the individual has long term humoral immunity against the pathogen being vaccinated against.

Question: Drosophila flies must perform a courtship dance to attract their female mates. Only wild type wings allow the flies to do so. If a mutation occured, producing flies with curly wings as determined by a dominant allele, how long would it take for this trait to be wiped out of the population? (2 marks)

:)

Good answer!

I think your question is interesting (and a 1/2 question for once!) but it's unanswerable. I think you're implying that flies with curly wings absolutely can't breed. If that were the case, it would take one generation for the trait to disappear.
It's actually not the case though; lots of Drosophila have curly wings (so many that I've actually seen it myself! :)).

Describe the mechanism by which Relenza (zanamivir) slows the spread of influenza through a population [4 marks]

I want you to describe the molecular basis but also reflect on why we prescribe this drug in bulk in flu season :)
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 09:35:13 pm »
Good answer!

I think your question is interesting (and a 1/2 question for once!) but it's unanswerable. I think you're implying that flies with curly wings absolutely can't breed. If that were the case, it would take one generation for the trait to disappear.
It's actually not the case though; lots of Drosophila have curly wings (so many that I've actually seen it myself! :)).

Describe the mechanism by which Relenza (zanamivir) slows the spread of influenza through a population [4 marks]

I want you to describe the molecular basis but also reflect on why we prescribe this drug in bulk in flu season :)
Just looking through the Bio forum and found this gem. Let's see if we can bring it back to life!

EDIT: this revival attempt probably would have been more successful about a week ago. I think most people are exhausted from bio, however I have a unabating addiction to answering bio questions (regardless of my poor skills) and need an outlet.

Relenza is a rationally designed drug with a specific conformation and charge complementary to the active site of enzyme neuraminidase on the influenza virus which functions to cleave the connection (docking protein) between a virus and host cell in the replication cycle of influenza. As such, Relenza will bind to the active site of neuraminidase and cause inhibition of its function to cleave the virus-host cell connection and thus prevent the completion of the virus replication cycle. This reduces the spread of influenza within the host organism treated with Relenza and will enable the immune system to more effectively deal with the infection. Since Relenza functions to block the active site of neuraminidase, it is thus a competitive inhibitor and as such its efficacy in preventing virus spread is improved when in greater concentration in allowing out-competition for the neuraminidase active site. Bulk use of Relenza would also not carry with it the same ethical concerns over production of resistant influenza as neuraminidase is highly conserved and unchanging (at least that is what I gather but may be wrong).

EDIT: I tried editing my answer to make it less horrendous, but alas I think I will not satisfy the 4 marks

My question:
Explain why mtDNA is commonly used over DNA for molecular clock analysis and determining evolutionary relatedness
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 07:58:22 pm by Erutepa »
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 11:05:16 am »
+1
My question:
Explain why mtDNA is commonly used over DNA for molecular clock analysis and determining evolutionary relatedness
Mitochondrion are found in all Eukaryotes which allows the evolutionary relationship of a large number of species to be compared. The critical role mitochondrion play in sustaining complex life means that coding sequences of mtDNA are highly conserved and have the same function across species whereas sections of nuclear coding DNA may have different functions in a variety of species. The mutation rate of mtDNA is known, and the mutation rate of non-coding regions of mtDNA is high, which allows relatedness to be measured to a higher degree of accuracy than using nuclear DNA.

Question:
List four factors that can affect the rate of photosynthesis.

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 11:26:59 am »
Question:
List four factors that can affect the rate of photosynthesis.
1. Carbon dioxide concentration
2. light intensity
3. Temperature
4. The quantity of light harvesting pigments (e.g chlorophyll)

Question: name a element of the first line of defense (1m) and state its function (1m)
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

alexthenerd

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 08:14:57 am »
+3
Question: name a element of the first line of defense (1m) and state its function (1m)

An element of the first line of defence is mucous and cilia in the respiratory tract. Mucous helps trap any non-self particles and the cilia then push the mucous up the respiratory tract to allow it to be swallowed. This protects the lungs from any pathogens.

Question: Describe the process of translation.
2019: biology (42)
2020: english language, methods, chemistry, further, music performance

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 12:20:56 am »
+1
Question: Describe the process of translation.
Answers to this question could vary a bit depending on the number of marks allocated, however I've decided to treat it as a 3 or 4 mark question given that it is a 'describe' question about a process :)

Translation occurs when a ribosome binds to the 5' end of an mRNA molecule. When the ribosome reaches the START sequence of the mRNA, it begins synthesising a polypeptide chain made up of amino acids. These amino acids are brought to the ribosome from the cytosol by tRNA possessing an anticodon that is complementary to the mRNA's codon. The ribosome catalyses the formation of peptide bonds between amino acids, adding them to the growing polypeptide chain. This continues until a STOP codon, where the polypeptide chain is released.

Question:
Explain the structural difference between a polypeptide chain and a protein.

Bucket Hat

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 12:27:53 am »
+1
Explain the structural difference between a polypeptide chain and a protein
A polypeptide chain refers merely to a sequence of amino acids.
A protein can include multiple polypeptide chains (if it has quaternary structure) and the term 'protein' also relates not just to the sequence of amino acids, but also to the secondary and tertiary configurations of the biologically-active molecule (i think)

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 08:51:18 am »
A polypeptide chain refers merely to a sequence of amino acids.
A protein can include multiple polypeptide chains (if it has quaternary structure) and the term 'protein' also relates not just to the sequence of amino acids, but also to the secondary and tertiary configurations of the biologically-active molecule (i think)
*psssst*
you need to come up with another question :)
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Bucket Hat

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 11:55:28 am »
Oh lol sorry!

Question: do lipid or polar-soluble signalling molecules cause faster cellular responses? justify!

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 10:52:51 pm »
Oh lol sorry!

Question: do lipid or polar-soluble signaling molecules cause faster cellular responses? justify!
Polar (water soluble) signaling molecules bind to membrane-bound receptor proteins and elicit the activation of many second messengers in a signal cascade to transduce the signal and bring about a cellular response. Since the precursors of the signaling molecules are usually 'ready' to be activated and the signal cascade causes the amplification of the signal, polar signaling molecules tend to bring about rapid response. Non-polar (lipid-soluble) signaling molecules bind to intracellular receptor proteins, forming a signal-receptor complex which often acts as a transcription factor and brings about a relatively slow response of altering gene expression. As such, polar signaling molecules typically cause a faster cellular response.

My question:
In forests, short plants that grow low to the ground under the shade of taller plants tend to develop leaves with much larger surface areas than plants in direct sunlight.
a) Explain the evolutionary advantage of larger leaves for these plants

b) A low growing plant species possessing small leaves was introduced to a forest environment where it receives little direct sunlight. Explain the process of natural selection that may occur to this introduced plant species to result in the development of larger leaves over time.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 11:00:53 pm by Erutepa »
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point