Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 10:15:49 am

Author Topic: Going on exchange affecting hsc?  (Read 777 times)

EclipseApocalypse

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Going on exchange affecting hsc?
« on: November 11, 2018, 10:59:50 am »
Hey guys I've already completed my HSC this year but I'm asking this on behalf of my cousin (just started yr12) who's going on an exchange to Japan for 3 months in a few week or so. Due to this her school is cramming all her assignment/assessment in the weeks prior to her going to Japan which is obviously going to affect how she performs in the exams (since she hasn't learnt all the content yet) + going to Japan for a while will also affect her other content learning and therefore her atar. She tried to apply for exchange last year while she was in yr11 but was rejected as she was under 16 and so was only accepted this year. What can she do in this scenario cos I recommended applying for EAS but that is only if it was 6months+ of having your schooling affected.

liladh

• Adventurer
  • ☆☆☆☆☆
  • Respect: +12
Re: Going on exchange affecting hsc?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 10:32:49 am »
+6
Hey guys I've already completed my HSC this year but I'm asking this on behalf of my cousin (just started yr12) who's going on an exchange to Japan for 3 months in a few week or so. Due to this her school is cramming all her assignment/assessment in the weeks prior to her going to Japan which is obviously going to affect how she performs in the exams (since she hasn't learnt all the content yet) + going to Japan for a while will also affect her other content learning and therefore her atar. She tried to apply for exchange last year while she was in yr11 but was rejected as she was under 16 and so was only accepted this year. What can she do in this scenario cos I recommended applying for EAS but that is only if it was 6months+ of having your schooling affected.

Hey!  :D
This is a really hard situation and the outcome can really depend on the type of person. While I personally didn't go on exchange, one of my best friends went to Italy for 3 months and found it an extremely rewarding experience, resulting in her becoming fluent in the language and ultimately performing better in her Italian exam!! She studied her other subjects while she was there but did find it difficult to juggle Australian school commitments, Italian school work and also her social life and interaction with her host family, yet made it work to her benefit.

I would recommend for your cousin to definitely talk to her careers advisor and year advisor at school about the options available, and as I am unsure of the measures taken regarding disrupted schooling due to student exchange, perhaps contact NESA or discuss with someone in authority about the issue, and see if this would constitute an EAS application. Also encourage your cousin to look into early entry schemes at uni's such as Wollongong, Macquarie, Western Sydney, etc., who would really value your cousin's unique exchange experience in her application!

Here are some early entry programs available:

Macquarie Uni Global Leadership Exchange Program: this would be great for your cousin as they value determination, leadership and perserverance, qualities your cousin is representing due to her choice for exchange! (She could discuss leadership through cross-cultural communication, etc.
    https://www.mq.edu.au/study/high-school-students/getting-into-university/macquarie-entry/global-leadership-entry-program

Wollongong Early Entry: https://www.uow.edu.au/early-admission/

While these programs don't begin until later in the year, at least this could give your cousin something to think about! However, I think that she should focus on planning how she will keep up with her workload overseas as well as enjoying the experience rather than worrying over the ATAR - with hardwork, she can definitely achieve her goals!!

Going on exchange during the HSC year is undeniably going to be difficult, but since your cousin is leaving earlier in the first term of Year 12, it may be easier to juggle as the workload is not as heavy as it can get later in the year. I hope that some others can give you some advice from their own personal experience, but I hope that this is helpful!  :)[/list]
    « Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:35:34 am by liladh »
    HSC 2018: English Advanced ✼ Ancient History (5th in the state) ✼ History Extension ✼ Society and Culture ✼ Visual Arts ✼ Japanese Continuers