Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:47:08 am

Author Topic: The meaning of HSC (finding purpose)  (Read 1080 times)

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +44
The meaning of HSC (finding purpose)
« on: June 04, 2018, 06:00:06 pm »
+2
Hey guys,
as some of you may have been aware from reading my journal my overall HSC journey hasn't been too great.... After the half yearlies I have lost 6 weeks to almost nothing and assessments are coming up as I often struggle with myself as I 'wanted to give up' and 'fight harder' at the same time... The consequences overall was herrendous (not gonna bother explaining too much here, I have posted more than enough negative posts so trying to minise it).

Now I was told to not stress too much over the HSC, and in fact I have tried and keep failing to compose myself and get over my failures, until now that is (from here I know that it took very long for me to recover from failure).... The HSC to me is like a 'dog eat dog' situation and everyday I fear others 'biting' me... Now I know that Rui have told me that once I am out the HSC means absolutely nothing... Jamon too have told us in the lectures that the HSC is useless once it's done (once I get into the course I wanted etc)... knowing that HSC is not an end all is relieving yet at the same time I am deeply obsessed with a short term joy and people being in awe with my results.... Right now I find that the HSC literally have no purpose besides of fulfilling my pride and getting my point across to some people that I strongly hated (in a way proving myself and refuse to be oppressed, the story is too long and personal so I am not going to even start it anywhere)... and I do not have many friends at all anywhere (I am somewhat a loner)... lacking in extracullicular activities (this may prevent me from doing certain things and reduce employability skills perhaps?).. and the list goes on....

Now I just want to know how everyone else think of the HSC, what is more valuable at the end of the HSC year?
2018 HSC: 4U maths, 3U maths, Standard English, Chemistry, Physics

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: The meaning of HSC (finding purpose)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 07:12:10 pm »
+6
Hey, clovvy.

The HSC sounds like a big deal right now (probably one of the biggest things in your life to date!) but to be totally cliche, it's not the end of the world. Plans change, goals change - things change.

I definitely can relate to the short-term joy of getting great results, but really, no one asks you what your ATAR like 2 days after it's out. It's not even relevant to your life after that point. I've only been asked about my ATAR once after that 2 day period, and that was by a teacher back at school when I went last Wednesday. Not even an hour after I got my results, I didn't even give a shit. Seriously.

From what you've written, I think you place your expectations way too high. Don't put all your happiness in one thing, i.e. your HSC/ATAR. It's not the be all end all, and what you do academically doesn't make you any less of a person. Attitude and how you hold yourself is way more important that a number you get in an email or text when you get your results.

At the end of the day, whether or not you get into your desired course there are always pathways. Uni isn't how always how people become successful either. Sometimes it is about connections *cough* communications industry *cough* but it's possible to be successful without acquiring a tertiary education. Also, you're in year 12. Enjoy your last year of high school! Chill out, don't worry too much about the end result and just take it day by day and the results will show for the work you've done.

All the best,
fantasticbeasts
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 07:17:03 pm »
+1
-snip-
Hey guys,
as some of you may have been aware from reading my journal my overall HSC journey hasn't been too great.... After the half yearlies I have lost 6 weeks to almost nothing and assessments are coming up as I often struggle with myself as I 'wanted to give up' and 'fight harder' at the same time... The consequences overall was herrendous (not gonna bother explaining too much here, I have posted more than enough negative posts so trying to minise it).

Now I was told to not stress too much over the HSC, and in fact I have tried and keep failing to compose myself and get over my failures, until now that is (from here I know that it took very long for me to recover from failure).... The HSC to me is like a 'dog eat dog' situation and everyday I fear others 'biting' me... Now I know that Rui have told me that once I am out the HSC means absolutely nothing... Jamon too have told us in the lectures that the HSC is useless once it's done (once I get into the course I wanted etc)... knowing that HSC is not an end all is relieving yet at the same time I am deeply obsessed with a short term joy and people being in awe with my results.... Right now I find that the HSC literally have no purpose besides of fulfilling my pride and getting my point across to some people that I strongly hated (in a way proving myself and refuse to be oppressed, the story is too long and personal so I am not going to even start it anywhere)... and I do not have many friends at all anywhere (I am somewhat a loner)... lacking in extracullicular activities (this may prevent me from doing certain things and reduce employability skills perhaps?).. and the list goes on....

Now I just want to know how everyone else think of the HSC, what is more valuable at the end of the HSC year?
On the understanding that you are, in your own words, "a bit of a loner", this might not be the answer you want, but for me, (VCE rather than the HSC) the main thing at the end that is better than the results is the time spent with my cohort.
Growing up through school with them, and seeing how people's attitude changes as circumstances change, as people develop, it's been a truly amazing ride, and it's one that I will be sad to get off, irregardless of ATAR or anything...

FB3's reply is prolly much better suited, but I thought i'd just throw mine out there...
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 07:25:47 pm »
+4
Hey guys,

The HSC is simply just one hurdle in life =). At the time it feels like it's everything in the world, but in reality, it is simply only one path to a career. I think that when we're told "It's everything in the world" or that "If you stuff up your hsc, you're gone", it's easy to believe that, but it's simply not true!

I look back on this in hindsight, as I have met many people in uni who have done things like:
- Private college > uni
- Tafe > Uni
- HSC > Uni 1 > Uni 2

What matters in life is that you reach your end goal, it isn't about how fast things go in the short term, but that you reach your end goal in the long term.

On a final note, your results in the HSC does not determine your self worth and it does mean nothing after the HSC (rui is correct)  :)

What is the most important at the end of the year, you ask?  :):
- Happiness/mental health!
- HSC results and marks second

Besides, if you're not in a good mental state, that will impede on your ability to achieve your goals in the future
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 07:28:38 pm by EEEEEEP »

Bells_123

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 07:30:25 pm »
+4
Hey!

I'm also a year 12 student and have experienced a similar struggle in terms of motivation to actually do study and assessments. There's a part of me wanting to do really well in my HSC since the courses and universities I'm interested in are quite comeptitive and academically demanding, but I often reach stages where I just feel exhausted.

The HSC is definitely a period of having to grind through things you don't want to do, combined with stressful thoughts about life after school and trying to maintain a sort of 'balance' between study and leisure like everyone says is important to do. Plus it's the last year of school which is weird and daunting to think about for me since my whole life has pretty much revolved around school like I've lived in this little bubble. But I don't see the HSC as something 'special' if that makes sense, I sort of treat it as another normal school year, and this thought helps calm me and relieve worries that I have. I wouldn't say I have many friends either but just people who I talk to (more like acquaintances), and I usually talk about my issues with my family since it helps a lot to discuss pent-up feelings and vent to others.

I used to get really anxious thinking about the HSC and the marks I'll get, whether I'll top the class or fail and disappoint others, but now I just go with the flow and try to maintain a flexible study routine (rather than a strict routine which makes me tense and upset if I don't complete my daily tasks). The results I get and the ATAR I receive isn't the most valuable thing for me at the end of the year, it's more of my growth in character and looking back at what I've done in school. I find that if I anticipate or hope for getting 100% in an exam or assessment all the time, I just set myself up for disappointment and I no longer want to do that to myself. I used to compare my marks with others and I still do to some extent, but I've reached the point where I try and accept my failures or mistakes and grow from it (in regards to assessments and life in general).

Lately I have been having low self-esteem and criticising myself more on my personality, thinking I'm too quiet and people don't want to talk to me or something like that, so I find that the HSC year would be just another year of me trying to work on my character and insecurities, not caring too much about other people (who I won't see much after school anyways) and looking for new hobbies/activities for me to enjoy as a break from study.

This is sort of a rambly post but overall I find the HSC annoying at times but valuable in a way that its character building, and by the end of the year I've finally finished that stage of my life and hopefully continue through to uni whilst working on myself along the way.

And it is true as well how others say that the HSC isn't the end and means nothing after school  ;)
Class of 2018

Subjects:
Chemistry | Biology | Economics | Advanced English | Advanced Maths | Extension Maths

"Always remember than you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else." ;)

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 09:39:47 pm »
+1
seeing how everyone responded I'll try to see the HSC in a different perspective... Of course my results haven't changed and my ability to understand contents haven't improved much (well the stress got the good of me)... but today at least I can manage to think more positively (it is hard and yes I force it).. of course try to chill and enjoy yr 12 (which is next to impossible anyway), and try to just focus on learning the content for now (again this post and words is somewhat forced)
2018 HSC: 4U maths, 3U maths, Standard English, Chemistry, Physics