Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 06:34:29 pm

Author Topic: Are attending lectures compulsory?  (Read 1197 times)  Share 

markkng12

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Are attending lectures compulsory?
« on: February 13, 2019, 06:45:58 pm »
I'm starting commerce this year, and the lecture times I got left with for my timetable were kinda eh. I heard that tutorial attendance and participation is compulsory and marked so you have to go, but is this the same with lectures? My commerce friends from last year told me they didn't go to any lectures, but I don't know how true this is. Also, if I do end up not going to lectures, would they all be recorded and posted online? Thanks

MB_

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Unspecified and mysterious
  • Respect: +60
Re: Are attending lectures compulsory?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 06:55:34 pm »
+5
I think there a select few subjects that may have lecture attendance but for the vast majority it is not compulsory.

Yes, all lectures are recorded although if the lecturer uses a whiteboard to demonstrate something, you will most likely not see it (although this isn't much of an issue).
2015-16: VCE
2017-: BSci UoM - Maths & Psych

guac

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 07:06:25 pm »
+3
If you still want to attend lectures in person but are put off by the lecture times that were allocated to you, you can just rock up to the other lecture times. No one cares. As MB_ said, there are only a few lectures (I think mostly for design subjects?) where the lecturer basically forces you to attend by putting up an in-lecture quiz that you can only complete if you're physically there.

And yes, it is totally possible to do well without going to any lectures, you just have to figure out what works for you.
Guac puts a maths tutor in your pocket.
Chat to a verified, high achieving tutor anytime, anywhere. Ask about anything, from homework problems to difficult concepts.

7 day free trial, no credit card needed so you can get asking instantly: guactutor.com

Only available on iPhones (Android and tablets are coming!)

markkng12

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 03:33:00 pm »
would it be fine to schedule a tute at the same time as a lecture if i'm planning on not going to the lecture or should i avoid doing this?

guac

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 07:06:52 pm »
+1
It's completely up to you, the university won't bother you about these kinds of things unless you start failing classes.

Before you decide to skip a lecture series, you should probably first go watch a few of them to make sure that physically being there won't be of help to you. Some lecturers have a really big 'presence' and are certainly worth going to watch irl, but for others there might not be much of a difference between physically attending and watching the lecture capture.
Guac puts a maths tutor in your pocket.
Chat to a verified, high achieving tutor anytime, anywhere. Ask about anything, from homework problems to difficult concepts.

7 day free trial, no credit card needed so you can get asking instantly: guactutor.com

Only available on iPhones (Android and tablets are coming!)