Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:26:51 am

Author Topic: Life of a Chronically Stressed HSC Student  (Read 38893 times)

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
Life of a Chronically Stressed HSC Student
« on: April 26, 2020, 11:59:10 am »
+15
Hello everyone!!!

My name is Alice and I cannot believe that I'm graduating this year!!! Albeit it does seem far away with the current situation. I've recently been spending more time on the ATAR Notes forum; I guess it makes me feel more comforted with a sense of community during this isolation period. I've decided to start this HSC journal in order to somewhat keep me accountable??? I've also created a study gram (let's see how that goes...). Even though half of year 12 has already passed, there's still a lot of growing and learning to go!!

A little bit about me:
- I honestly think I peaked in primary school, ngl. I won dux in year 6 and that was it lol. I was the kid who took piano, swimming and art lessons. Now I am an unmotivated, chronically stressed and anxious HSC student.  ;D
- I'm trying to get back into piano. I've neglected it for a few years (oops), but I really want to pick it up after HSC is over.
- I really don't know what to do after HSC. I want to do so many things but I'm possibly the most indecisive person you will ever meet. I'm also probably the most stereotypical Aquarius ever - most if not all of my career goals are humanitarian oriented. I stress and overthink about the future (of humanity) way too much. (Queen of existential crises)  ;)
- I loooooveeeee food. Period. (I was running a noodles account but I haven't posted in a while - maybe I should get back into it.

Anywho, onto actual SCHOOL related things. My subjects are:

English Advanced. My prescribed texts: Rosemary Dobson's poetry (Common Mod), King Richard III (Module A), Great Expectations (Module B), Spotty Handed Villainesses and Eulogy for Gough Whitlam (Module C).
Modern History. Topics: USA, Indochina and Apartheid in South Africa.
History Extension: JFK as my case study.
Legal Studies: my options are Family and Indigenous peoples law!
Japanese Beginners
Society and Culture: my electives are Social Inclusion & Exclusion and Belief Systems.

I took Maths Advanced in year 11, but I dropped it at the start of year 12 - possibly the best decision I have ever made (even though it took me a good month or so to decide). I have never been a maths person, probably never will. For some reason, my grade has the most people who have dropped math compared to previous years! (Around 10ish people, compared to 1 last year)

Since I take Society and Culture, 40% of my external HSC mark comes from my Personal Interest Project (more on this in a separate post). For History Extension, I have the History Project which is internally assessed.

I go to a semi-selective school in the south-west of Sydney (SWS represent) - I was in the selective stream, but in year 11 and 12 it doesn't really matter anyway since classes are all mixed. My cohort is generally quite competitive, but nowhere near as competitive as the top 10 selective schools (you know, those schools). My school ranking has been dropping over the past few years - here's to hoping that my cohort will bring it up! Since I'm not too sure what uni course I want to get into, I don't really have a set ATAR goal. Obviously as high as possible. Maybe 95?? I know I'm definitely not doing Med or anything that requires a crazy 99.95 ATAR lol.

Currently, my school has removed an assessment task for all but one of my subjects - so only two assessments + trials! This means I have a bit more time this term to focus on preparing for trial exams - I'm super nervous since I don't think I have very good exam skills (I tend to do way better for hand in type assessments).

I think I'm doing relatively well for my subjects. My estimated ranks are:
English: top 10 at least (but lots of people are tied atm) out of maybe 100 I wanna say??
Legal: 1 out of ~60
Modern: top 3-4?? out of ~60
Society and Culture: 1/15
Jap: top ~4 out of 15
History Extension: there hasn't been an assessment yet - it's only my History Project due in Week 9 of this term, and then Trials!

Well, this has been a lengthy introduction. I'll probably make separate posts for subject specific rants. I'm looking forward to updating this as regularly as I can. Thank you to anyone who took the time to read all of this!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 06:54:36 pm by alice343 »
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
Re: Life of a Chronically Stressed HSC Student
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 03:40:16 pm »
+7
Hey alice343,

Welcome to the forum! Glad you could join, this is a great community and the HSC Journals section have been a bit slow lately. Judging by your ranks, it sounds like you're doing great in terms of study. What subjects do you enjoy most? I noticed you seem to be trending towards social aspect of humanities as opposed to the economic.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 03:50:18 pm by Justin_L »
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 04:21:59 pm »
+7
Hey alice343,

Welcome to the forum! Glad you could join, this is a great community and the HSC Journals section have been a bit slow lately. Judging by your ranks, it sounds like you're doing great in terms of study. What subjects do you enjoy most? I noticed you seem to be trending towards social aspect of humanities as opposed to the economic.

Hi Justin!

Thanks for the welcome, I've been sorta procrastinating work by reading all the HSC journal entries on the forum haha. Here's to maintaining/improving those ranks! At the moment, I definitely enjoy Modern History the most. I enjoyed Legal Studies during the Crime unit, but I wasn't feeling the Human Rights topic as much (probably because it was interrupted by the pandemic). And yes, you are right - I definitely enjoy the social aspect more. In general, I'm more interested in history and languages. In the USA topic for Modern, a lot of the content had to do with economic policy - that was the most frustrating and confusing part! A couple of my friends do Economics and Business Studies, and all the work just seems so boring (no offence to anyone who does them ;D).
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 11:39:50 am »
+5
Hey!

Those ranks are more than just "pretty good" imo, particularly in a competitive cohort. I didn't have an ATAR goal for a while (we had a motivational speaker come in and get us to write an ATAR goal down at the start of the year and I wrote 70 but personally I would've been disappointed with that) but after learning about courses and scholarships I hadn't known before that jumped up to a 98 goal. Having a goal can be useful as a motivator for some people but tbh I think the biggest influence it had was making me more stressed rather than helping me achieve things. Like sure, I got it in the end but I think that may have happened anyway if I'd just focused on doing my best.

TLDR; don't worry about not having a goal. You might pick one up or not but either way is fine :)

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 02:53:54 pm »
+4
Hey!

Those ranks are more than just "pretty good" imo, particularly in a competitive cohort. I didn't have an ATAR goal for a while (we had a motivational speaker come in and get us to write an ATAR goal down at the start of the year and I wrote 70 but personally I would've been disappointed with that) but after learning about courses and scholarships I hadn't known before that jumped up to a 98 goal. Having a goal can be useful as a motivator for some people but tbh I think the biggest influence it had was making me more stressed rather than helping me achieve things. Like sure, I got it in the end but I think that may have happened anyway if I'd just focused on doing my best.

TLDR; don't worry about not having a goal. You might pick one up or not but either way is fine :)

Hey Bri MT!

Thank you for the reassurance! I've definitely worried about not having a specific goal, since many people at my school already know what university they're going to, what course they want to get into, what career, etc. But I've realised that it's okay to not have one!

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 03:01:44 pm »
Sooooooo, I might have been trying to write an essay for the Common Module and have only managed an introduction so far... but progress is progress!  :D I feel like resources for the Common Module are severely lacking?? I can't seem to find many exemplar essays, let alone exemplars for my prescribed text (shoutout to my school for choosing the most niche text ever). Oh well. I also plan to attempt the Mod C question from the 2019 HSC exam - my teacher encouraged our class to attempt under exam timing, but that doesn't seem very likely given our little exposure to creative and discursive writing.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 11:16:45 pm »
+5
Sooooooo, I might have been trying to write an essay for the Common Module and have only managed an introduction so far... but progress is progress!  :D I feel like resources for the Common Module are severely lacking?? I can't seem to find many exemplar essays, let alone exemplars for my prescribed text (shoutout to my school for choosing the most niche text ever). Oh well. I also plan to attempt the Mod C question from the 2019 HSC exam - my teacher encouraged our class to attempt under exam timing, but that doesn't seem very likely given our little exposure to creative and discursive writing.

Hey, alice343!

Any progress is worth celebrating! We do have some Common Module resources in this thread! Super keen to read more of your journal  ;D There are also some exemplar essays available in the Notes section but finding exemplars are always tricky when you've got something as niche as Dobson  :( You could look at some of the further reading resources thread I compiled here; I did find some materials for Dobson which might inspire you!

I'd also advise against attempting a Mod C question until you feel a little more confident with it. Perhaps attempt the sample paper question that NESA made at a more comfortable pace before diving into the 2019 question under timed conditions  :) I'm super keen to read more of your journal over the rest of the year! Keep asking questions and getting involved here in the community  :D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 10:15:20 am »
+3
Hey, alice343!

Any progress is worth celebrating! We do have some Common Module resources in this thread! Super keen to read more of your journal  ;D There are also some exemplar essays available in the Notes section but finding exemplars are always tricky when you've got something as niche as Dobson  :( You could look at some of the further reading resources thread I compiled here; I did find some materials for Dobson which might inspire you!

I'd also advise against attempting a Mod C question until you feel a little more confident with it. Perhaps attempt the sample paper question that NESA made at a more comfortable pace before diving into the 2019 question under timed conditions  :) I'm super keen to read more of your journal over the rest of the year! Keep asking questions and getting involved here in the community  :D

Angelina  ;D

Hi Angelina!

Thank you for all the resources and advice! I will definitely look into those and the sample paper  :)

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 08:53:57 am »
+6
Today is the first day of term 2 - I'm pretty excited to have some structure to this madness, even if it is still online learning. The holidays just flew by - usually I find myself begging for school to come sooner. My teacher for Society and Culture even recorded his lecture and pasted it onto each PowerPoint slide!!!  :'( I'm looking forward to starting new topics and modules this term, even though it feels like we haven't quite finished the previous ones since there's still assessments from last term that have been continually postponed.

Some things I have implemented/will try to implement to alleviate any disorientation with at-home online learning:
- Today I plan to move around my house for each period, so each space is like a different 'classroom'
- I'm wearing my school uniform - this helps A LOT
- I have alarms set for when the school bell would normally ring - each period, recess, lunch etc.
- Different desktops set up on my laptop for each subject/period
- Putting my phone elsewhere during class
- If I'm in a video lecture, keeping my camera on so I'm less tempted to slack and zone off

I'm sure there's more that I can't think of right now at the top of my head, but I'll edit it if I can think of more!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 06:51:06 pm by alice343 »

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 08:55:34 am »
Also, how does the 'list' option work? Every time I use it, it shows up on the preview but not when I post it ://

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 04:35:43 pm »
Today is the first day of term 2 - I'm pretty excited to have some structure to this madness, even if it is still online learning. The holidays just flew by - usually I find myself begging for school to come sooner. My teacher for Society and Culture even recorded his lecture and pasted it onto each PowerPoint slide!!!  :'( I'm looking forward to starting new topics and modules this term, even though it feels like we haven't quite finished the previous ones since there's still assessments from last term that have been continually postponed.

Some things I have implemented/will try to implement to alleviate any disorientation with at-home online learning:
  • Today I plan to move around my house for each period, so each space is like a different 'classroom'.
  • I'm wearing my school uniform - this helps A LOT
  • I have alarms set for when the school bell would normally ring - each period, recess, lunch etc.
  • Different desktops set up on my laptop for each subject/period
  • Putting my phone elsewhere during class
  • If I'm in a video lecture, keeping my camera on so I'm less tempted to slack and zone off

I'm sure there's more that I can't think of right now at the top of my head, but I'll edit it if I can think of more!

Hey Alice343,

Great tips, and it's amazing you're so far ahead on getting used to online learning. How are you finding it so far? Our school ended with an assessment block last term, so we're all still getting used to it. As for the list function, I tried it and I think it may just be broken. Maybe try using bold, colour, dashes as a replacement for now?
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2020, 07:08:27 pm »
+1
Hey Alice343,

Great tips, and it's amazing you're so far ahead on getting used to online learning. How are you finding it so far? Our school ended with an assessment block last term, so we're all still getting used to it. As for the list function, I tried it and I think it may just be broken. Maybe try using bold, colour, dashes as a replacement for now?

Today was pretty productive day! I guess I've had a bit more time to adjust, since all the assessments at the end of last term were postponed and there wasn't much work. Also, I think the initial phase of me getting distracted has passed - I don't even want to go on social media/my phone anymore (weird, I know, but also yay!!!). And thanks for the listing alternatives :)

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2020, 07:13:16 pm »
+5
Now that everything's online, I have to communicate with my teachers over message and email. Sure, I emailed and commented on Google Classroom before all this, but usually I only talk to my friends online - with slang, emojis, ya know. Now, I constantly have to catch myself from typing something that might be a bit TOO comfortable for my teachers LOL. And some of my older teachers are strangely acquainted with teenage slang and memes??? Who are they!!

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2020, 01:47:45 pm »
+3
Week 1, Term 2

I only had school for 2 days this week, since it was week B and we get Friday off as our study day. It's fairly chill so far.

English Adv
We started Module B last term, when quarantine started. Our teacher assigned us work during the holidays, so I feel like we are relatively ahead. I read the text (Great Expectations) during the summer holidays so I feel pretty confident with starting this module. I'm currently re-reading it whilst we're learning about the different critical perspectives, and it really is different from reading the first time. Our assessment for Module A is week 5, so I still have to regularly review myself on it and write practice essays to make sure I'm ready for it (Even though they haven't given us the notification yet). So yea, everything seems to be fine for English!

Modern History
We started Indochina - so far just an introduction. I've been writing my very delayed notes for Power and Authority. Not much else.

Legal Studies
We're doing Family law this term for one of the options. This week was just a recap of Human Rights, and I hope I can finish my notes for it soon.

Society and Culture
Started Belief Systems and Ideologies - our teacher is a bit too lenient on us and keeps extending the date for when he wants our PIP drafts - of course, no one has written one yet (I hope to give in one by week 5).

Extension History
We haven't had a class yet, but I know that I really need to start writing my essay for the History Project. I finally came up with a question that incorporated all the things I wanted to talk about, and I got my teacher's approval!

Japanese
So this is the subject I'm the most ahead in. We've finished the textbook (And we still have two terms left!), so I guess now until Trials, the oral exam and the HSC is all just revision. Japanese is definitely one of the more easier to study subjects since it's a LOTE subject, and it's nice to not have to write essays all the time (ya know, for someone who takes 5 essay subjects, I sure don't write enough essays LOL).

That's my update for the first week! Not much has happened yet (soz for the rather dry update), but it'll ramp up pretty soon. I just need to make sure I stay on top of everything, make solid progress on my PIP and History Project, and start revising for Trials.

Thanks for reading guys! Make sure you're staying safe and connected to your loved ones!!!

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2020, 08:28:18 pm »
+5
Week 2, Term 2 Update

This week has been draining, to say the least. I've been keeping on top of my subjects and homework, updating my notes daily, but all the days just seem to blend into each other (please let this end soon).

I've been stressing a lot about my PIP and History Project since I can't seem to motivate myself to work on it. I keep looking at all the progress everyone else has made on the forum and on the Facebook discussion groups, and freaking myself out even more (ahhhhh!!!!!).

I've got an assessment for Modern due on Monday - just an essay, but I've been procrastinating it SO HARD. Get this: we've had this assessment for 11 weeks now. We got the notification in week 5, four weeks prior to the initial date (it was also supposed to be an in-class essay). Then the pandemic happened, so it got postponed, and now it's due week 3 of this term. It amazes me how I can be given such a generous amount of time to complete a 1500-1800 word essay and STILL leave it to the last minute  ;D. At the moment, I have a vague semblance of an introduction and some chunks of a body paragraph. I want to try to finish it tomorrow morning, so I can get some peer editing and polish it up. It's also not due until midnight on Monday... but I'll try not to procrastinate that hard lol.

Our English teacher has told us that our assessment notification is coming in week 3, but we don't know if it's an in-class essay like originally planned or an online submission. I'm a bit worried about it since I haven't been revising Mod A and I don't know if I can prepare for an in-class essay!!

Anyways, now I've got all the stress out of me. Thanks for listening :)