Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:50:50 am

Author Topic: whys' VCE journal  (Read 79707 times)

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
Re: The Adventures of VCE | whys' journal
« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2020, 05:28:54 pm »
+9
I've kept mine so I can use them as inspiration for making resources for students
That seems like a good idea!

Happy New Year everyone!! (a day late but oh well)
2020 is going to be THE year! All the best movies are releasing too - I can’t wait for Wonder Woman 1984 and A Quiet Place Part II, plus a bunch more. Not to mention it’s year 12: the big year!! I’m super nervous but excited. Nervous about scores and ATARs, but excited for the journey. I can’t believe I’ll be in uni in a year, sometimes I still feel like i’m 12 and I wish I could go back to being a carefree kid who didn’t have any responsibility haha. I hope that’s not just me! I’ve done no holiday homework and have wasted away the first month of the holidays doing random things and going out. My plans for finishing holiday homework and doing some intense studying in the first month certainly didn’t work out, like always. Hopefully this year I don’t end up trying to do all my holiday homework at school right before class like last year :(. One more month to go! Maybe, by luck, I’ll be able to finish my holiday homework AND get to do some extra study (highly unlikely but I like to hope). I hope your holidays have been good so far and that you got to rest up before 2020!!!!  :D
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2020, 06:59:56 pm »
+1
That seems like a good idea!

I’ve done no holiday homework and have wasted away the first month of the holidays doing random things and going out.
Lol, same

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2020, 05:58:49 pm »
────────────────────── SATURDAY ──────────────────────
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2 This is exactly why I tried
out studying at school - because it's noise-free and practically distraction-free too. I'm so glad
I started studying at school, because even if my pace is much slower, it feels like I'm so much
more productive than at home and the information actually sinks in.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
─────────────────────23.02.19 ────────────────────
Hey whys,
I was wondering how long you stayed back at the library after school and if you maintained that throughout Exam Season?

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2020, 11:38:17 am »
+2
Hey whys,
I was wondering how long you stayed back at the library after school and if you maintained that throughout Exam Season?

I did it during some of term 1 and some of term 2 then stopped. I’d get picked up from school at 6 so I’d be home at around 6:15. So basically I stayed at school for 3 hours and 40 minutes, which at the start felt productive because I felt motivated to study for the whole 3 hours and 40 minutes. As days went by I spent more time watching youtube and playing games on my laptop than studying at school. This was because my concentration was decreasing and I couldn’t study for that long straight after school, so in reality I studied for like an hour, maybe 2, and spent the rest of my time not studying. I found going home right after school was better because travelling home was like a break in between studying at school then at home. At home it was easier for me to take breaks, because I could get up, eat something, stretch my legs and do something else. It’s subjective though - if staying at school is productive for you then you should go ahead. It just didn’t work for me I guess.

EDIT; changed my first post and title of the journal (hopefully it's better now)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 06:18:44 pm by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
Re: whys' VCE journal
« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2020, 10:37:28 pm »
+6
Please tell me I am not the only one falling victim to Tik Tok... I could spend 24 hours on that app and still not get bored, plus it's super addicting. I didn't download it for ages because I thought it was cringey (it is) but now I literally can't get off it and I spend all my time on it (rip) which might be a problem once school starts.
Tik Tok has changed the way I view songs literally

ANYWAYS I've done nothing academic so far except UCAT (I do like 20 questions on days I feel like doing it, which is not much) so I've been feeling pretty bleh and unmotivated. I feel like swimming to the middle of the ocean and floating there for the rest of my life in peace, or listening to music while sitting on my bed doing nothing. I usually feel so motivated for the first month of a new year but I've lost my motivation pretty quickly this year, oops. Plus I've made efforts to achieve 0 of my new years resolutions. Hopefully when I check back I can write about doing something productive...
psych [50] bio [50]

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #125 on: January 09, 2020, 11:57:11 pm »
+2
Please tell me I am not the only one falling victim to Tik Tok... I could spend 24 hours on that app and still not get bored, plus it's super addicting. I didn't download it for ages because I thought it was cringey (it is) but now I literally can't get off it and I spend all my time on it (rip) which might be a problem once school starts.

ANYWAYS I've done nothing academic so far except UCAT (I do like 20 questions on days I feel like doing it, which is not much) so I've been feeling pretty bleh and unmotivated. I feel like swimming to the middle of the ocean and floating there for the rest of my life in peace, or listening to music while sitting on my bed doing nothing. I usually feel so motivated for the first month of a new year but I've lost my motivation pretty quickly this year, oops. Plus I've made efforts to achieve 0 of my new years resolutions. Hopefully when I check back I can write about doing something productive...
Delete it! That's what I did. Easy fix.

I'd suggest giving yourself a bit of a break on the 'feeling bleh' front. You still have a solid 3 weeks before school starts, and I presume you've done a little bit of study/homework before the Christmas break. You want to spend that last week before school starts as a rev-up (I basically treated it like school days), so it really ensures you start the year running.
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2020, 08:41:37 am »
+2
I was feeling exactly like that at the end of December. I worked so hard all year and then I spent the entire first month of my holidays doing things every single day and suddenly I had no energy to begin ploughing through the mountain of homework from school, let alone the other study I wanted to do to get ahead. I found that the first couple of days I tried to do things I wasn't very productive, but each day after that I got a little bit more done and my brain was trained a little bit more on my schoolwork. Hope you can find the motivation again soon!

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2020, 09:38:20 am »
+2

No, you're not the only one. I mean, I haven't downloaded the app or anything but the last week or so, I was watching random tiktok compilations on YouTube. Procrastination at its finest.

Yeah, I've been doing the same as you for UCAT. Trying to finish a test a day but it's not working so far. I'm so slow at answering the questions! Like it took me an hour ( probably more) to do 40 verbal reasoning questions. It's really bad. I have so much work to do. Are you doing UCAT preparation with a company?

At least you have new years resolutions! There's still like a year left to achieve them so you're fine!

As Jimmmy said, you should relax before school hits. You should give yourself some time to relax so that you're fresh and rejuvenated for Year 12. Don't be too hard on yourself.
 :)

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2020, 11:40:28 am »
+3
Don't worry, your not the only one. I haven't done anything either, and for the past 2 months I have had off, I feel the excat same as you. Super unmotivated and just meh.. Know that your not alone, and who knows, you may wake up one day and find your motivation.  Good luck though, and be happy that you have been able to do something (UCAT Questions). One thing I keep in mind too, is that it is going to be a really long and hard year. So don't be so hard on yourself that you haven't done much, and you will be doing alot throughout the year.
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2020, 01:24:32 pm »
+2
Delete it! That's what I did. Easy fix.
Good idea, lol. Why did I not think of that?!

I found that the first couple of days I tried to do things I wasn't very productive, but each day after that I got a little bit more done and my brain was trained a little bit more on my schoolwork. Hope you can find the motivation again soon!
Thanks laura! I hope I can find my motivation too ;D

Yeah, I've been doing the same as you for UCAT. Trying to finish a test a day but it's not working so far. I'm so slow at answering the questions! Like it took me an hour ( probably more) to do 40 verbal reasoning questions. It's really bad. I have so much work to do. Are you doing UCAT preparation with a company?
Same! I'm good with the decision making section (I always have time left over) but for verbal reasoning I take like a minute per question and you're only supposed to take 30 seconds. I bought medify and medentry, and I'm starting with doing the medify questions. What about you?

Know that your not alone, and who knows, you may wake up one day and find your motivation.  Good luck though, and be happy that you have been able to do something (UCAT Questions). One thing I keep in mind too, is that it is going to be a really long and hard year. So don't be so hard on yourself that you haven't done much, and you will be doing alot throughout the year.
Thanks Geoo!

I was feeling exactly like that at the end of December.
No, you're not the only one.
Don't worry, your not the only one.
#unmotivatedfor2020 gang
psych [50] bio [50]

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2020, 01:56:44 pm »
+1
Same! I'm good with the decision making section (I always have time left over) but for verbal reasoning I take like a minute per question and you're only supposed to take 30 seconds. I bought medify and medentry, and I'm starting with doing the medify questions. What about you?
WOW! That's so good! I haven't bought any commercial stuff yet. I've just been doing the practice questions on the UCAT website. How are you finding medify?

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2020, 02:04:47 pm »
+2
WOW! That's so good! I haven't bought any commercial stuff yet. I've just been doing the practice questions on the UCAT website. How are you finding medify?

Medify is really good! It's affordable compared to other options and it offers a really good question bank. I highly recommend it, and it's something that people who did the UCAT in 2019 also recommend. They also have mock exams and timed/untimed practice and give you strategies for each question type.
psych [50] bio [50]

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2020, 07:01:28 pm »
+10
No, this update is not to tell you I've started holiday homework, because I haven't.

BUT I'm excited for getting all my back-to-school stuff together (stationary + books). Also I feel like these holidays have unfortunately gone much quicker than anticipated... I'm a nervous wreck for next year! I'm posting my expectations below (note that I'm not aiming for these scores, they are just what I expect I'll get. I always say that you should aim for 50 and try your best!):

English (expectation: 43)
I think I can do really well in English if I can get to know my texts at a high standard and actually have a unique analysis of each of my texts, and don't bludge the oral sac. The only thing I need to improve on is my actual writing style, which needs to be more specific, clear and concise. Hopefully I can maintain A+ for my SACs and the exam. I want to focus on English more than my other subjects because a little difference in my study score can mean a big change for my ATAR. I want to dedicate one study period each week to just writing - a paragraph, an essay - anything. I think practice is key, and coupled with an effective feedback loop with my tutor and teacher can help me hopefully get higher than a 43, but we'll have to see!

Chemistry (expectation: 38)
This is the subject I like the least out of all my subjects. I definitely don't hate it, but it gets very tedious at times and there are many parts I don't enjoy. I really like organic chemistry though, so hopefully it won't feel like a chore to study unit 4. Food chemistry is the most appealing area of study for me: I LOVE FOOD. And it seems really interesting too - I'm so glad it's in the study design. I want to get as much knowledge as possible by delving deep into concepts so I feel I fully understand anything and don't have gaps in my knowledge, which is frightening come sac time. Hopefully youtube and khan academy help with this!

Methods (expectation: 46)
Maths is something I love doing, mostly because I feel I can pick up concepts very easily. However, I also forget them easily! I think for me to succeed in methods, I need constant practice, not practising for one week and doing no methods the next week. I breezed through unit 1/2 methods (excluding transformations, which I got 64% in) and ended up doing really well in the end of year exams. For 3/4, I just need to make sure I don't neglect this subject and actually try in it, which I completely failed to do in previous years. Also, I need to look into ways of minimising silly mistakes, because I always lose at least one mark each test for the dumbest things, which is so frustrating, especially when it keeps me from getting 100%.

Biology (expectation: 45)
I'm hoping bio will be similar to psych in terms of methods to write notes and ways to practice the content. I have a good bio teacher so I hope we can establish a good relationship that I can get the most out of - I asked so many questions in psych and I feel like it will be the same for bio. I think I'll enjoy this subject a lot with regards to the study design, but I'll have to wait and see to be sure. A lot of my friends did 3/4 bio in year 11 so I've got them for advice too, and I'll finally be able to understand all the bio references and jokes they made! (and made fun of me for not being able to understand any of them :()

All this lands me an ATAR of 99.30, but these expectations are really stretching what I think I can achieve. Hopefully when results come out I'll be pleasantly surprised, not disappointed. A lot comes down to luck too - how you feel on the day of the exam and if you're sick or not (I was sick during the food studies exam rip). My goal from the start has always been an ATAR in the high 99s, but I think this is quite difficult considering my bad relationship with chemistry and my lack of English skills. If I can push my English score to the high 40s, and take a proactive approach to chemistry, maybe I'll have a chance! To be fair, I just want an ATAR that's competitive for monash med - in the end, that's the ultimate goal.

I hope everyone is enjoying their holidays!
psych [50] bio [50]

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2020, 07:55:51 pm »
+3
Food chemistry is the most appealing area of study for me: I LOVE FOOD
SAME! I think it looks to be one of the most interesting parts of the course. It will also be interesting to see if food studies plays in a small amount. I don't expect much but who knows. But yes, unit four looks the most exciting, and I don't understand why people hate on organic chem, its great. Maybe i'm just too much of a nerd.

I'm like you with English, lets hope we both get better than expected! What books are you required to read?
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Seamus Wong

« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2020, 07:56:44 pm »
+1

English (expectation: 43)
I want to dedicate one study period each week to just writing - a paragraph, an essay - anything. I think practice is key, and coupled with an effective feedback loop with my tutor and teacher can help me hopefully get higher than a 43, but we'll have to see!

It's really really good that you understand what you need to do to succeed with English. I was pretty shit at English (got a B on year 11 exam  :-[ ) but I legit did exactly what you said you're planning on doing and I managed to actually get reasonably good at essay writing. And if you don't mess up any sacs throughout the year I reckon you can easily get 45+!
It'll be cool to look back on ur journal when the marks are released and see how your results varied to your expectations.
Good luck!!