Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:40:25 am

Author Topic: Monash 2015 Jaffy Tips & Questions Thread  (Read 32544 times)  Share 

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: Monash 2015 Jaffy Tips & Questions Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 03:00:53 pm »
Random question: I'm guessing I'll need to get a lab coat, safety glasses and gloves for pracs for the course I'm taking (BSci e.g. BIO1011)? I know where to find a lab coat from a little research, but where can I find some relatively cheap, but decent safety glasses and gloves (budget) or do I not need to purchase them at all? Are there any on campus (Clayton) - regardless of price (or just for lending/ one-time use in the case of gloves)? Should I even be thinking about getting this sort of stuff organised now? If not, when?
Chem department sells them cheap in week 1 (to memory). I think ~$20 for lab coat, 5 for glasses?

You won't need gloves, though.

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 05:39:11 pm »
+1
Random question: I'm guessing I'll need to get a lab coat, safety glasses and gloves for pracs for the course I'm taking (BSci e.g. BIO1011)? I know where to find a lab coat from a little research, but where can I find some relatively cheap, but decent safety glasses and gloves (budget) or do I not need to purchase them at all? Are there any on campus (Clayton) - regardless of price (or just for lending/ one-time use in the case of gloves)? Should I even be thinking about getting this sort of stuff organised now? If not, when?

Good quality glasses and coats can be obtained from the Monash Bookstore in campus centre (surprisingly, there isn't an obscene markup on these like there is on the textbooks they sell).

When I did BIO1011 and 1022, some glasses (albeit lower-quality, age-worn ones) were provided but this may have changed and it's always good to have your own pair for later years when they don't provide them for you. Don't buy gloves, they're provided by the lab staff as needed.

And yep, best to get this stuff organised as early as you can so you have less to think about once semester starts.
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 03:17:41 am »
Never seen a requirement to have gloves, ever. I doubt you'll need them. They have huge boxes of them in all the labs. Glasses you probably will need at some stage or another. A labcoat is a definitely must have. Both can be obtained from the Monash bookstore.

I still have the same labcoat 5 years later. It might sound a little pricey (20-30 isnt bad) but it will last you.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

InsaneMDot

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 10:50:40 am »
If I were to discontinue one unit this semester and enrol into another - how would the timetabling work now that allocate+ has closed?

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 12:55:55 pm »
+1
If I were to discontinue one unit this semester and enrol into another - how would the timetabling work now that allocate+ has closed?

Usually, you get in contact with the unit coordinator who'll let you know what class slots are still available.
2013-2016

unsub

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: -
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 07:35:47 pm »
Are "compulsory" orientation events really that important? They make it quite official with checking off people i guess because they told us to bring monash ID and If i leave and come back whenever does it really matter? Cheers

Dejan

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • straya m8
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 09:25:52 pm »
Hey all, I was wondering if at the Monash Clayton campus there were any gluten free food places that sell gluten free food?

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 09:36:22 pm »
+2
Hey all, I was wondering if at the Monash Clayton campus there were any gluten free food places that sell gluten free food?

Here's a document from 2014, ctrl+F "gluten free" and it'll give you a few options :) http://fsd.monash.edu.au/files/dining-at-monash-2014.pdf

Edit: Oh also, you can always ask a venue if they cater for, or produce anything for, specific dietary requirements.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 09:38:20 pm by alondouek »
2013-2016

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2015, 10:07:18 pm »
Are "compulsory" orientation events really that important? They make it quite official with checking off people i guess because they told us to bring monash ID and If i leave and come back whenever does it really matter? Cheers

Not really. If you are very well read on all the requirements and majors, if you have your head screwed on right, they're not absolutely essential.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2015, 10:07:58 pm »

I think allocate remains open for a few weeks actually. After that it's like Alondouek said, the coordinator will advise you/figure it out.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----

Dejan

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • straya m8
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 02:28:55 pm »
Here's a document from 2014, ctrl+F "gluten free" and it'll give you a few options :) http://fsd.monash.edu.au/files/dining-at-monash-2014.pdf

Edit: Oh also, you can always ask a venue if they cater for, or produce anything for, specific dietary requirements.
Oh wow, that is so helpful and informative. Thank you so so much :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 02:31:53 pm by Dejan »

MDMA

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 07:08:15 pm »
Do I get to wear a band camp hat for the first year?

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2015, 09:12:23 pm »
Do I get to wear a band camp hat for the first year?

...if you wanted to, I guess
2013-2016

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 10:03:51 pm »
+4
Jaffy tip for Windows users! Click the pictures to enlarge them.

How to get your lectures to download automatically to iTunes

• Open up the MULO page for any unit. For example, DEV3011:
  • Scroll down to the bottom of the page and move your cursor over the RSS icon in the bottom left corner. It should turn orange and expand to read "Podcast          Vodcast":
  • Click on "Vodcast". A new tab with lines of code should open, as such:

Copy the URL of this page.
  • Open iTunes, and select the "Podcast" tab (where you would also find the Music and Movies tabs etc. etc.)
  • In the iTunes podcast tab, click on "File" and then click "Subscribe to podcast".
  • In the small window that opens, paste the URL you copied in step 3. Click OK.
  • The available lecture recordings should now begin to download to your iTunes podcast tab. Enjoy!

Some notes:

- I recommend opening up the settings for each unit that appears in iTunes, and changing the option of "Delete played episodes" to OFF (unless you want them to).

- These should have updated every time you open iTunes, but if they haven't then simply select "Refresh" underneath the list of units on the left-hand panel.

- VLC is much better for these recordings than the iTunes player, so if you wish to watch these recordings in VLC then right-click the podcast, then click "show in Windows Explorer". Once the new window opens, right click and select "play in VLC".

Let me know if you have any questions!
2013-2016

~V

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +14
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2015, 10:19:53 pm »
Is coming late for tutes really a big deal and how late are you until they mark you absent? It takes me a while to get campus and by public transport, especially when connecting trains the times are ridiculous, eg. when my train gets to Flinders, the train to uni just leaves which makes me ~10 mins late when i get on the next one.
November 6th 2014 5.15pm
Class of 2014! :D