Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:51:20 pm

Author Topic: Psychoeducation  (Read 534 times)  Share 

lleeea

• Trendsetter
  • dont judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree
  • Respect: +6
Psychoeducation
« on: September 13, 2018, 10:42:15 pm »
heylo,
just wanted to ask what does it mean challenging anxious or unrealistic thoughts in the context of mental health?

sdfg

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +42
Re: Psychoeducation
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 08:08:04 am »
+3
Hey lleeea,

Excessively worrying about things when it isn't necessary and always thinking about the worst possible outcomes are common symptoms associated with mental disorders. They often result in an endless cycle of poorer and poorer mental health, and addressing/responding to them is usually the first step to breaking the cycle and by extension improving mental health. To challenge anxious thoughts, you could for example be saying to yourself: this isn't something I have to be worried about because there's no logical reason to be, and with unrealistic thoughts: this is never going to happen and my mind is just exaggerating things because it's worried.

For a specific example, social anxiety is a mental disorder where people are afraid of social situations out of fear of social judgement and involves thinking that every move they make is being watched and criticised (even though people probably don't care about them, let alone are being judgemental). Rumination (continually thinking about bad thoughts) and worrying about past social situations are also common. Both of these symptoms reinforce them self after each time (e.g if you continually think that people are judging you, you'll eventually go from people judge in me in some situations to people judge me in all situations) and end up leading to the anxiety becoming more severe and severe. Treatment with social anxiety begins by challenging these thought patterns by establishing them as unrealistic or unnecessary.

Hope that helps. :)     
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 04:31:14 pm by sdfg »
Psychology [45] | HHD [47]