Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:56:41 am

Author Topic: minigoals for miniturtle  (Read 2932 times)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
minigoals for miniturtle
« on: December 07, 2018, 10:45:38 am »
+27
Hey! :)

Something I realised part way through the year was that even though the impact through science units (Global Challenges specific units) are incredibly valuable to me, sometimes it's hard to keep track of the progress I'm making since it's so focused on personal and community development. Additionally, since second year is focused more on developing entrepenerial skills I'm not sure if my uni journey journal will be the most appropriate place for these reflections.
 Anyway, rather than working towards 1 big goal this will be mainly dedicated to the multitude steps along the way which contribute to growth.

The story so far:
- For a long time, phone calls have been stress inducing for me. For example, when I was chairman of my venturer scout unit we needed to ring up this archery place to make a booking. I had originally delegated this task to a friend in the unit council but they were quite stressed about it so of course I said I'd do it instead. I spent about an hour making a flowchart of everything that could happen in the conversation and psyching myself up to actually call them. This year I've made or answered so many phone calls that I'm fine with them - yesterday I called someone on a whim.
- I've been a confident speaker for a while, but I've made a lot of progress this year in using emotional expressiveness and transparency in speeches
- I've also become more open and expressive as a person generally
- I've been getting better at letting myself take breaks, not having to be at 100% all the time (academically, community-wise, personally...) etc.
- Unfortunately, I haven't been taking the best care of my health this year. Opening up to people and allowing imperfection has helped my mental health, but I'd like to improve my levels of exercise, sleep habits & eating patterns to improve my overall wellbeing. Ideally I'd like to take up rock climbing again (in the past I've done this indoors) but then I'd need someone to be my climbing partner so idk
- This year I did a bunch of planning for a year 8 STEM camp to run at a disadvantaged school. Paperwork delays from a 3rd party have pushed that to term 2 next year, I'd really like to have everything sorted and ready for that early next year.

So to sum up, my personal development goals atm:
- improve wellbeing
- have STEM camp ready next year

minigoal focuses for next week:
Be asleep by 11pm
Have 3 nutritous meals a day

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: minigoals for miniturtle
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 01:40:24 pm »
+8
LOVE THIS MINITURTLE!!!
KEEP ON GOING  ;D ;D
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 01:45:27 pm »
+8
LOVE THIS MINITURTLE!!!
KEEP ON GOING  ;D ;D

Thankyou!!! I appreciate the support!! :D

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 01:47:49 pm »
+8
Thankyou!!! I appreciate the support!! :D

This looks great! I'm so happy you're working on this, and glad you're being open. That's really inspiring <3

Remember to eat today ;)
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 02:08:40 pm »
+11

This looks great! I'm so happy you're working on this, and glad you're being open. That's really inspiring <3

Remember to eat today ;)

You're a gem <3 

If people like you and reptiles like Caleb hadn't talked about their personal journeys it very unlikely that I would've started this, so (and for other reasons) thank you :)

Right back at ya ;)

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 08:45:13 pm »
+8
You've got this mini! :))

Also with the sleeping by x time- if I've been going to bed late, I'd go to sleep 10-30mins earlier than the night before (depending on if I need to quickly adjust or not) and so on each night until I hit the target time, otherwise diving from a 3am sleeptime to a 11pm sleeptime is pretty rough on me- don't know if this'll 100 work for you, but here's a suggestion for achieving that! <3

(Maybe yours and Poet's journals will inspire me to eat more- I need to kick the 'not eating' habit too <3 )
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 09:13:55 pm »
+9
You've got this mini! :))

Also with the sleeping by x time- if I've been going to bed late, I'd go to sleep 10-30mins earlier than the night before (depending on if I need to quickly adjust or not) and so on each night until I hit the target time, otherwise diving from a 3am sleeptime to a 11pm sleeptime is pretty rough on me- don't know if this'll 100 work for you, but here's a suggestion for achieving that! <3

(Maybe yours and Poet's journals will inspire me to eat more- I need to kick the 'not eating' habit too <3 )

Thankyou!!
& I appreciate the advice :)

I've been waking up around 6-7ish which I'm hoping will help me get back to a healthier pattern quicker (hence the somewhat ambitious goal); I'll definitely keep the idea of adjusting by small increments in mind  - it sounds very sensible:)

Best of luck for making progress <3 I've found others' journals helpful to me & I do hope the same effect aids you :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 08:17:40 pm »
+10
For the purposes of accountability I think weekly is a decent approach so here goes:

My focuses for the week were:
- eat 3 nutritious meals a day
- go to sleep by 11pm

I mostly suceeded.

The eating goal I've found fairly easy (support from s_a_p & insanpi has helped), but sleeping has been a bit more challenging.
Thing is, I can set aside time to eat prep the food, eat, clean up  -  goal accomplished
I can have decent sleep hygiene, go to bed - nothing. An hour later. Nothing still.    I hadn't really figured out a pattern for when I could fall asleep, even though I reliably wake up around 6. It's pretty frustrating.   I was doing alright for the first part of the week though, so that's something.

The approach for this subforum seems to be searing honesty and openess so let's see how I go.
not positive vibes, feel free not to read or to delay reading to a less emotionally intense day

- removed -

I'm alright now which is good - as in the past something like this would've taken much longer for me to recover from - but this has made me realise that although focusing on "general long term wellbeing" is nice & beneficial, I should also work on my short-term responses to emotional upheaval. Not entirely sure how I'll do that yet, but it's something I'll keep thing about.

Right now, I'm tired, feeling a bit drained, and better than ok.

Given my limited success this week, I'm going to try again with sleep. This time, more methodically.

next week's minigoals
- record the time at which I'm attempting to fall asleep
- shift each night forwards by at least 15 minutes (not required if I sleep by 9)
- start prepping dinner by 6 or within 30 minutes of getting home - whichever is earlier
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 11:16:05 am by Bri MT »

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 08:51:13 am »
+8
spoilered because reply to spoiler
The latter part of Wednesday was not fantastic & my mental state deteriorated pretty quicky. Sleep deprivation certainly didn't help. By then,  I'd realised that eating dinner earlier = significantly easier to fall asleep earlier (so that's something to work on for next week I think).
I ended up needing to choose between a) having a proper dinner and b) having dinner at a not-ridiculous hour ->  sleep. I chose sleep. Unfortunately, sleep did not choose me. I tried to sleep at about 9 (super e a r l y), and maybe entered a restful state 10ish.
Have you tried freezing meals or prepping them and putting them in the fridge so that you just have to heat them/cook them? Some of your inability to sleep could be due to you worrying that you're not sleeping - I wouldn't have a clue how to go about fixing that, but it's something to be aware of.

- removed -

I'm alright now which is good - as in the past something like this would've taken much longer for me to recover from - but this has made me realise that although focusing on "general long term wellbeing" is nice & beneficial, I should also work on my short-term responses to emotional upheaval. Not entirely sure how I'll do that yet, but it's something I'll keep thing about.
This might seem a bit counterproductive, but I've found that short-term, any sort of distraction helps - particularly a distraction that lets you do something with your hands without having to concentrate too much (e.g. colouring, oragami, knitting etc.). It's a bit harder at first to remember to do something, but if you find something that you can do then it sorta gets to the point where you can recognise that you need to do something to calm down and you have something to do. The reason I prefer things that you don't have to concentrate on is that it allows you to think through whatever you're worrying about but it's somehow different to worrying whilst doing nothing haha. Don't know if this is at all useful, but it's certainly worked better for me than just trying to relax or meditate etc. :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 11:16:53 am by Bri MT »
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 09:05:21 am »
+7
spoilered because reply to spoiler
Have you tried freezing meals or prepping them and putting them in the fridge so that you just have to heat them/cook them? Some of your inability to sleep could be due to you worrying that you're not sleeping - I wouldn't have a clue how to go about fixing that, but it's something to be aware of.
This might seem a bit counterproductive, but I've found that short-term, any sort of distraction helps - particularly a distraction that lets you do something with your hands without having to concentrate too much (e.g. colouring, oragami, knitting etc.). It's a bit harder at first to remember to do something, but if you find something that you can do then it sorta gets to the point where you can recognise that you need to do something to calm down and you have something to do. The reason I prefer things that you don't have to concentrate on is that it allows you to think through whatever you're worrying about but it's somehow different to worrying whilst doing nothing haha. Don't know if this is at all useful, but it's certainly worked better for me than just trying to relax or meditate etc. :)

re: PF's spoiler

Some good advice there :)
I'd fallen out of the habit of doing food prep in advance but it would be a good idea to go back to that.

I have some macramé from when a coursemate ran an art for mental health workshop so I might go back to working on that to build the habit in
Definitely takes time for me to build strong enough habits that I remember them when I need to, but I do think that this is a useful idea. :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 06:58:11 pm »
+11
my focuses for the week were
- record the time at which I'm attempting to fall asleep
- shift each night forwards by at least 15 minutes (not required if I sleep by 9)
- start prepping dinner by 6 or within 30 minutes of getting home - whichever is earlier

This week went much better than last. Yesterday I slept significantly later than planned (I was posting on the forums), but otherwise I've been going pretty well with my goals and hitting them faster than expected. I think I might change my ideal time to 8:30, but this may prove to be difficult once I start uni again. Some things to think about are setting "go to sleep soon" alarms & prepping food in advance. (I made double quantities so I could have an easy dinner twice this week and both times it was useful.) I've liked waking up at 6am now that I'm getting a more reasonable quantity and quality of sleep; maybe when I'm not trying to get to Monash early I could do exercise in the morning?

From Sunday to early January I'll be going away camping. I'll head into town (where signal is) for a couple of important posts but won't be making an entry for this thread. Camping is generally good for me, so I'll hopefully be enriching my wellbeing anyway.My next set of minigoals will be determined after I get back.

I look forward to the growth brought by 2019 - may it be a fulfilling and rewarding year :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 08:22:02 pm »
+12
Alright, so a fair amount of time has passed since my last post so here's a summary:
 - camping with family was good but could've been better. On the plus side: nature & outdoor pursuits are always great for me, on the minus side: some family drama & my sleeping and eating became worse rather than better
 - the next week I was at Monash for a few days (will update uni journal) - was pretty good
 - the week after (starting the 11th) was not fantastic. Barely ate & did not have a healthy sleep pattern
 - after that week I went away camping with friends for three days and had lots of fun + fixed sleeping and eating patterns -> great experience
 - 2 days after camping with friends I was with family on the great ocean road. Pros: I love the ocean Cons: mild family drama and some disruption to healthy habits
 - that brings us to this week which, aside from AN, has been fairly average.

I'm going to sleep later than I would like but still averaging a decent amount and eating pretty consistently, and my headspace seems alright.

I've just finished writing in my "monthly" double page for February in a small journal and have created columns for some activities I'll keep track of through the whole month. The three activities I have chosen are:
- Exercise. I want to be more fit & know that exercise is beneficial for my wellbeing in multiple ways - including for my ability to sleep. I'll be tracking this as: a) actively did some exercise b) denoting every half hour of exercise completed. I'll only be able to track up to a max of 6 hours a day using this method but I don't think that'll be a problem :P
- Sleep. I know sleep has a big impact on my productivity headspace etc and it's something I'll be continuing to work on. I'll be tracking this as a) When I wake up, I get straight out of bed and see some (day)light b) going to sleep no later than on the previous night c) denoting every additional half hour early to a max of 2 hours
- Reflection/Art. I like drawing, creative writing, reflecting etc (don't tell my year 9 self or they might question my identity). I'm interested to see if I notice any improvement in my wellbeing from consistently practicing this. I'll be tracking this as a) Engaged in a reflective activity b) engaged in an artistic activity c) denoting every half hour to a max of 2 hours

Note that my aim is not to fill up the max time I can denote  - I'm just leaving that room so I can record what does happen

next week's minigoals
- track monthlies as outlined above
- make my desk easily usable / clutter-free
- inbox 0 (I cannot stand having a cluttered inbox - tidying this should help anxiety and productivity)

Hope you've all had a start to the new year that you'll significantly grow from! :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 06:39:12 pm »
+13
my focuses for the week were:
- track monthlies as outlined above
- make my desk easily usable / clutter-free
- inbox 0 (I cannot stand having a cluttered inbox - tidying this should help anxiety and productivity)

And I'd say I've 90% succeeded.  I've been consistently tracking my monthlies (reflection & art, sleep and exercise), my desk is clutter free and very usable for the first time in too long, and I've gotten one of my inboxes down to zero (shame it was my student inbox which is one of the easier ones to clear).

My week has been pretty good. I've managed to get a lot done at home & when there has been conflict there's been resolution. The past few weeks have been a bit intense in terms of family relationships changing but I think I've gotten through most of the emotional havoc assorted with that ok; so my goals are going to be focused on productivity rather than emotional wellbeing.

How's everyone going with any goals they have/had for the week?

next week's minigoals
- all inboxes at 0
- watch a marine science lecture or maths video every day
- create a plan for my maths and bio units