Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 07:46:30 pm

Author Topic: Monash 2015 Jaffy Tips & Questions Thread  (Read 32537 times)  Share 

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Monash 2015 Jaffy Tips & Questions Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 10:39:51 pm »
Is coming late for tutes really a big deal and how late are you until they mark you absent? It takes me a while to get campus and by public transport, especially when connecting trains the times are ridiculous, eg. when my train gets to Flinders, the train to uni just leaves which makes me ~10 mins late when i get on the next one.

It varies between faculties and units; for example, in one of my tutes last year (in the Faculty of Medicine), if you were late by 20% of the total tute duration you were counted as absent (and tutes were a hurdle for this unit).

This is a question you should ask your tutor, but the response you'll most likely get is to coordinate your commute better (e.g. take an earlier train) so you get there early rather than late.
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2015, 01:48:53 am »
Is coming late for tutes really a big deal and how late are you until they mark you absent? It takes me a while to get campus and by public transport, especially when connecting trains the times are ridiculous, eg. when my train gets to Flinders, the train to uni just leaves which makes me ~10 mins late when i get on the next one.

Its usually thought of as somewhat to quite rude. I'd avoid it if you can, especially if it will happen constantly. As Alon said, it's unlikely you'll get much sympathy beyond "just try to aim to get there earlier". I would just try to get there earlier, how badly would this put you out?

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +118
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2015, 02:08:00 am »
Don't be late to tutes until your tutor loves you.

Make sure your tutor loves you.

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +47
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2015, 08:12:40 am »

Make sure your tutor loves you.

How does one go about achieving such a goal ?
2014: VCE
2015: Bachelor of Nutrition Science @ Monash University

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2015, 08:44:49 am »

Be nice, ask interesting questions (but don't show off knowledge, because then everyone ELSE will hate you), don't be late/leave early until you've gauged how much your tutors care. (I've had some that would just ignore you entirely if you were late or left early, and one who didn't mind in the slightest. Read as: if you get Mark Bentley as a stats tutor, he is the coolest guy ever)

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2015, 11:14:03 am »

Be nice, ask interesting questions (but don't show off knowledge, because then everyone ELSE will hate you), don't be late/leave early until you've gauged how much your tutors care. (I've had some that would just ignore you entirely if you were late or left early, and one who didn't mind in the slightest. Read as: if you get Mark Bentley as a stats tutor, he is the coolest guy ever)

So in essence just be my fabulous self :P

I don't do stats :'(

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2015, 11:44:52 am »

So in essence just be my fabulous self :P

I don't do stats :'(

Just be yourself, but try to contribute to discussion where you can. It will be beneficial to you and your classmates. Nobody likes a silent tute, tutor included.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2015, 07:39:21 pm »

Just be yourself, but try to contribute to discussion where you can. It will be beneficial to you and your classmates. Nobody likes a silent tute, tutor included.

Thanks for the help :)

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2015, 09:35:16 pm »

Also, ask them about uni life and their research area (assuming they're PhD/postdoc/Masters/Honours people). Tutors aren't robotic teaching machines, so if you have the time just have a chat with them. Most of the time they're students too!
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2015, 09:55:55 pm »

Also, ask them about uni life and their research area (assuming they're PhD/postdoc/Masters/Honours people). Tutors aren't robotic teaching machines, so if you have the time just have a chat with them. Most of the time they're students too!

Okay, thankyou ! I'll try this out..maybe :P

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +118
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2015, 03:04:09 am »
Be nice, ask interesting questions (but don't show off knowledge, because then everyone ELSE will hate you)
Yikes I was actually sort of in this situation today. I'm doing a unit which has required knowledge from another unit, but it's not a prerequisite. The tutor asked about if we remember this stuff and I said I haven't done that unit, only to be able to answer stuff no one else did. >.>

MDMA

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2015, 01:19:12 pm »
Two questions -

One; I joined the footy team on that clubs day thing and filled out the sheet including contact details and the guy said he'd e-mail me the details. My handwriting was pretty terrible and I was slack writing like wnwal3@stu…. How do I get in contact with the guy? I know that training is on Tuesday and Thursday and that games are on Saturdays but I don't know the wheres :(

Second; I wanted to join a few clubs that are on the Monash clubs page but I couldn't find them on clubs day (i.e. Disney club). Am I still able to join these clubs somehow or have I just missed the deadline?

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +464
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2015, 03:53:17 pm »
One; I joined the footy team on that clubs day thing and filled out the sheet including contact details and the guy said he'd e-mail me the details. My handwriting was pretty terrible and I was slack writing like wnwal3@stu…. How do I get in contact with the guy? I know that training is on Tuesday and Thursday and that games are on Saturdays but I don't know the wheres :(
https://www.facebook.com/monash.blues?fref=ts

Second; I wanted to join a few clubs that are on the Monash clubs page but I couldn't find them on clubs day (i.e. Disney club). Am I still able to join these clubs somehow or have I just missed the deadline?
http://www.monashclubs.org/Clubs?category=all

http://www.monashclubs.org/Clubs/Disney
Mathematical Methods | Physics | Chemistry | English | Business Management

2012-2017
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) @ Monash University

Current
Transport Modeller @ Arup

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2015, 06:41:25 pm »
Two questions -

Same situation re: Disney club :(

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +56
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2015, 08:00:53 pm »

Clubs you couldn't find probably didn't have a stall on clubs day. Some don't have enough resources to justify a stall on every day of orientation events. you can join still, there's no deadline. either go to one of their events and say you want to join or try emailing or contacting them via Facebook if they have either of those.
Graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in June 2020.

Completing Practical Legal Training (Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice)

Offering 2021 Tutoring in VCE Legal Studies (Awarded as Bialik College's top Legal Studies Student in 2014).

Offered via Zoom or in person across Melbourne.  Message me to discuss. Very limited places available.