Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:02:02 am

Author Topic: Language Analysis - Advice for Synergistic Aproach  (Read 2140 times)  Share 

09Ti08

Language Analysis - Advice for Synergistic Aproach
« on: May 11, 2013, 10:14:56 pm »
Hello,

I have a problem with language analysis. In class, I am given 2 articles which have opposing viewpoints on child labour. I tried to use the synergistic approach for my essay, but it just didn't work... I have read many examples and see how a good response should be like, but I couldn't write something like that, even though I have some good ideas in mind. My sentences always end up being too ambiguous and my teacher commented that I could not delve into the effects of the techniques. Besides, he suggested that I should go with the chronological approach to make my life easier. But I'm still skeptical about this approach, what if the article is too long and you basically cannot analyze everything? I don't want to jump from, say, at the middle to the end of the article. In this case, I think the synergistic approach is going to be more suitable, as the assessor won't expect me to analyze in any particular order. Can someone please comment further on this? Is there any way that can help to write a better synergistic essay?

Thank you very much!

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +256
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2008
Re: Language Analysis - Advice for Synergistic Aproach
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 11:01:19 pm »
+1
Deciding between synergistic/chronological (terms which I made up for the English study guide; so if others are reading this and have no idea what he's talking about, don't worry) shouldn't affect your ability to analyse. If you're being too ambiguous, then you need to head back to to basics of technique-purpose-effect and aim to nail that first because that is the main determinate of your marks in language analysis. The chronological approach is likely to make your life easier and I do recommend it for most people. I'm not sure where you get the idea from that the chronological approach involves analysing everything available, but it doesn't. Just like you would for the synergistic method, pick out what you like (based on quality, quantity, complexity as usual), and analyse just those. Except now, you just do them in the order they come. Jumping around isn't as much of an issue as you seem to think it is. As long as you go in order and just chain things together with linking words such as 'afterwards', 'subsequently', 'next' etc, then it'll be fine. You just need some basis for your organisation. As for writing a better synergistic essay, I wouldn't bother at the moment. Get your basics right first with the chronological method, and aim to step it up to the synergistic method if you really want later. It's not necessary at all though to get a good mark. Plenty of people just use the simple chronological method and get very high marks.
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70

09Ti08

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 11:34:15 am »
Thanks for the reply, shinny!
I'm not sure where you get the idea from that the chronological approach involves analysing everything available, but it doesn't.
Umm, that's what my teacher told me... At least, that's what he expects me to do, I don't know why. I have read the high-range responses published on VCAA, and not all of them have analyzed everything...

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +256
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 01:41:56 pm »
Thanks for the reply, shinny! Umm, that's what my teacher told me... At least, that's what he expects me to do, I don't know why. I have read the high-range responses published on VCAA, and not all of them have analyzed everything...

Well ignore your teacher's advice because it's not possible. There's way too many techniques in any article for you to analyse all of them. If you wanted to do that in an hour, you'd only analyse each one quite superficially, and in language analysis, it's all about the depth of analysis rather than the quantity.
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 05:34:37 pm »
+1
I can sympathise with the OP. My teacher was also, despite being a very excellent teacher, an advocator for "don't miss important things when analysing". He never docked marks too harshly, but he seemed to have a minimal preference for 'the more the merrier'. I can conclusively reinforce Shinny in saying that that is NOT the approach you should be taking into the exam. As for the SAC, be your teacher's pet monkey.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️