Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:03:37 am

Author Topic: December/ January Holiday Period- What did you do?  (Read 2068 times)

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
December/ January Holiday Period- What did you do?
« on: December 15, 2019, 02:17:55 pm »
+1
Hey everyone, ;D

As the December and January holiday period has just started, I am curious as to what previous (or current) HSC students did during their holiday period and how they structured their study in order to get ahead of Term 1 next year, and how this lifted their grades. :D

Any advice is much appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
Re: December/ January Holiday Period- What did you do?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 02:40:26 pm »
+1
Hey everyone, ;D

As the December and January holiday period has just started, I am curious as to what previous (or current) HSC students did during their holiday period and how they structured their study in order to get ahead of Term 1 next year, and how this lifted their grades. :D

Thanks in advance,
Coolmate 8)
I actually didn't do that much 'study' per say.

I studied for Maths ext 1 and 2 because I had a really bad result in Term 1 for both of them. I went ahead and learnt some of the topics and did the hardest past paper questions I could find. This definitely lifted my marks and put them in the 90's further on.

As for my other subjects I really didn't do anything because really Maths is the only subject in the HSC that requires a high degree of problem solving which is a skill, something which no other subject has. Other subjects are just memorize and regurgitate content in different ways.

louisaaa01

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 04:46:02 pm »
+5
Hey everyone, ;D

Thanks in advance,
Coolmate 8)

Hey Coolmate,

Congratulations on getting through the first term of Year 12!

For me personally, as I had an exam block in the last two weeks of school, I spent the first two weeks of the holidays (up until New Year's) just relaxing. It's a good idea to spend a bit of time recovering from what was likely an intense term. Even though you might feel unproductive, it's worth it in the long run - you don't want to burn out before Term 2 even begins!

In saying this, I did spend a reasonable amount of time preparing for Term 1. On a general note, I'd really encourage you to revisit your assessment tasks (if completed already), look at the feedback and implement strategies for improvement. Aside from looking over assessments, preparing in this break can almost be separated into three steps; (1) ensure you understand all content learned, (2) practice said content, and (3) familiarise yourself with upcoming topics!

As I did relatively similar subjects to you, here are a couple subject-specific things that worked for me:

English Advanced: I made sure to get through my prescribed texts for Modules A, B and C in this break (I covered my Common Module prescribed text in the October holidays). Brief annotations but nothing major - it was just about familiarising myself with the plot, characters, etc. This may also be a good time to practice your writing on the Common Module - you can try drafting essay responses to sample questions, or even practice your short-answer skills.

Sciences (Physics and Chem in my case, I'd imagine that this would work for Bio too) - I had all my notes for the first modules we did finished before the Holidays, but if your notes aren't complete, try to finish them off. In regards to reading ahead, I found that my textbook was a little dense, so I used the ATAR Notes study guides - they were an easy read yet were brilliant in allowing me to understand what we would be covering in the next module. Excel books are also a great resource. Again, it's unfeasible to teach yourself the entire course in this break, but if you familiarise yourself with upcoming Module, come Term 1, you'll grasp it a bit faster and have more time for practice questions. On the note of practice questions, I found it useful to do questions specific to the modules I had just completed. HSC style questions are super helpful (the ATAR Notes topic tests are a really good resource here, as are the Excel and Strive books which have past + sample HSC questions!)

As well as this (and same goes for all subjects) it's not necessary to do tons of questions if you're finding them easy and/or repetitive - I found it useful to be selective, completing questions which I felt were harder / covered my weaker areas.

Maths: Very similar to the sciences, your number 1 priority is to iron out all wrinkles and make sure you understand everything. After this, to practice, attempt textbook or HSC style questions specific to the topics you've just completed (topic tests are great). For me, personally, as I had my MX2 HSC Task 1 almost as soon as the summer holidays ended, I used this time to study for this exam. If you don't have an exam, and have the time, though, you might want to read ahead on the next topic (ATAR Notes study guides are again perfect for an easy yet informative read!)

SOR I: Again, I had an exam in Week 2 Term 1 so most of my 'preparation' for SOR I in this break consisted of study for the exam. However, if you don't have an exam, it's useful to again ensure there aren't any gaps in your notes + knowledge, and then afterwards work on particularly Post-1945 5-markers and multiple choice practice. Doing an HSC or Trial Section I every now and then is a really good way to practice and it's not very time consuming either (once I practiced enough, I managed to complete a Section I in under 12 minutes)! My teacher was really great here in that our class was encouraged to consistently practice our writing and multiple choice. If you want, you could read ahead on your upcoming religious tradition depth study, but in my case, as I had an exam, I simply didn't have the time.

I also attended the ATAR Notes January lectures for most of my subjects. These were a really great way to get ahead for the next term - if you have the time, I encourage you to also look into them!

Now, you might be thinking, jeez Louis[a] (hehe), I'm gonna be locked in my room for the next 6 weeks! Well, while it may seem like a lot, if you pace yourself over an extended period of time, you won't have to study for hours per day. As well as this, quantity of study does not directly correspond to marks - I really encourage you to do as much as you see fit!

I hope this helps. Have a great holiday and good luck for Year 12!

« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 05:05:58 pm by louisaaa01 »
2019 ATAR: 99.95

2020 - 2026

USYD BSci / Doctor of Medicine

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 11:29:43 pm »
+8
Hey, Coolmate!

This is going to be slightly contradictory to what has already been said but I gave myself three weeks off to relax! I did a musical during this time so all I did was reading/rewatching my prescribed texts in between breaks and, like Louisa suggested, just use some sticky notes to bookmark important and interesting pages to get a small head start. It's a good idea to reflect on your first term of Year 12 in English and see where gaps in your knowledge might be. The Common Module does constitute to a whole paper so revising it and making sure you touch base with yourself is important  :)

As for my other subjects, I constructed checklists and timelines to help me better visualise how I wanted to approach the new year. This was particularly helpful for my major works and also motivated me to get started on them. You can do the same for your other subjects so you can save time on having to format notes, creating plans etc.

As for my other subjects I really didn't do anything because really Maths is the only subject in the HSC that requires a high degree of problem solving which is a skill, something which no other subject has. Other subjects are just memorize and regurgitate content in different ways.

While I agree that maths is definitely a challenging and rewarding subject, please just be mindful about the claim you're making here, or at least how it's worded. Other subjects also require problem solving and logic in their own ways and those that do them go beyond just memorising and regurgitating content. Music and VA are incredibly unpredictable and encourage spontaneous thinking in the HSC exams; being able to analyse and devise creative answers in response to abstract forms and questions is a kind of problem solving. With the new syllabuses for subjects like English, previous issues with memorisation are being actively combated with content and exam questions that encourage critical thinking and problem solving in its own form. Hope that sheds a bit of light on what those subjects may offer in terms of skills :) Your study experience is really inspiring and I definitely agree on focusing on whichever subject you might be struggling the most in to prepare for the term upcoming  ;D

If there's a particular subject you wanted advice on, do let us know. Hope that helps and congratulations for almost finishing your first term of the HSC!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 11:05:06 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 11:54:30 pm »
While I agree that maths is definitely a challenging and rewarding subject, please just be mindful about the claim you're making here, or at least how it's worded. Other subjects also require problem solving and logic in their own ways and those that do them go beyond just memorising and regurgitating content. Music and VA are incredibly unpredictable and encourage spontaneous thinking in the HSC exams; being able to analyse and devise creative answers in response to abstract forms and questions is a kind of problem solving. With the new syllabuses for subjects like English, previous issues with memorisation are being actively combated with content and exam questions that encourage critical thinking and problem solving in its own form. Hope that sheds a bit of light on what those subjects may offer in terms of skils :) Your study experience is really inspiring and I definitely agree on focusing on whichever subject you might be struggling the most in to prepare for the term upcoming  ;D
Well yes of course. I was under the assumption we weren't including those kind of creative subjects as coolmate isn't doing them. They definitely require a VERY large amount of skill but it is a different kind of skill. It's an artistic skill.

Subjects like those are on a different league of their own honestly and require a whole different type of skill that of course is very hard to master. So yes I forgot to mention what subjects I was talking about but I meant the stock standard subjects that most of us take that are just memorize and regurgitate.

To clarify subjects like:
Physics, Chem, Bio, SDD, English(old syllabus), IPT, etc, the standard a lot of which I did myself.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 11:58:39 pm by DrDusk »

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 09:15:09 am »
+9
Well yes of course. I was under the assumption we weren't including those kind of creative subjects as coolmate isn't doing them. They definitely require a VERY large amount of skill but it is a different kind of skill. It's an artistic skill.

Subjects like those are on a different league of their own honestly and require a whole different type of skill that of course is very hard to master. So yes I forgot to mention what subjects I was talking about but I meant the stock standard subjects that most of us take that are just memorize and regurgitate.

To clarify subjects like:
Physics, Chem, Bio, SDD, English(old syllabus), IPT, etc, the standard a lot of which I did myself.

Good that you’ve clarified what subjects you were referring to. Coolmate asked for general advice on study so again, it’s just being mindful of how things are expressed and what generalisations emerge from them as a result. Since I didn’t do those subjects, other than English, I won’t argue otherwise if you found memorisation to be the most effective method of study.

That being said, there are other ways to approach those stock standard subjects beyond that and with changing syllabuses, as well as the recent papers from some subjects such as Bio deviating from expected exam question outcomes, it’s worth encouraging many ways of studying and embracing a view that content should be explored and valued, rather than regurgitated. The students who did do those subjects in my school, and I was friends with a few of them, all agreed that the best teachers were the ones who actively engaged with the content, suggested how it would be applicable in real life and avoided memorisation and regurgitation as much as possible in their pedagogy. While yes there will always be a degree of that happening, I just think learning with a growth-oriented mindset is far more successful and rewarding. You’re welcome to disagree if you think otherwise  :)

Hey everyone, ;D

Thanks in advance,
Coolmate 8)

I also just remembered something else I did during this period! Where I felt I had gaps in my knowledge in any of my subjects, I watched a lot of YouTube videos, documentaries and listened to podcasts about them to revise my content. Since I was more of a visual/aural learner, I found this to be really effective and broadened my understanding beyond my teacher’s delivery. I’d highly recommend exploring alternative resources to complement your study and establish some solid ones that you feel will work best in the long term for your HSC journey  :) Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 10:27:54 am by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

lleeea

• Trendsetter
  • dont judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 03:36:49 pm »
+3
I got a 90+ atar and I did VCE year 12 this year
during the december/january holidays, i just chilled at home pretty much (i.e. watched tv, sleeped in, etc) and i also bought my books/stationary for year 12
-i then made and organised all the folders/books for my subjects, keeping 2 books for each subject (one to write notes and other for questions, etc) and then i like printed out the study design (or victorian version of "syllabus") and then highlighted key knowledge/information i will be expected to learn/know for each subject
-Then as i was pretty bored and didnt have any job as well, i started writing my notes. like i didnt like start full on studying, i just read through the book and started writing notes for two dot points each from the Study design every day and then like relaxed and kinda repeated that everyday. But for the most part, i relaxed. And by the end of the holidays and when year 12 was about to start, i was surprised to realise that i had finished most of my notes for Unit 3. So its a really good idea i think to get at least some of your notes started for your subjects before year 12 starts to relieve some of that workload and to get ahead from other students so while others are still writing notes you have finished your notes and can get headstart on doing practice questions and actually applying your knowledge. Remember VCE/HSC is a marathon, not a sprint, do little bit everyday and practice as much as you can. And ofc you dont need to sacrifice everything during HSC, you can get a 90+ atar even with relaxing every now and then and doing things u normally love to do, its just a matter of balancing and having a good mindset and work ethic.
Hope this was helpful

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 12:39:45 pm »
Sorry for a late reply but thankyou so much everyone for all of your advice/ tips/ help! :D

I really appreciate everyone's responses, and thanks louisaaa01 for listing the tips by subject, this was really great ;D

Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

sunbunbri

• Adventurer
  • 好好学习,天天向上!Study hard & you will improve!
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 08:35:44 am »
+2
Hey! Congrats on finishing term 1 :D proud of you!
Over my summer break during my HSC year I focused on 3 main things:
- my major works
- prescribed readings
- relaxing
As I took 4u English and society, my majors were an incredibly significant portion of my hsc and I dedicated about 3 hours each week during the summer break to each of my major works. I also spent probably 1-2 hours each week reading and making notes for my prescribed material for advanced and ext1 English as when I included the books I analysed for ext2, I had 13+ texts I needed to analyse for HSC English in total  :-X

All-in-all, I spent about 8-10 hours a week tops working on my studies. The rest of my time was spent relaxing, spending time with my family and indulging in activities I wouldn’t have the time for during the term :)
HSC 2019: Adv Eng (89), Ext Eng 1 (46), Ext Eng 2 (44), Modern History (86) Society & Culture (95), Chinese Continuers (89) & Chinese Ext (43).

ATAR:   94.30

2020: Bachelor of Education (secondary) & Bachelor of Arts - English & History @ USYD