Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:10:16 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3571746 times)  Share 

sarah15

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #11655 on: May 09, 2019, 07:38:19 pm »
Hi I have a few questions.
If a question asks to define signal transduction, is it asking to define the pathway (reception, transduction, response) or the stage (second messengers, enzyme cascade)?
Why does insulin have different responses in muscle, liver and adipose tissue?
Is the difference between the duration of hydrophobic and hydrophilic signalling that hydrophobic signalling is longer lasting because it relies on the hormone receptor complex to relay the message to the nucleus, while the duration of hydrophilic signalling is short lived because of the enzyme cascade which means that more signals reach the nucleus.
Thank you.

w0lfqu33n89

• Trendsetter
  • This is my text until I find another poetic quote
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #11656 on: May 09, 2019, 09:11:24 pm »
HIIIIIIIII! doing a year 11 sac on Homeostasis! studying my butt off but just incase I am missing anything what are key bits I need to know and remember? TIA

Ans0007

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #11657 on: May 09, 2019, 09:33:44 pm »
+1
are all hydrophilic substances polar? and hydrophobic substances nonpolar?? ???

DBA-144

• MOTM: APR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #11658 on: May 09, 2019, 09:44:28 pm »
+3
Hi I have a few questions.
If a question asks to define signal transduction, is it asking to define the pathway (reception, transduction, response) or the stage (second messengers, enzyme cascade)?
Why does insulin have different responses in muscle, liver and adipose tissue?
Is the difference between the duration of hydrophobic and hydrophilic signalling that hydrophobic signalling is longer lasting because it relies on the hormone receptor complex to relay the message to the nucleus, while the duration of hydrophilic signalling is short lived because of the enzyme cascade which means that more signals reach the nucleus.
Thank you.

Pretty sure that it would just refer to the stage, i.e the stuff that happens after reception that lead to the response.

Insulin has different responses in different tissues due to the different signal transduction mechanisms that exist in each of the different types of tissue. eg. muscle cells might have X second messenger which activates a, b and c second messengers (or enzymes) and this leads to a signal cascade that finally elicits the reponse (glucose uptake from the bloodstream). However, the lvier cells may have a different second messenger that activates x,y and z second messenger/enzymes, and hence this elicits a different response to the muscle cells as there are different molecules involved. Same idea for the adipose tissue. 

Not sure about the last one. imo you are probably right, but I think that it also could have something to do with how the responses are different (sort of). What I am referring to here is the fact that the hormone receptor complex acts as a transcription factor, causing a change in gene expression and regulation, whereas the signal cascade just goes and activates an enzyme OR it will go into the nucleus and then initiate the synthesis of an effector protein which initiates the response. But yeah the main time difference would have to do with the signal transduction pathway, I think.

are all hydrophilic substances polar? and hydrophobic substances nonpolar?? ???

Yes.
PM me for Methods (raw 46) and Chemistry (raw 48) resources (notes, practice SACs, etc.)

I also offer tutoring for these subjects, units 1-4 :)

Rom_Dog

• Adventurer
  • You gotta' just straight up eat the lettuce
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #11659 on: May 11, 2019, 10:26:03 am »
+3
HIIIIIIIII! doing a year 11 sac on Homeostasis! studying my butt off but just incase I am missing anything what are key bits I need to know and remember? TIA

Hey! It's likely that your teachers will base your SAC on the points in the study design, the ones below relate to homeostasis.

- How regulation of factors is needed to maintain a relatively constant internal environment, explained by the stimulus-response model and the use of homeostatic mechanisms including feedback loops
- Factors regulated by homeostatic mechanisms in humans, including temperature, blood glucose and water balance
- Malfunctions in homeostatic mechanisms that result in diseases, including Type 1 diabetes and hyperthyroidism in humans.

A key parts of homeostasis to note is that too much or too little can be dangerous! The body has a many sophisticated biochemical and physiological mechanisms to keep variable such as temperature, ion concentrations and the pH of different areas of the body in a narrow range. It's also good to note examples for the two types of feedback loops, blood clotting is a good example of a positive feedback loop and thermoregulation is a good example of a negative feedback loop. If you've gone over it in class, you should definitely revise hyperthyroidism and type 1 diabetes too!

I hope this helps!!  :D

2019 - 2021: Biomed @ Monash!

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #11660 on: May 13, 2019, 08:20:17 pm »
Hi all,

Douchy on the Edrolo course says that Pheromones can be recognised and received by cells of different species/organisms. However, Atarnotes course notes and my teacher's slides have said that pheromones are only recognised and received by the same species.

If anyone could clear this up that would be great  :D

Thanks for all you help as always!
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #11661 on: May 13, 2019, 08:28:33 pm »
+1
 Pheromones are only received by members of the same species

In fact as per the [thrilling book] "Pheromones and Animal Behaviour", Pheromones are "substances secreted to the outside of an individual and received by a second individual of the same species in which they release a specific reaction, for example, a definite behaviour or developmental process"
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #11662 on: May 13, 2019, 08:51:33 pm »
Pheromones are only received by members of the same species

In fact as per the [thrilling book] "Pheromones and Animal Behaviour", Pheromones are "substances secreted to the outside of an individual and received by a second individual of the same species in which they release a specific reaction, for example, a definite behaviour or developmental process"

Thanks!!!!!!
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

eesimon

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #11663 on: May 14, 2019, 06:50:02 pm »
Hi!
For my depth study, I am investigating DNA profiling and I am trying to nail down some of the basics. However, I am confused about the following questions:
Are introns located in genes or between genes?
If introns are cut out of the new mRNA strand during splicing and broken down into nucleotides to be used again, how are they used in DNA profiling?

Thanks!

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #11664 on: May 14, 2019, 07:00:47 pm »
+5
Hi!
For my depth study, I am investigating DNA profiling and I am trying to nail down some of the basics. However, I am confused about the following questions:
If introns are cut out of the new mRNA strand during splicing and broken down into nucleotides to be used again, how are they used in DNA profiling?

Thanks!
Introns are segments within a gene that are spliced out during Pre mRNA splicing/modification.
Since they are only spliced from the Pre mRNA molecule, they still exist within the chromosomal DNA and thus could still be targeted for sequencing in DNA profiling.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

f0od

• Forum Regular
« Reply #11665 on: May 19, 2019, 01:32:57 pm »
Why do plants (or chickpeas in this case) consume more oxygen when they are germinating as opposed to when they are not germinating?

Thankss
class of 2019

zuijinde

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #11666 on: May 19, 2019, 02:07:44 pm »
+2
Why do plants (or chickpeas in this case) consume more oxygen when they are germinating as opposed to when they are not germinating?

Thankss
Not too sure, but I suppose it's something to do with its dormancy cycle. Dormancy is when an organism limits its metabolism to conserve energy, so when they germinate, they probably need more oxygen to compensate when they were dormant.

brigmarks

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #11667 on: May 19, 2019, 02:40:21 pm »
+3
Hi!

Thanks!

Hey! Sounds like a really cool in depth study topic!
- So introns are located within genes- the name intron comes from 'intragenic region' and these are spliced out during intron splicing

- The process of DNA profiling means that DNA molecules (not mRNA strands) are being tested for their coding so it doesn't matter what is being removed from RNA, scientists are just concerned with everything contained within the DNA

- The reason introns are tested is that exons (which code for useful proteins) can't be drastically different/ mutated between people because we need properly working proteins to survive and mutations in exons might mean that an organism cant survive, but mutations in introns don't impact the survivability of the organism, because these occur randomly. Over time, there is more genetic difference in introns than for exons, (these can be silent mutations), meaning these introns can be used to identify people e.g. by linking them to crime scenes and determining relatedness (because these randomly mutated, different introns are heritable)

Hope that helps and good luck with your in depth study!!

interessant

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #11668 on: May 20, 2019, 09:34:57 pm »
Hello hello :)
does anyone have any ways to improve experimental accuracy? It's how close your result is to the true value, and I absolutely can't think of any ways. Whatever I think of end up falling in either validity or reliability.

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #11669 on: May 21, 2019, 05:57:29 pm »
+1
Hello hello :)
does anyone have any ways to improve experimental accuracy? It's how close your result is to the true value, and I absolutely can't think of any ways. Whatever I think of end up falling in either validity or reliability.

Maybe by using really accurate measuring devices, such as if you are weighing something, you want a scale with more decimal places, or if you are measuring temperature you want a digital thermometer that is more accurate than a regular one.
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)