Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:21:11 pm

Author Topic: How much Preliminary study should I do?  (Read 937 times)

JD99

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
How much Preliminary study should I do?
« on: May 24, 2017, 07:42:25 am »
Hey everyone :)
I don't feel I've retained everything from year 11, and there is likely to be some preliminary related questions in the exam. (i think!)
How much Preliminary revision would you suggest??

Thank you!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: How much Preliminary study should I do?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 10:41:43 am »
+1
Hey everyone :)
I don't feel I've retained everything from year 11, and there is likely to be some preliminary related questions in the exam. (i think!)
How much Preliminary revision would you suggest??

Thank you!!

Hey! Believe it or not, Prelim content doesn't play a large role by itself. Let's break it down for how your subjects are assessed in HSC exams:

Standard English: Completely non-assessable, you only do Prelim English to get used to writing essays and creatives, and analysing texts. Don't do any revision!
General Maths:  A sizeable amount of your exam will be Prelim, investing a decent chunk of your study time for General into brushing over Prelim content is definitely a must.
Modern History: No personal experience, but Prelim isn't directly assessable. Some might be good knowledge that forms foundation of HSC stuff.
Senior Science: No personal experience, but Prelim isn't directly assessable. Some might be good knowledge that forms foundation of HSC stuff.
Legal Studies: Some of the knowledge is necessary to understand the HSC stuff - But in understanding the HSC, you inherently revise the Prelim stuff you need. Don't put any time into revising your Prelim content here (the notable exception, perhaps, being the criteria of effectiveness when analysing legal/non legal responses).

Essentially, for every subject besides General, you won't get directly assessed on Prelim content. So you shouldn't be spending much, if any, time revising your Prelim content. For General though, make sure you do put aside time to go over the Prelim content (maybe 25% of your time). It's really easy to forget the stuff you did at the start of Year 11 - If you make sure you allocate the time though, it should come back to you quite quickly! ;D

JD99

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
Re: How much Preliminary study should I do?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 11:40:21 am »
Thanks very much!
I was thinking I needed to do way more, so it's a big relief to hear it's pretty much only for Maths!

Thank you :)