Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:30:12 am

Author Topic: Monash 2015 Jaffy Tips & Questions Thread  (Read 32372 times)  Share 

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
Monash 2015 Jaffy Tips & Questions Thread
« on: February 17, 2015, 01:23:16 am »
+19
We did it last year. As a result of polonius' gentle nudging, we return for another blockbuster year! All the information below was pasted from last year and will slowly be edited to be current!. Last years is chock full of useful comments, please also refer to it! In true Monash tradition, its full of atrocious grammar and spelling that i may choose to correct later.

Since UoM already has one (and lets face it, we cant let them start thinking they're superior, things will get unruly), i thought we were about due for one too. Mao did write a thread five years ago (Monash Enrolment/O-week Guide) some of the information is still relevant but a lot of it is outdated. So, lets share a few tips around and jaffy's can ask any questions they want (no matter how silly they sound). I wish i knew all this in my first year, so, we're going to pass along our collective wisdom and hopefully it makes it a bit easier for those joining us at Monash!

Index

Transport

Computers & Study Spaces

Food, Drink and Coffee

Support Services, religious services and other helpful things

Clubs, Activities and Sport (TBC)

Studying, administration and exams(TBC)

Miscellaneous tips, lore and the chamber of secrets(TBC)

Transport

1. If you are coming in via train or from near there, the 601 bus is your best bet for getting to Monash. It only has two stops, Huntingdale Station and Monash. That's it. It comes every few minutes and there are two or three of them. Coming down the tunnel at huntingdale, you head to your left to get onto the street. You'll come to a set of lights, the 601 is around the corner of that brown building. There are other bus-stops in-front of it but they go further (but still go to Monash), the 601 is almost always quicker. 95% of the time people don't obey the lights there and just cross the road, i've only very rarely heard of people getting caught, use your own judgment but most people just walk straight across.

2. If you haven't previously used the train or bus much, you *need* a transport concession card. If you're not 100% sure what it is, you probably don't have one. Even if you have a concession myki, you still need to carry this special card with you at all time. There are inspectors on the train fairly regularly (especially away from during peak hours), you will get caught and fined eventually if you don't have one. The monash website fills it all in for you and even puts a photo of you in it (your ID photo). Most other uni's aren't so lucky. Just colour print it in the library and take it to a train-station, ASAP. It only costs like $10. Keep in mind even the day you travel to the library to get it printed you could be at risk. You could gamble it or use full fee until you do get it, up to you.

3. Monash has a "bus-loop" where all the buses congregate, they're all in one nice easy place. There's a myki machine there. Occasionally i have seen bus ticket inspectors float around, so, be careful about that.

Here's what the bus looks like as well, not hard to find since it's a big orange thing

That's all the transport related ones i can think of right now, i'll add more later and so can everyone else!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 02:23:20 am by slothpomba »

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
Re: Monash 2015 Jaffy Tips & Questions Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 01:25:26 am »
Computers & Study Spaces

Study spaces and libraries

1. There are a few different libraries. There is the Matheson (Humanities), Hargrave-Andrew (Science/Engineering) and Law Library. There is also the student run Medly Library for novels, magazines and other recreational items, apparently the cheapest printing on campus. They have beanbags.

2. I know this might sound kind of fucked up but the libraries actually aren't the most quiet places on campus, i'd wager they're some of the loudest. This is especially true for the main parts of them.

3. Hargrave has a basement, a ground floor and an upper level. They're all pretty noisy. Very far back on the ground floor is a quiet study area and that is *alright*. The basement can be quiet sometimes too. Most of the computers and printers are on the ground floor. There's also a freaky-ass sculpture in the entrance, i'll let you guys discover it for yourself.

4. Matheson has like 6 floors (or more?). It tends to be a tad bit quieter than hargrave in my opinion, probably do to the sheer size of it. The upper levels are just shelves and shelves of books with a few desks and things scattered around. If you want a quite and reliable place to go to indoors, these are a pretty good bet. They do tend to get fairly popular though. The book collection gets more obscure as you get up, level 3 had a manga version of Japanese financial crisis of the 90's. The very top level had demonology and erotica on the same shelf for some reason which raises even more question.

5. Under both the libraries are food places and inside the libraries are vending machines.

6. Matheson is open til midnight (give or take) and Hargrave is open til about 9pm. Hours are shorter on weekends/holidays.

7. The law library is the quietest of the bunch but also probably the smallest/least well equipped imo.

8. They're working on creating more and more informal study spaces in lobbies and things like that. In the Menzies (the main arts building, also the largest on campus) there is a lot of desks and chairs scattered around the various levels, these are a good bet too. A lot of buildings have spaces like this so just look around.

Computers and printing

1. The libraries are the obvious location here. Computers do tend to be taken fairly fast though, its quite normal at peak hours to have pretty much no computers free, so, i'd be weary of that and plan around it. If you wait long enough people will obviously get up though.

2. There are various computer labs scattered around campus. Some are general access and never scheduled. Others sometimes have classes in them, if they do, probably don't use them (you could ask though), otherwise, they're free.

3. Your student card has some kind of magical voodoo about it that lets you print with it (or a microchip, i'm gonna stick with voodoo though). Don't do what i did and buy the separate printing cards they offer, you don't need them. In the libraries there are terminals to charge up your card using coins. Near the printers are sensor pads you put your card on and they deduct your printing costs from your card. It'd be far cheaper to print at home (even inc. the cost of a printer) in the long run but if its just for a few pages here and there it's fine.

4. I don't know how it was at everyones school but you can go on pretty much any website you want at uni, there are no restrictions. It's quite usual to see people using facebook or watching movies/sports on the computer. It's alright if its during a break from work but if you're occupying a computer for a few hours to do it, its kind of dickish if other people need it to do work.

5. There's wifi everywhere and upstairs in the campus center, you can hook your laptops up to a few of the fairly large TV's they offer and watch movies on them or whatever else you like.

6. Underneath the campus center is a Microsoft facility. It's a little like an apple store in a way, except they don't sell anything. It was paid for by Microsoft, it has a bunch of their laptops, tablets and yes even Xbox's in there. I've never been inside (i really should) but it seems very nicely furnished and comfortable. We're one of the few universities in Australia to get these (sorry UoM  :'(  ).

7. Students are entitled to various pieces of free software, most of them are stuff the average student wouldn't want but some are great (UPDATE: Free Microsoft Office!).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 01:43:06 am by slothpomba »

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 01:26:06 am »
Food, Drink and Coffee

Food

Monash is comparatively isolated to other universities (like that TAFE down in Parkville), so, you either eat on or around campus or bring your own food. More on these later.

2. The administration has published a guide to all the food places on campus, it's definitely worth a read ([http://fsd.monash.edu.au/files/dining-at-monash-2014.pdf). If you want a more visual look check out the lost on campus website (http://lostoncampus.com.au/monash/clayton).

3. There is a wide variety of food ranging from sushi to fish and chips to kebabs, you should be able to at least find a few things you like.

4. That said, the food is decently expensive ranging from ~$7-12 for a proper meal.

5. Most dietary requirements should be OK. There are a fair few halal places, not sure about kosher but i assume they're around too. If you're a vegetarian (like me) you might find the options kinda meh but there's still plenty. If i do eat on campus, i usually go to meeting point. It's an asian style place where you can choose a few dishes to have on rice. They usually have at least 2-3 vegetarian dishes. There's the standard cafe style sandwiches and stuff.

6. Most of the food places are localised to the campus centre. There are a fair few also scattered around under both the major libraries, there's a food/cafe place under the Menzies and theres cinque lire all the way at the back of campus.

7. There's a milk bar and an asian store so you might be also able to pick up snacks there. There's also a pharmacy if you want to live off jelly beans.

8. Pretty much around the corner from the campus is a Maccas (although apparently they raised their prices to cancel out the MSA discount). Also closeish to the campus is a nandos (check the nandos website). Near huntingdale station (where most of you will get off) is a subway. If you're willing to venture into Clayton (which is probably a bus ride or a train trip down the line) there are a fair few more shops there, you probably won't be doing this on a regular basis though.

9. There's various points for hot water around the campus and there are a few microwaves around.

10. IF you join the MSA (which i recommend as a filthy unionist, only $20) you get discounts on various food places and on the Maccas near campus (http://monashstudentassociation.com/Services/New-Student-Information/Food). To break even on your membership cost, you probably would only need to spend a few hundred on food throughout the entire year (it may sound like a lot but 10 meals or 20-30 coffees winds up being about $100). Keep in mind club membership is also discounted (or free) for MSA members and event tickets tend to be cheaper as well.

11. The MSA also has free food on certain days and clubs also will have BBQ's throughout the year (you usually need to be a club member to take advantage of these though).

12. IF you're at campus late, inside both libraries are food vending machines and the Matheson *MIGHT* have a coffee machine, i don't remember.

Drink

1. Drinking is fine and accepted around campus, it's totally normal for people to hand out beer with the BBQ's on campus.

2. There are only two places that i know of that serve alcohol: Sir Johns, the union bar upstairs (20% union discount), occasionally they have special nights. The other is the cafe under the Menzies, Taste Baguette; during happy hour they have ~$10 jugs which is a pretty good deal.

Coffee

1. There's like 10+ different places to get coffee around campus, you're definitely spoiled for choice. Pretty much any of these places will be better than your standard nescafe.

2. The lines are often a good indication of how good the place is. The place with the longest lines and the place i usually go to is artichoke and whitebait.

3. Some places take MSA cards so you might get a discount if you're in the union.

4. They also obviously sell your usual assortment of cakes, sandwiches, etc.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 01:28:00 am »
I'm still going to work on this thread... the way i laid it out (accidentally) coincides with the order jaffys will need this knowledge.

Support Services, religious services

Support services

1. Monash has a counseling service on campus, it's free for all students. The SSAF funding last year was used to hire more counselors so its easier than ever to get in (http://www.monash.edu.au/counselling/).

2. They also offer an email service (new for this year!). That said, it's usually recommend you go face to face.

3. According to the website and lots wife (read it guys!) the first appointment is usually 30 minutes, usually just to scope things out and decide whether its appropriate you continue with them or be referred somewhere else. After that your appointments are usually close to an hour.

4. There doesn't need to be anything wrong with you to go. You can just be having trouble procrastinating and want some strategies, no problem is too big or small for them. This is their job afterall, you're not bothering them in the slightest.

5. If you intend to apply for special consideration due to a psychology/emotional/personal issue (say relationship breakup or family problems), it's best to get in as early as possible. They usually won't provide you documentation unless you've been at least once before. So, you can't just show up the night before your assignment is due, explain your situation and hope they document it for you. They *might* but its not guaranteed, usually previous attendance is important.

6. Monash (Clayton) also has a medical service and dentist on campus. It's often hard to get an appointment for the doctor if its shorter than a few days, i'd suggest you stay with your regular doctor unless you move out or are really busy.

7. Don't be afraid to apply for special consideration if you need it!

8. If you have some kind of ongoing condition or disability (physical, mental or psychological), talking to the disability liason unit might be in your best interests as well!

9. Some faculties may have mentoring programs

Religious/Spiritual

1. The religious centre is really the hub for all these things. It's the circular building near the right side of the campus center (near the matheson library/lake). It's not very large if that helps locate it.

2. It contains prayer rooms and anyone can use it for quiet space. Various clubs have various scheduled times or services so watch out for these.

3. There is a daily catholic service in the small chapel.

4. The Buddhist club has an hour here or there twice a week for either self guided meditation (beanbags provided) or meditation with an instructor. If you want to know about these contact me for details.

5. There is also a regular meditation class open to all (not affiliated with the Buddhist society) - http://www.monash.edu.au/counselling/meditation-classes-resources.html

6. English speaking orthodox service is usually held on the weekends.

7. The various other clubs and societies usually hold religious events in here, usually to members of the club or by prior inquiry.

8. Go to website for these kind of things - http://www.monash.edu.au/spirituality/index.html

Even though O-Week is over, many of the religious events continue throughout semester with various presentations and things similar to that. There is also a host of religious clubs if you missed them during orientation (http://www.monashclubs.org/Clubs?category=spiritual)

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 01:58:50 am »
+1
This concludes the stuff i wrote last year.

I also realised i never finished the topics. I am now so struck with guilt i'm not sure whether i'll be able to finish it this year either. Have high hopes though, i always finish what i

Again check last years thread for tonnes of useful comments. I may paste the best of the best in here but there's way too many good ones.

Finally, i'm often asked what Monash flavoured ice-cream tastes like, i want you all to guess. The answer will be given at a later date.

The winner will take home a University of Melbourne degree, they really make a great coaster.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 02:34:38 am by slothpomba »

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 07:04:56 am »
Finally, i'm often asked what Monash flavoured ice-cream tastes like, i want you all to guess. The answer will be given at a later date.

The winner will take home a University of Melbourne degree, they really make a great coaster.

Is Dave still around, or have they replaced him? I swear, that guy was the best part of my o-week.

~V

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +14
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 03:43:33 pm »
+1

Transport

1. If you are coming in via train or from near there, the 601 bus is your best bet for getting to Monash. It only has two stops, Huntingdale Station and Monash. That's it. It comes every few minutes and there are two or three of them. Coming down the tunnel at huntingdale, you head to your left to get onto the street. You'll come to a set of lights, the 601 is around the corner of that brown building. There are other bus-stops in-front of it but they go further (but still go to Monash), the 601 is almost always quicker. 95% of the time people don't obey the lights there and just cross the road, i've only very rarely heard of people getting caught, use your own judgment but most people just walk straight across.

2. If you haven't previously used the train or bus much, you *need* a transport concession card. If you're not 100% sure what it is, you probably don't have one. Even if you have a concession myki, you still need to carry this special card with you at all time. There are inspectors on the train fairly regularly (especially away from during peak hours), you will get caught and fined eventually if you don't have one. The monash website fills it all in for you and even puts a photo of you in it (your ID photo). Most other uni's aren't so lucky. Just colour print it in the library and take it to a train-station, ASAP. It only costs like $10. Keep in mind even the day you travel to the library to get it printed you could be at risk. You could gamble it or use full fee until you do get it, up to you.

3. Monash has a "bus-loop" where all the buses congregate, they're all in one nice easy place. There's a myki machine there. Occasionally i have seen bus ticket inspectors float around, so, be careful about that.

Here's what the bus looks like as well, not hard to find since it's a big orange thing

That's all the transport related ones i can think of right now, i'll add more later and so can everyone else!
Keep in mind that if you have a Low income Health Care Card you don't need the tertiary student concession card that costs $9.
November 6th 2014 5.15pm
Class of 2014! :D

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 03:58:51 pm »
Great point ~V!

It's based on your own personal income as well. Unlike other centrelink payments which may or may not be based on your parents income as well. So, many students (especially those with no other income) will be eligible for it. It allows you the same concession ticket but also some other benefits (mainly health related things, as the name implies).

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----

~V

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 11:19:14 pm »
Not so sure whether this is the right place to ask about timetables and Allocate+ but are we likely to get our 1st preference  provided that there's no clash? I mean, most/nearly all my first preferences for tutorials and workshops are 100 or 200 and something percent with one on 362%... what i did was put my 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc as ones that clashed with lectures and 1st preference tutes. Is there any better strategies out there?
November 6th 2014 5.15pm

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 11:33:48 pm »
+1
Not so sure whether this is the right place to ask about timetables and Allocate+ but are we likely to get our 1st preference  provided that there's no clash? I mean, most/nearly all my first preferences for tutorials and workshops are 100 or 200 and something percent with one on 362%... what i did was put my 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc as ones that clashed with lectures and 1st preference tutes. Is there any better strategies out there?

That's... Actually a very legitimate technique to getting your first preference. Fair effort for thinking of that first go.
(I wouldn't say you're guaranteed, but you've got a good chance of getting all first preferences. Just double check Tuesday morning to make sure)

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 12:30:55 am »
+1

All questions belong here!

I think you will be fine. Allocate is designed to give everyone the best possible timetable, it uses complicated algorithms to do this. Maybe i've just been very lucky but i've only very rarely been disappointed by it even with high percentages.

I dont think it could go wrong but the second design goal of allocate is to avoid clashes, i doubt it'll jump straight to your 5th preference but i'd still be mindful of this anyway.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:28:08 pm by slothpomba »

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----

spaciiey

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 10:17:55 am »
+1

I have only ever had one bad timetable in 8 semesters of uni by doing basically that ^ . What you want to do is have your first preferences as your preferred timetable, then make as many things clash with auto-allocated classes as you can, as well as making your preferences clash with each other (but not your first ones). I say auto-allocated because that way you definitely WON'T get them, or do it at the last minute and make your other preferences for classes that are very very full, like you said. However, as a backup, make sure your last preference is your real second preference just in case something bad happens.

Alternatively if you feel like being a rebel and you didn't get what you wanted you could probably still turn up to the classes that you DO want and be all like to the tutor 'lol sorry I had a clash' and usually they'll enrol you manually. (enough people tend to drop out after a while so don't feel bad about crowding a tute class)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 10:19:46 am by spaciiey »
VCE 2010 | BA/BSc, MTeach (both Monash)

Current teacher of VCE maths

~V

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 10:58:56 am »
I have only ever had one bad timetable in 8 semesters of uni by doing basically that ^ . What you want to do is have your first preferences as your preferred timetable, then make as many things clash with auto-allocated classes as you can, as well as making your preferences clash with each other (but not your first ones). I say auto-allocated because that way you definitely WON'T get them, or do it at the last minute and make your other preferences for classes that are very very full, like you said. However, as a backup, make sure your last preference is your real second preference just in case something bad happens.

Alternatively if you feel like being a rebel and you didn't get what you wanted you could probably still turn up to the classes that you DO want and be all like to the tutor 'lol sorry I had a clash' and usually they'll enrol you manually. (enough people tend to drop out after a while so don't feel bad about crowding a tute class)
Why make last preference your real 2nd preference? I heard about that as well but I don't seem to get it.
November 6th 2014 5.15pm

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +118
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 11:02:25 am »
Presumably so that if you can't get your first preference, it won't decide to give you one of your clashes, then boot the clashed class down its own preference order. This way the worst case scenario is your real 2nd preference.

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 02:03:08 pm »
Random question: I'm guessing I'll need to get a lab coat, safety glasses and gloves for pracs for the course I'm taking (BSci e.g. BIO1011)? I know where to find a lab coat from a little research, but where can I find some relatively cheap, but decent safety glasses and gloves (budget) or do I not need to purchase them at all? Are there any on campus (Clayton) - regardless of price (or just for lending/ one-time use in the case of gloves)? Should I even be thinking about getting this sort of stuff organised now? If not, when?
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread