Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 11:03:54 pm

Author Topic: Summer Holiday studying  (Read 4808 times)

Nialllovespie

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Summer Holiday studying
« on: December 07, 2016, 01:55:48 pm »
Anyone got any advice on what I should do to prepare myself for HSC over the summer holidays?

Thanks in advance

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Summer Holiday studying
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 02:06:47 pm »
+7
Keep in mind that these holidays are going to be the last proper break you get until the HSC ends. Every other holiday is going to involve work. Hence, whilst there's never anything wrong with doing some work, you should not be working tirelessly yet at all.

Some suggestions from my experience:
I had an assignment to do over the holiday period (which I hated). That was my top priority with my study, because it actually counts.

But my physics teacher is also well aware of the fact that the things taught this early (and in fact, in a year that you may be affected by 'Year 11 brain'), are very easily forgotten. So he forced us to make our notes for the first topic that we did, and on top of that we had to submit it. Which was a good idea; really helped me revise the space topic when I seriously needed it.

And then the question becomes when I did it. Well, if I really didn't feel like playing games or anything then I'd just get out my book and start writing down those notes. Pretty chill. Only spent about 2 hours a day at most.

I also read/viewed all of my texts for English (except for one which I procrastinated). Best know the synopsis now rather than have to deal with not knowing it later.

Nialllovespie

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 10:52:47 pm »
Trueeeee!! Thank you for your really helpful advice!! also, do u know if ATARnotes is running any HSC lectures during the summer holidays? Similar to the ones they did in the October holidays :)

Thanks again!! :D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 10:58:04 pm »
+4
I wouldn't know about the dates but as for whether or not they're being run they definitely will be.

Good luck!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 11:38:47 pm »
+1
Trueeeee!! Thank you for your really helpful advice!! also, do u know if ATARnotes is running any HSC lectures during the summer holidays? Similar to the ones they did in the October holidays :)

Thanks again!! :D

They are indeed being run, they will be the week of Australia Day! But not Australia Day itself, don't worry, gotta keep time for the BBQ ;) details will be coming soon!

Nialllovespie

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 09:27:56 am »
Ooooooh yayyyy!! Thank you so much!!

katnisschung

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 09:39:18 pm »
advice for summer holidays..

to drop or not to drop...

I haven't been studying at all for senior science this term
except for during the classes because... i won't go into justifying myself...

my ranks were pretty good for the test (which i didn't study for)

the teacher has been away and we've had so many interruptions for term
four becos our school runs so many things...

should i restudy for it? i don't think it'll take me too long but i honestly feel
like i want to be a couch potato for at least 3 weeks of these holidays

(i have it as a backup just in case i fail physics... aiming for a high band 5 for physics
i ranked 7/55 internally for it in year 11 but idk i feel like senior science would be
an easier option and guarantee me a band 6)
get me out of here

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 09:43:15 pm »
advice for summer holidays..

to drop or not to drop...

I haven't been studying at all for senior science this term
except for during the classes because... i won't go into justifying myself...

my ranks were pretty good for the test (which i didn't study for)

the teacher has been away and we've had so many interruptions for term
four becos our school runs so many things...

should i restudy for it? i don't think it'll take me too long but i honestly feel
like i want to be a couch potato for at least 3 weeks of these holidays

(i have it as a backup just in case i fail physics... aiming for a high band 5 for physics
i ranked 7/55 internally for it in year 11 but idk i feel like senior science would be
an easier option and guarantee me a band 6)

Hey Katniss!! First, never take a subject just for an 'easy' Band 6. It's not really worth it in my opinion, you are way better off doing something that you are actually passionate about (for whatever reason). It sounds like Senior Science isn't your thing; if just the marks at the end of the year are the only reason you have for keeping it, I'd consider dropping it! It would free up lots of time to help smash your other subjects :) if you have it for other reasons fair enough, but yeah, just my two cents! :)

katnisschung

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 09:45:15 pm »
thanks for the advice Jamon!

I know it made it seem like i was lazy and was picking senior
science just for the marks which seems true and i am much more
passionate about physics even though i'm shittier at it...

i'm just about mark maximisation with minimal effort...

get me out of here

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 09:52:44 pm »
+1
thanks for the advice Jamon!

I know it made it seem like i was lazy and was picking senior
science just for the marks which seems true and i am must more
passionate about physics even though i'm shittier at it...

i'm just about mark maximisation with minimal effort...

No no definitely doesn't seem like you are lazy! I'm all about that mark maximisation too, don't worry ;)

I think of it this way; you have to study this thing for a year longer (nearly). Do you really want to study something that doesn't interest you at all for that long? Like, the HSC is about marks sure, but it's also about developing your passions and getting experience. You are way better off choosing things for the journey, not the destination!

I almost never bring up scaling, I think it is something best left alone. But since you seem very driven to achieve strong results, good to know how it works. Take this random mark comparison. An 88 in Physics scales to 85, compared to an 88 in Senior Science scaling to a 66.

This isn't designed to say that Senior Science is bad. But there is a discrepancy, which could compensate for the mark difference in your results. What I'm saying is, don't let the fact that your Physics marks are lower make you feel like they won't count over Senior Science, you never know! Senior Science is a subject where you'll really need to push hard to get into the real top range of marks for scaling to benefit you :)

Neilab

• Forum Regular
  • School: Riverside Girls High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 03:48:00 pm »
what are some last minute prep i can do before school starts on monday?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 04:17:19 pm »

Be sure to do some relaxing before you start school for another term!! The most I'd do would be:

- Make sure your notes from Term 1 are up to date
- Read the start of the chapters of whatever topics you will be doing in the first few weeks and make some super basic notes
- Make sure you've got all your materials, stationary (etc) ready to go. Nothing worse than last minute scrambles for a calculator and stuff like that :P

Keep chilled! Use the break properly, get your last bits of rest in! ;D

kyli

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 04:29:38 pm »
+1

As RuiAce mentioned before, you could also review your English texts! It's an easy way to get ahead of the others, as every time you study it in class, it'll be your second (or more than second) reading- likely giving you a better understanding of the text!! Jotting down a few notes here and there (annotating) could also help if you haven't analysed it thoroughly yet  :)
kyli 🌻

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 04:34:54 pm »
As RuiAce mentioned before, you could also review your English texts! It's an easy way to get ahead of the others, as every time you study it in class, it'll be your second (or more than second) reading- likely giving you a better understanding of the text!! Jotting down a few notes here and there (annotating) could also help if you haven't analysed it thoroughly yet  :)

Ah good point! I read 'Frankenstein' over my summer break - Really good read actually so I didn't mind. Was majorly helpful when we started studying it that Term and I was already finished it :)