Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 11:48:57 am

Author Topic: [GUIDE] Writing a fully sick and hektik essay  (Read 14798 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: [GUIDE] Writing a fully sick and hektik essay
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 07:09:18 pm »
+2
The end of Week 4 (correct?). Peak essay writing time. Bumping for relevance.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

sdfg

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 10:45:41 am »
+1
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I have a few questions (first uni essay ever and really confused!!):

- Is it a strict requirement to write in passive voice? I'm talking in terms of a linguistics essay if that matters.
- Are markers looking for original arguments with primary source material, or water tight argument that shows detailed understanding?
- Any more tips other than the ones already provided?

Thanks heaps for all help.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 10:48:39 am by sdfg »
Psychology [45] | HHD [47]

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 10:59:50 am »
+1
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I have a few questions (first uni essay ever and really confused!!):

- Is it a strict requirement to write in passive voice? I'm talking in terms of a linguistics essay if that matters.
- Are markers looking for original arguments with primary source material, or water tight argument that shows detailed understanding?
- Any more tips other than the ones already provided?

Thanks heaps for all help.  ;D ;D

Hey, no worries. :) My thoughts:

1. No, I don't think it's a strict requirement to write in passive voice, but this is very context-dependent.
2. Depends on the particular assessment! Is it a lit review? A piece of original work? A report? I'd say in general it's best to cover both bases.

Obviously this isn't a very helpful response haha, but I'm more than happy to give more thoughts if more context is provided. You say it's a linguistics essay, but there are a bunch of different types!

sdfg

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 11:16:25 am »
Hey, no worries. :) My thoughts:

1. No, I don't think it's a strict requirement to write in passive voice, but this is very context-dependent.
2. Depends on the particular assessment! Is it a lit review? A piece of original work? A report? I'd say in general it's best to cover both bases.

Obviously this isn't a very helpful response haha, but I'm more than happy to give more thoughts if more context is provided. You say it's a linguistics essay, but there are a bunch of different types!

Thanks for the clarification! And with regards to essay type, I guess an original work? (don't know if this is the correct descriptor - always thought uni essays were all the same thing :P - but we basically have to formulate an argument and argue it) We've been given a range of essay questions to choose from, and and the one I chose focuses on the relationship between language and power.

Also, what do mean by writing in passive voice being "context dependent"? Like, does it depend on the topic you're talking about (e.g very conceptual topics it would makes sense in write in passive, whereas in others that discuss the effects of something, active would be more appropriate) or whatever one floats your marker's boat? 

Edit: I have another question if you don't mind: which is better (in terms of workload and easiness) - broad or narrow essay questions?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 11:53:43 am by sdfg »
Psychology [45] | HHD [47]

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 11:35:48 am »
+1
Thanks for the clarification! And with regards to essay type, I guess an original work? (don't know if this is the correct descriptor - always thought uni essays were all the same thing :P - but we basically have to formulate an argument and argue it) We've been given a range of essay questions to choose from, and and the one I chose focuses on the relationship between language and power.

Also, what do mean by writing in passive voice being "context dependent"? Like, does it depend on the topic you're talking about (e.g very conceptual topics it would makes sense in write in passive, whereas in others that discuss the effects of something, active would be more appropriate) or whatever one floats your marker's boat? 

Edit: I have another question if you don't mind: which is better (in terms of workload and easiness) - broad or narrow essay questions?

Hey, sorry for the late reply. My thoughts:

* University essays definitely aren't all the same thing - in fact, they vary very greatly! Even within areas of study (so like, Linguistics, which is within the school of Languages, Literatures, Cultures and Linguistics, which is in the Faculty of Arts etc.), essays can differ a lot. Perhaps even within individual units!

* Sounds like a cool essay topic. :)

* I can't see why it would be a strict requirement to use passive voice for such an essay. I think just whatever flows more appropriately would be suitable. This is what I meant by "context-dependent" - not so much the content matter, but just the way in which you write. There's no inherently better way of writing in terms of active/passive, I don't think, although I personally find continued passive to be grating.

* Better in workload? Hard to answer, and honestly I don't think there is an answer to this. Narrow is good because you have specificity; broad is good because you have possibility. Seems a very personal thing to me!