Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:21:33 pm

Author Topic: Which subject to drop?  (Read 10121 times)

MEL7401

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Which subject to drop?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 08:32:57 pm »
Which of those subjects do you dislike the most Mel? Are there any you really aren't enjoying? :)
Well... i enjoy all the subjects that i do... but i guess science and business would be the most content heavy, however they are probably the easiest!!!
so then it would depend on the scaling of the courses... would it? :o

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 09:39:35 pm »
Well... i enjoy all the subjects that i do... but i guess science and business would be the most content heavy, however they are probably the easiest!!!
so then it would depend on the scaling of the courses... would it? :o

I usually don't like to pick a course based on scaling. The introduction of scaling is to prevent people from that idea :) If you can choose a low scaling subject and do well you get rewarded as well.

Just pick the ones you feel you enjoy most. If you enjoy them both equally then I would consider teacher and class environment, after that scaling would be a consideration but it's so minor anyway.

Unless you're talking Ext 2 Maths vs General scaling shouldn't be too big of a concern :)
Heavy Things :(

bethr

• Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 06:57:18 pm »
hey!!

i'm in a similar predicament...

Currently i do:
Advanced English
Mathematics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Modern History
Business Studies
German Beginners
Senior Science

absolutely do not want to drop any of my subjects... and next year our school is offering extension history for the first time which i am keen to give a go!!
so...what should i do???
if i didnt drop anything it would be about 14 units :P...

any tips??? :D

Hey! I know what you're going through. I spent the whole of year 11 and first term of year 12 deciding whether I should drop PDH or French extension. It ultimately came down to what I want to do after school. So, what do you want to do after school? Whatever you do, don't do 14 units. Just don't. I reckon the best solution would be keep all your subjects which you're currently doing. Pick up extension history and see how much you really like it. You'd hate to do it and realise how much you miss whichever subject you choose to drop. If you're thinking of doing extension history, which is a major work, you should drop a content heavy subject like Business or senior science. But again, it depends on what you want to do! But, this is a very bias opinion, don't drop German. Languages scale so well and look good on Uni applications!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:52:39 am by bethr »

AMHTaylor

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: -7
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 07:10:07 pm »
Click here to hide this post again.
June 18, 2017, 07:10:07 pm - Hidden.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 07:16:45 pm »
+3
Hi Courtney, I don't think your results in modern history will get you anywhere in extension history. But you can do what ever, you can If you want, I just wouldn't encourage it for you
I don't think she revealed her marks? Either way that is just not true at all. Despite the name, Modern and Extension are actually extremely different subjects! There was a girl in my extension class who was averaging 60 in modern, who was receiving mid-80s in extension. As it is such an independently driven subject the important and only deciding factor in my opinion is how passionate you are and whether you are willing to put the effort and work into doing well :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 07:18:44 pm by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Blazeee

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 08:35:43 pm »
+3
I don't think she revealed her marks? Either way that is just not true at all. Despite the name, Modern and Extension are actually extremely different subjects! There was a girl in my extension class who was averaging 60 in modern, who was receiving mid-80s in extension. As it is such an independently driven subject the important and only deciding factor in my opinion is how passionate you are and whether you are willing to put the effort and work into doing well :)

Yeah true I didn't tell my marks...however I am doing really well! (last exam I got 92%...top of my NSW class)
Our teacher talked to us about Extension History just this week actually...and to my delight she described it as everything I imagined it to be! The topics look awesome...especially the Ancient Egypt one!  ::) ::) I think I'm definitely going to do it...just need to find a way to drop both Business Studies and Financial Services, but apparently we have to do at least one business subject...which sucks!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 08:39:30 pm »
Yeah true I didn't tell my marks...however I am doing really well! (last exam I got 92%...top of my NSW class)
Our teacher talked to us about Extension History just this week actually...and to my delight she described it as everything I imagined it to be! The topics look awesome...especially the Ancient Egypt one!  ::) ::) I think I'm definitely going to do it...just need to find a way to drop both Business Studies and Financial Services, but apparently we have to do at least one business subject...which sucks!
AWESOME STUFF! 92% is an absolutely fantastic mark for half yearlies! And typically you only improve from there :D And yay!! So glad you're considering extension, it is a great course (feel free to come over to the history extension board with me to discuss any time ;) ). Why do you NEED to have at least one business subject? I've never heard of that being a requirement before?
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Blazeee

• Trailblazer
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 08:46:28 pm »
AWESOME STUFF! 92% is an absolutely fantastic mark for half yearlies! And typically you only improve from there :D And yay!! So glad you're considering extension, it is a great course (feel free to come over to the history extension board with me to discuss any time ;) ). Why do you NEED to have at least one business subject? I've never heard of that being a requirement before?

Sorry that 92% was my first task...was an exam in term 1.... ::)getting our half-yearly results tomorrow.....
Yeah well I just clicked that AMHTaylor might be my teacher??! haha which is really funny coz i was majorly confused how they knew my marks haha...
umm well i just suggested it to my class-mates n they all said that apparently you have to do one Business Subject...but i'm yet to look into it!  ;)

AMHTaylor

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: -7
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 08:54:55 pm »
Click here to hide this post again.
June 18, 2017, 08:54:55 pm - Hidden.

Blazeee

• Trailblazer
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 09:00:29 pm »
+1
Even though you did well in your exam, I still believe you don't have what it takes to do extension 1 history. It just wouldn't work for you with your knowledge. Don't have such big expectations for yourself Courtney.

?? Um...hang on...fresh poster...only two posts are replying to my question...my teacher doesn't know anything about this...and how did you know my marks?? confused right now! :o

Wales

• Forum Leader
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 09:04:21 pm »
?? Um...hang on...fresh poster...only two posts are replying to my question...my teacher doesn't know anything about this...and how did you know my marks?? confused right now! :o

That's kinda weird. It might be someone from school?

MrsAMHTaylor

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2017, 09:07:23 pm »
Even though you did well in your exam, I still believe you don't have what it takes to do extension 1 history. It just wouldn't work for you with your knowledge. Don't have such big expectations for yourself Courtney.

Considering I'm actually Mrs. Taylor...I'm curious to know who you are?

Wales

• Forum Leader
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2017, 09:09:30 pm »
+4
This doesn't sound like the helpful, friendly, encouraging AN community I'm familiar with...everyone should have the opportunity to try new things and extend their knowledge and skills. Courtney sounds like she did very well in her last exam, and I don't see why she shouldn't give History Extension a go.
Maybe there is something I am not seeing in this scenario, but I think it is unfair to tell her to lower her expectations of herself.

It does seem weird and unfriendly. Don't listen.

Courtney, take the opportunity. You don't want to look back and regret you never took Ext History :)

Blazeee

• Trailblazer
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2017, 09:14:44 pm »
+4

Considering I'm actually Mrs. Taylor...I'm curious to know who you are?

Thanks for that backup! #best-teacher-eva!

Blazeee

• Trailblazer
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2017, 09:17:03 pm »
+2
It does seem weird and unfriendly. Don't listen.

Courtney, take the opportunity. You don't want to look back and regret you never took Ext History :)

Dunno who this is :o....??
Yes I'm definately going to do Extension History...topics look fun! ::)