Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 04:25:43 pm

Author Topic: Choosing HSC subjects  (Read 7276 times)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Choosing HSC subjects
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 09:00:41 pm »
Currently having a dilemma about which subject i should drop.
I'm taking eng 2u, maths 2u, bio, physics, french cont. and senior science
i just took up senior science this year (its only offered as a yr 12 course)
i absolutely hate it but i've looked at the content and seems fairly basic and easy
for me to do well in cos i take 2 sciences and the content is watered down.

im tossing up between dropping senior science and french provided that i do well
in my physics exam later this term. I really enjoy physics but i didn't do particularly
well becos i slacked off in yr 11 and really didnt understand the electricity unit (ohm's law problems only)

i did fairly well at french but it is definitely getting harder esp because we are tackling harder topics
(e.g. immigration) and it takes up a lot of my time but i definitely did better in it than in physics.

should i keep 12 units or drop down to 10?
definitely see the safety net of keeping 12 (until i tackle motors and generators next year... this is the topic i fear the most for physics) but if i had 10 i would have much more time to focus on my other subjects

thanks!
Think about which one you'd actually put effort into.

If you hate senior science, that's kinda a big barrier to putting effort into it. It's gonna be easy but you're not gonna study for it.

katnisschung

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2016, 09:18:13 pm »
i do hate it atm because we are doing lifestyle chemistry... the other topics look vaguely interesting..
also if i happen to not do well in physics or french i need a back up but i want to commit to 10 units.

what time would be the best to make the decision to drop?
after my first assessment in physics or the second? any later i feel like i would be better off sticking with
it considering all the energy i would have placed into it
get me out of here

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2016, 09:20:52 pm »
i do hate it atm because we are doing lifestyle chemistry... the other topics look vaguely interesting..
also if i happen to not do well in physics or french i need a back up but i want to commit to 10 units.

what time would be the best to make the decision to drop?
after my first assessment in physics or the second? any later i feel like i would be better off sticking with
it considering all the energy i would have placed into it
I dropped SOR1 right before trials. I had reasons for doing so.

This is my personal opinion which contradicts what I did to myself, but has more valid reasoning. I reckon the latest time you should be dropping ANYTHING is immediately after receiving your half yearly exam marks back.

J.B

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 07:39:35 am »

I need some advice on choosing my Yr 12 subjects :( - I'm currently doing 13 units, and my subjects are Advanced English, Modern History, Chemistry, Physics, SOR I, and 4U Math. I am really stuck between dropping Physics or Ext 2 Math, and I need to drop one of them because 13 units is taking too much of my time, especially ext 2 math. I like math, but I just feel so sick of it now because it's been taking up so much of my time - I'm not currently struggling to understand anything, but I'm starting to feel overwhelmed by math. I'm pretty set on the rest of my subjects except for physics because it's the one subject I'm kinda struggling with, but I do like learning the content. So I'm just kinda wondering, is it worth doing 4U of math, and what is the best amount of units to be on?

Thanks!

I completely understand what you are feeling as I am in the same position except I just dropped extension 2 maths.
The things you need to consider are if you keep extension 2 maths are you willing to continue to put heaps of effort and energy into for the whole HSC as it's best to drop now, if you are going to drop anyway. Although extension 2 maths scales REALLY well this will help bring your atar up.
I personally couldn't cope with the workload that I was putting into it and not into my other subjects. I have dropped it now and I feel a lot more on top of my school load. For me I wanted to be able to put my best effort in all my subjects. And even though I wasn't struggling with the questions, I knew as the content got harder it would take longer.
I can say much about physics as I don't do it. But if you are really stuck see what your first term exam result are and then decide. But i believe you can do it if you really want to!

Good Luck!

Dragomistress

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School: James Ruse Agricultural High School
  • School Grad Year: 2018
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2016, 01:09:10 pm »
Just go off your gut feeling. It is alright.