Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:42:13 am

Author Topic: .  (Read 3058 times)

Jesxxs321

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« on: June 11, 2018, 01:18:48 pm »
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 05:24:39 pm by Jesxxs321 »

kaustubh.patel

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Re: Stressed
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 01:36:26 pm »
Bro trust me as long as u cram all the stuff with decent night sleep u'll be fine. We've all been there and in yr 12 it doesn't get better you'll just get used to it. A mate of mine did 14 units and he was in the exact same problem. This guy did an allnighter on a thrusday with me on a facebook call (we did our engineering reports in one night, before the due date) and he told me how his monday and tuesday were all gone in chem skills exam and english speech prep. He had 3u maths exam on a wednesday and an almost 10 page engineering report due on friday. The thing is at like 4 in the night when our fingers were speed dancing on the keyboard and our mouths cursing how engineering scales so low and how we don't have enough time for all assignments (instead of regretting the fact that we had 4 weeks to do the report). He told me he had a biology skills exam tomorrow. I was like dude why the f&*k u even here u need sleep. Turns out the only exam he screwed up in was english, infact after that bio exam he ws ranked 12th.

Jesxxs321

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 04:42:57 pm »
Bro trust me as long as u cram all the stuff with decent night sleep u'll be fine. We've all been there and in yr 12 it doesn't get better you'll just get used to it. A mate of mine did 14 units and he was in the exact same problem. This guy did an allnighter on a thrusday with me on a facebook call (we did our engineering reports in one night, before the due date) and he told me how his monday and tuesday were all gone in chem skills exam and english speech prep. He had 3u maths exam on a wednesday and an almost 10 page engineering report due on friday. The thing is at like 4 in the night when our fingers were speed dancing on the keyboard and our mouths cursing how engineering scales so low and how we don't have enough time for all assignments (instead of regretting the fact that we had 4 weeks to do the report). He told me he had a biology skills exam tomorrow. I was like dude why the f&*k u even here u need sleep. Turns out the only exam he screwed up in was english, infact after that bio exam he ws ranked 12th.

Thank you for answering :) and tbh I don't really want to pull all nighters because they're mostly exams, and I feel all nighters are better for assignments?? I'm not sure though

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 04:58:18 pm »
+2
Thank you for answering :) and tbh I don't really want to pull all nighters because they're mostly exams, and I feel all nighters are better for assignments?? I'm not sure though

I think just do what you can do! Remember this is Year 11, your marks mean nothing in the long run, an all-nighter isn't going to put you in the best condition for an exam and it's not worth the effort anyway! Why punish yourself for a mark that vanishes in three months? ;D

Welcome to the forums, by the way! ;D

Jesxxs321

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 08:12:34 pm »
I think just do what you can do! Remember this is Year 11, your marks mean nothing in the long run, an all-nighter isn't going to put you in the best condition for an exam and it's not worth the effort anyway! Why punish yourself for a mark that vanishes in three months? ;D

Welcome to the forums, by the way! ;D

Thank you :) I'm mainly worried about teachers asking me to drop subjects, especially mx1 as I've been doing really badly and I have an exam coming up soon, which I'm not confident in at all

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
Stressed
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 09:25:54 pm »
+1
Thank you :) I'm mainly worried about teachers asking me to drop subjects, especially mx1 as I've been doing really badly and I have an exam coming up soon, which I'm not confident in at all

Omg legit I feel you. Honestly I know how hard it may seem to accept at face value, but year 11 is seriously not worth stressing over. Your marks don't make or break you - as long as you are expending the best effort you can into your subjects, that's good enough. Seriously. I've been where you are - when I was in year 11, I was doing horrendously in English Advanced which actually concerned me because, in my school, the bottom ranked half of the cohort are forced to standard for the HSC year at the end of prelims. If you look at my post history, there's legit a massive post from me asking for advice about how to deal with stress from my less than ideal English marks and I remember reading Jamon's advice and not believing it. I thought it would determine my year 12 performance - I thought to myself, if I can't ace year 11 then how the fuck am I going to do well in year 12? I was literally in a perpetual cycle of depression about that for the longest time. Yet, a year later, I went from being on the precipice of being dropped to standard (I just made the cut for Advanced lol) to ranking 2nd out of 36 people (I used to be 30/~70 in prelim lol). The stress is real, I get that. But don't beat yourself up if circumstances don't come out in your favour. I have 4 exams over 3 days next week and I'm in my HSC year. It sucks, but that's just reality. I'm a fairly pragmatic person, so I've been getting up at 4:30am everyday to maximise use of my time to study. I hate maths, so I've been using the time from 5am (I take a shower when I get up) to 7am to do some revision, and then when I come home, I do about 4-5 hours on everything else. Maths, you definitely cannot cram imo. It works to some extent, but it's much more effective if you spread it our over regular sessions. You might not have much time, but make use of what you do have.
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

Jesxxs321

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 09:42:26 pm »
Omg legit I feel you. Honestly I know how hard it may seem to accept at face value, but year 11 is seriously not worth stressing over. Your marks don't make or break you - as long as you are expending the best effort you can into your subjects, that's good enough. Seriously. I've been where you are - when I was in year 11, I was doing horrendously in English Advanced which actually concerned me because, in my school, the bottom ranked half of the cohort are forced to standard for the HSC year at the end of prelims. If you look at my post history, there's legit a massive post from me asking for advice about how to deal with stress from my less than ideal English marks and I remember reading Jamon's advice and not believing it. I thought it would determine my year 12 performance - I thought to myself, if I can't ace year 11 then how the fuck am I going to do well in year 12? I was literally in a perpetual cycle of depression about that for the longest time. Yet, a year later, I went from being on the precipice of being dropped to standard (I just made the cut for Advanced lol) to ranking 2nd out of 36 people (I used to be 30/~70 in prelim lol). The stress is real, I get that. But don't beat yourself up if circumstances don't come out in your favour. I have 4 exams over 3 days next week and I'm in my HSC year. It sucks, but that's just reality. I'm a fairly pragmatic person, so I've been getting up at 4:30am everyday to maximise use of my time to study. I hate maths, so I've been using the time from 5am (I take a shower when I get up) to 7am to do some revision, and then when I come home, I do about 4-5 hours on everything else. Maths, you definitely cannot cram imo. It works to some extent, but it's much more effective if you spread it our over regular sessions. You might not have much time, but make use of what you do have.
Thank you so much for answering, makes me feel better knowing there is a possibility that I can improve :) the problem with me though is that I haven't really been putting that much effort, mainly due to procrastination :/ and yes omg the thing you said about how "if I can't do well now then how can I do well in y12" is sooo true, especially since I don't have the best study habits. I wish I had even half the motivation you do to be studying for 4-5 hours 😂 I've tried to stop my procrastination but it doesn't really do much. Again tysmmmm I really needed that :)

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 09:58:03 pm »
+1

Thank you so much for answering, makes me feel better knowing there is a possibility that I can improve :) the problem with me though is that I haven't really been putting that much effort, mainly due to procrastination :/ and yes omg the thing you said about how "if I can't do well now then how can I do well in y12" is sooo true, especially since I don't have the best study habits. I wish I had even half the motivation you do to be studying for 4-5 hours I've tried to stop my procrastination but it doesn't really do much. Again tysmmmm I really needed that :)

Aw not a problem!! Seriously, I used to be where you are - most days I would literally just not study. 2 hours a day was considered good for me, which honestly wasnt too much of a problem in year 11. However, if you want to develop good study habits, I seriously recommend getting the app "Forest" - it's like $2 or something. I wasn't too into it when I got it, but now it keeps me on top of my shit so well. Basically, it incentivises you to stay off your phone (which is my main source of procrastination) by growing a tree and if you multitask out of the app, it dies. It's almost like the "snapchat streak" mentality. Everyweek, I do atleast 35 hours of study (which the app counts) and because I haven't broken this pattern in awhile, I'd feel so disappointed in myself if I fell short of that so I just keep going according to that. Of course, 35 hours per week is a bit excessive for a year 11 student, so maybe aim for 20 hours/week or something. Plus you can gain points to buy trees to make your garden pretty and stuff! It sounds so dumb from a distance, but it's legit so good if you're addicted to your phone like me haha! Plus I have friends on it and you can kinda see how many hours they've done that day, which motivates me to beat them somewhat lol.
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 10:12:13 pm »

I'm in Year 12 this year too, and honestly I'm highkey amazed at how you manage to study not only after school but also BEFORE. How much sleep do you get per school night? Because wow, you're actually my study goals rn (in terms of time management).
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 11:38:17 pm »
+1

I'm in Year 12 this year too, and honestly I'm highkey amazed at how you manage to study not only after school but also BEFORE. How much sleep do you get per school night? Because wow, you're actually my study goals rn (in terms of time management).

HAHAHA aw thanks!! I actually have only done this for the past month or so. Before I reached this point, I used to considered 20 hours/week studying a lot but I gradually built up my tolerance to 35 hours/week and now it honestly doesn't even feel hard at all - I easily exceed 40 but 35 is the bare minimum I do haha. I had a friend who got a 98 ATAR that told me this, and I was amazed like you at how that was even humanely possible but honestly, once you get it down, it feels weird to do anything but that. Legit, this sounds so weird, but there was one week where I was really out of my regimen because of athletics carnival excitement where I only did 20 hours and various other events that I felt so shit. Like you know that feeling when you eat too much junk food at once and you just want to vomit? That's literally how I feel if I don't study enough because the thought of being behind is always on my mind lol. I sleep at 11;30-12 ish so my sleep is compromised, but I don't really feel the difference between 2 hour sleep and 12 hours sleep so I'm indifferent hahaha.

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 11:39:27 pm »

Omg I used to have this app called focus or something and it would just track the amount of time i spent studying and that did help for a while, but then I just stopped using it and deleted it. I think the forest one will be a better idea tbh, so I might end up getting that, I've even seen youtubers use it (yeah I watch study videos on yt lmao). Hopefully the forest app ends up motivating me, thank you soo much once again and btw good luck on your hsc!! And also I second what razeen25 has said, your levels of motivation and commitment are my goals.

HAHAHA yeah, I hope it works for you!! And thank you so much, I'll need it ;D Honestly once you establish a routine, it feels weird to do anything but that. As always, the hard part is starting. You'll get there!

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 01:21:21 am »
HAHAHA aw thanks!! I actually have only done this for the past month or so. Before I reached this point, I used to considered 20 hours/week studying a lot but I gradually built up my tolerance to 35 hours/week and now it honestly doesn't even feel hard at all - I easily exceed 40 but 35 is the bare minimum I do haha. I had a friend who got a 98 ATAR that told me this, and I was amazed like you at how that was even humanely possible but honestly, once you get it down, it feels weird to do anything but that. Legit, this sounds so weird, but there was one week where I was really out of my regimen because of athletics carnival excitement where I only did 20 hours and various other events that I felt so shit. Like you know that feeling when you eat too much junk food at once and you just want to vomit? That's literally how I feel if I don't study enough because the thought of being behind is always on my mind lol. I sleep at 11;30-12 ish so my sleep is compromised, but I don't really feel the difference between 2 hour sleep and 12 hours sleep so I'm indifferent hahaha.

I’M ACTUALLY SO SHOOK YOU DO THAT. I wish I was like you, being able to not sleep much and still be able to get through the day. I sleep 6-ish hours on school nights and even THEN I get headaches from lack of sleep :((. But oml YOU HAVE MOTIVATED ME TO STUDY MORE WITH YOUR STUDY HABITS BAHSHAHA SO bless your soul.
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

Jesxxs321

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 04:26:37 pm »
HAHAHA yeah, I hope it works for you!! And thank you so much, I'll need it ;D Honestly once you establish a routine, it feels weird to do anything but that. As always, the hard part is starting. You'll get there!

Tysm  :) also so sorry but one more thing, do u study for 4-5 hours straight after school or do u do like 30 mins of study, 5 mins break or something? Also omg I wishhh I could sleep as little as you do and still feel fine, I always feel like I'm behind everyone else if I sleep at a normal time ahah

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 04:54:32 pm »

Tysm  :) also so sorry but one more thing, do u study for 4-5 hours straight after school or do u do like 30 mins of study, 5 mins break or something? Also omg I wishhh I could sleep as little as you do and still feel fine, I always feel like I'm behind everyone else if I sleep at a normal time ahah

Hahaha no worries! omg yes ofc I take breaks - I would probably go insane otherwise! I usually take like 20-30 min breaks. I know how you feel - I was like that in year 11 but that's a whole new story HAHAHA