Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:36:22 am

Author Topic: Cat Becomes A Nurse/Midwife, or, A helpless student meanders qualification-wards  (Read 10040 times)

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
I should probably be asleep at this point.
Still got assignment to finish.
It was due on Thursday.
* they gave us a grace period and I took advantage of it, it finishes on Monday instead
I will post about my classes.
there's a time for us
someday
a time for us
time together with time to spare

(me and my journal, o' course)

EDIT: this is what happens when I stay up too late. Craziness. :P
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 05:25:13 pm by The Cat In The Hat »
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
An update on the heels of another day of placement, too tired to study... (and an addendum later)

This is a slightly soul-weary update.

I start with a disclaimer: I love this course, I really do, and I've honestly not had a single thought that I should shift courses. I'm currently on placement and really enjoying it (I won't give more details for privacy, &c., reasons). It's tiring but really nice; I already feel like I can cope with being on my feet for eight hours nearly straight, better than I could two days ago. But -

HNM101

- all the same, I think I'm going to fail one of my units.

Which in itself is ridiculous; it's the midwifery unit, the one that's consistently been my favourite ever since the start of the semester. But it's hard. I think I've done okay in something - then I haven't: every time. I was so sure I was going to get at least 70% on a 30%-weighted group assignment. I was counting on it to pick up my marks. Then I got 55%.

I'm walking into the exam - worth 50% - with an average mark barely above 50%. And given past record - although I've only actually failed one quiz - I don't think I can pass this unit.

If I don't pass the unit I'm delayed by a year. And four years is long enough.

I don't understand. I felt so confident about the quiz last week; and then I got precisely 50%. I do not understand how I got that mark. I almost feel like querying it and saying, I felt like I did better, but given that in the other two quizzes I got 4/8 and 3/8, how is getting 4/8 again any different? Why am I querying it? - I just felt more confident.

I feel like now I'm almost doomed to fail this unit no matter what I do. Nearly everything I've submitted I felt a lot more confident about than the end result warranted. So this exam - no matter what I feel like at the time or afterwards - I'll probably fail. And I do not have room to get less than 49%.

What on earth do I do? I just seem to get things wrong somehow all the time here. Even though it's my favourite unit. Even though I read up about it for fun. What sort of idiot can I be that I fail a comparatively simple introductory first year unit even when I'm trying not to? And if I fail this unit, I can't go on to the next unit next semester. I really don't want to wait over a year for it, because I'm desperately looking forward to it. Where this unit was about antenatal care, the next one is more immediate and interesting: it's about labour and birth (and immediately afterwards), which I find fascinating.

But the more immediate problem - which I may or may not be fixating too much on - is that I think I'll fail this unit.

Well, then, what of my other units? Since you may be getting a little tired of that problem.

HNN120

This is currently my most liked unit. Mainly because it's all finished. There isn't an exam here. I've submitted the last assignment. I haven't got the marks back, but I would be extremely surprised if I failed. I only needed 30% in it in any case to pass; I'm faintly hopeful for a credit or maybe even a distinction if the assignment goes well.

HBS109

Surprisingly, this isn't giving me too much grief at the moment. My average is just under 60%, with one assignment (the one that was due last Thursday) still to get the results back; I assume I'll get them with the rest of the results on results day. Also an exam. It's actually open book, so I need to work on making my notes properly for the exam.

My three exams, by the way, are all next week: Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Two of which are on campus.

I have another subject - HNN112 - which was what the placement was for. (I have since finished placement. And passed. Yay.) The exam is worth 60% which is pretty scary, but at least I'm going in with a decent average, which is good.

I'll summarise my marks, then:
HNN120 - 70.26% with 50% of the marks returned; one assignment completed but not returned.
HNM101 - 51.32% with 50% of the marks returned; one exam still to go (50%).
HNN112 - 73.30% with 40% of the marks returned; one exam still to go (60%).
HBS109 - 59.50% with 45% of the marks returned; one assignment completed but not returned, one exam still to go (30%). (If I assume 50% on that one assignment, my average is 56.13% going into the exam. I expect more given I got more than 70% on a similar assignment.)

(So I need to get at least 49% in HNM101, 36% in HNN112, 36% in HBS109 given revised figure (that... doesn't sound right...).)

Hope you enjoyed all the maths I do. If I'm stressed over maybe failing things, I do maths to figure it out. Probably not a good idea.

So... see you another day. Toodles....
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
Mid-exams note

Two exams down, one to go. Expound later (tomorrow, next day, day after, who knows). We have no power. :( :( My computer is on 16%.

Also messes up my study. But, well, I didn't really need to study for that one did I!
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
That's all folks... until results.

Well, the semester is over!

Ask me any questions you like and I'll try to answer them. :)

Results come out during my second week of placement (the midwifery one). I'm quite glad so I don't have to spend time stressing about it; I'll probably forget entirely. I hope so. I don't like stress.

The exams were decent. HBS109 was either a breeze or a joke depending on your viewpoint; while there were too many I had to guess to give me even the slightest whisper of a chance, I expect a good proportion of people in the unit to get 100% on the exam. I think I did okay enough, especially for googling everything. (An open book exam.) HNM101 was a lot of fun; I forgot stuff and didn't know stuff but on the whole - well, I think I passed, anyhow. At least with a question about signs of pregnancy I did remember 'positive pregnancy test' before I submitted the exam (though not until well after I'd done the question; I remembered it on my review of my answers and put it in and felt stupid for not getting it earlier). HNN112 was a bit more vague. The stuff I did manage to study there wasn't a single question on, which was annoying, and so there was quite a lot I didn't know. I had loads of time, too. I left with around an hour to go. This gave me time to literally estimate my mark for every question and add it up; I estimate just shy of 50%.

Why not estimate my marks for all of them? Though I won't get raw exam marks I can calculate them given that once results come the exam will be the only variable left in the equation. So: my estimates. HBS109: 60% (36/60). HNM101: 52% (36.5/70). HNN112: 48% (29/60). There. I'll be able to figure it out later as to whether I was right. I estimated percentages then figured numbers of marks from that.

See you next time; perchance before placement, or maybe just when results come. Or if I get that last assignment back before others.
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
That last assignment

I got it back. I'm surprised by the result: I expected that I'd get less than 50% on at least one section of the rubric, but I didn't. My average for HBS109, then, before the exam's results, is 62.7%. Given that, I'm hopeful for a credit overall in the unit (60-69%). Only a squeaking-in-barely one, but I can hope.

Hope is good, right?
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
We have an interesting fact here.

On my midwifery placement in a couple of weeks, I have a day on birth suite, as well as the rest of the days elsewhere.

Please, I'm thinking, right now, just as I discovered this, let there be a birth during that shift and let me be present....
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
Timetable and assorted blatherings

I got my timetable yesterday.

I'm happy.

I have two days on campus. Granted, they're going to be wildly busy, but only two days!

On Tuesday, I've HNM102, a 2 hour seminar, and then an hour later, HNN114, a 2 hour simulation. On Wednesday, I've HNN122, a 2 hour seminar, then directly following, HNN122, a 2 hour simulation. An hour later, HNM102, a 1 hour simulation. And my week's done.

My plan is, in general, to use Monday to do all the weekly readings. That was something I didn't do last time, and that wasn't a good idea. Then Tuesday/Wednesday is all filled up, then I have Thursday and Friday (and Saturday) free. Friday I have arranged stuff that means I'd be going to the uni library for the morning and some of the afternoon. On that day, I intend to read textbooks without actually having to check them out of the library, use them for assignments, &c. Sounds like a plan... that I probably won't follow. Still, it's a good idea.

Unit stuff

Next semester (assuming I don't fail anything this semester, o' course) I have three units - HNM102, HNN122 (double credit point), and HNN114.

HNM102

This is the midwifery subject. In short, we're learning about labour and birth this semester - something I am very excited about! The assessments are:

Group presentation (30%)
3 online tests (20% total)
Exam (50%)
2 weeks of clinical placement (pass/fail)

To achieve this, we have a total of 16 hours of seminar (2 hours a week), 6 hours of simulation (1 hour a week), and 80 hours of placement. Oh, and we also need to do continuity of care experiences.

Let me explain continuity of care. It's a thing for us midwifery students. Over the course of our degree (four years), we've got to follow ten pregnant women throughout their pregnancy, be at the birth of at least six of them, and be at a couple of postnatal appointments. We document their pregnancy and everything. To keep privacy, I won't mention any details about any (obviously) on here. I haven't found any yet; I'm hoping to get one or possibly two while on placement. Ideally, I'd like my ten to include a home birth, a multiple birth, and a complex/premature birth. This is just to get more of a spread of experience with these things, when I won't be the one actually providing any of the care, since we're there in a purely observatory role. (And, just to be clear 'cause the rules on this are very very clear: I am not trying to recruit women here, whether you'd fit the bill or no. We are not allowed to make any call for recruiting or stuff on social media, which I assume includes this. This is an obligatory disclaimer :P)

HNN114

The only on-campus scheduled activities for this unit are weekly, 2 hours, simulations. We learn about health assessment, and the main thing we use is a particular textbook, sounds like. We're meant to develop 'clinical decision making skills'. The assessments are:

3 online tests (20% total)
Assignment (40%)
Skills assessment (40%)

It looks like we have no exam. Well, um, yay. I shake in my shoes when I remember that the skills assessment will actually not just be a hurdle, this unit, we've got to pass it as well as possible. And 40%, argh. Anyway, I'm not really sure about this unit. I'll figure it out as I go, I suppose. And read that textbook.

HNN122

This is the double credit point unit. So... that means every 1% really counts for 2%, right? So if I want a halfway decent WAM I'd better work really hard in this subject? It's the classic nursing subject, I guess, an extension of what we learnt first semester. We have a 2 hour seminar, 2 hour simulation, each week, and also then two weeks of placement. The assessments are:

4 tests (total 40%)
Exam (60%)
Clinical assessment (pass/fail)
Simulation skills (pass/fail)

I am not sure what the last two are. I think clinical assessment simply means that we're being assessed on making sure we've passed placement, but I'm not sure at all. I could be entirely wrong. Simulation skills is probably just them checking in the simulation centre that we're going to be okay for placement, same as last semester, but I could be wrong. I suppose I'll find out.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this update. Do feel free to ask any questions you want and I'll try to answer them!

Results come out on Thursday. On that day, I'll probably just put whether I passed or failed everything, and give actual grades when I get everything back (HNM101 won't give me a grade until I've passed the practical component, and I'll be in the middle of placement at the time, so I'll only know if I've passed or failed the theoretical component).

Getting nervous thinking about results again. Be seeing you.
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her