Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:15:32 pm

Author Topic: Simulacra theory  (Read 4013 times)  Share 

kjade

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Simulacra theory
« on: September 07, 2017, 07:07:33 am »
Is anyone being taught the Simulacra theory in the final outcome? My teacher has mentioned it and roughly explained it but she won't teach it to the class as we are a small group (10 kids- at least 3 of them are doing non-atar) and she is worried we won't write about it well on the SAC/exam (we are not the strongest class either). Is it as difficult to write about as my teacher claims?

lilyrosee

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +25
Re: Simulacra theory
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 12:35:02 pm »
Is anyone being taught the Simulacra theory in the final outcome? My teacher has mentioned it and roughly explained it but she won't teach it to the class as we are a small group (10 kids- at least 3 of them are doing non-atar) and she is worried we won't write about it well on the SAC/exam (we are not the strongest class either). Is it as difficult to write about as my teacher claims?

I am doing media and we have not been taught that theory - only the main ones because I think you can choose which ones you want to discuss when it comes to the exam
2016: Psychology
2017: English [47] | Literature | Drama [42] | Media | Australian History [43]
2018 - 2020: Bachelor of Arts @ the University of Melbourne

VCE English Essay Marking $10 per essay or 3 essays for $20 - DM for details

laura1999

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 09:25:27 pm »
I've got some Baudrilard and Simulacra theory notes, just message me! That way you can see if you want to give it a crack in the exam.
VCE 2017 | Australian History 33 | English 39 | Indonesian SL 28 | Media 47 | Visual Communication Design 38 |  ATAR: 89.60

lilyrosee

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 08:04:30 am »
I've got some Baudrilard and Simulacra theory notes, just message me! That way you can see if you want to give it a crack in the exam.

Would you be able to please PM me those notes as well. I am intrigued to see other theories that my class hasn't been taught.

What texts are you writing on for narrative??

laura1999

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 10:37:54 am »
Would you be able to please PM me those notes as well. I am intrigued to see other theories that my class hasn't been taught.

What texts are you writing on for narrative??

Not a problem!
For narrative we're studying two Alfred Hitchcock films, Rear Window and Vertigo. What about you?
VCE 2017 | Australian History 33 | English 39 | Indonesian SL 28 | Media 47 | Visual Communication Design 38 |  ATAR: 89.60

laura1999

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 10:46:04 am »
+1
Pretty brief, but at keast you can touch on it if need be.

Baudrillard and Simulacra: French theorist Jean Baudrillard believed that the media constructs a copy (representation) of the real world and that copy comes the version of the ‘real world’ that audiences start to reference. After a while, this representation becomes the accepted version of events and people begin to think of this as the reality. The TV series underbelly painted the picture of the Melbourne Gangland war in the early 2000s. Ask a lot of people, they would say information about the criminals, however this info would be based off the information they saw depicting the criminals on TV, rather than real information of what they did in real life. Simulacra is what he calls a false reality that is made up of representations so convincing that they have replaced what was once real. E.g., Sovereign Hill.

lilyrosee

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 11:16:01 am »
Not a problem!
For narrative we're studying two Alfred Hitchcock films, Rear Window and Vertigo. What about you?

Thanks for the info - I will have a read over it and maybe discuss with my teacher!

Our class is doing 'V for Vendetta' and 'The Dark Knight' - not the films I typically watch but there is lots to talk about in regards to narrative analysis!