Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 06:56:08 pm

Author Topic: How to prep before the first day of Term 1 Year 12  (Read 1152 times)

Neilab

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Riverside Girls High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
How to prep before the first day of Term 1 Year 12
« on: January 26, 2017, 03:49:15 pm »
Help! I need some last minute advice on how to spend these last 4 days? Should I be studying tirelessly? how do i get organised?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: How to prep before the first day of Term 1 Year 12
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 03:55:12 pm »
+1
Tirelessly is potentially the worst possible thing you could be saying.

For things like organisation, make sure you get all the basic things done that you've had to do every year. Have your uniform and stationery ready. Also you may choose to create a study timetable so that once school starts you won't get clouded by the issue of time management.

I don't see anything wrong with bits and pieces of studying, maybe something just inching thorough if you're motivated enough, but trying to smash things out only 4 days before school even starts is not ok. You are going to be drained before much of the year has even passed. The HSC is draining by nature, so you don't want to have to deal with these problems so early on.

Personal opinion: The maximum extent of your studying should be consolidating your notes from what you learnt last term.

kyli

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: How to prep before the first day of Term 1 Year 12
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 04:53:12 pm »
+3
Help! I need some last minute advice on how to spend these last 4 days? Should I be studying tirelessly? how do i get organised?

Rather than 'studying tirelessly', you should make sure your sleep schedule's in check. Students like me typically make promises after dreadful patterns of sleep during the school term, and especially exam week (NOT recommended): "I'll catch up in the holidays". Fun fact: 'catching up' on sleep is not actually possible, but you can recover from any sleep deprivation caused by those late night movie marathons by going to sleep when you feel tired! Sleep is often underestimated during Year 12, but it is so, so important to make sure you're refreshed enough to be learning at school. So I highly recommend getting back into a regular routine of sleep if you haven't been already, so that you're fresh for the school term  :)

A weird thing I usually do is the day before the last day of the holidays, going to sleep at the time I should go to sleep on a typical school night, then waking up at the time I usually wake up on a school morning. I know, weird, but it does kind of help the grogginess :P Definitely don't fret, make this year your best  :D
kyli 🌻