Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 07:18:34 pm

Author Topic: I'm scared of Business/Commercial Law @ Monash Uni  (Read 11951 times)  Share 

costargh

I'm scared of Business/Commercial Law @ Monash Uni
« on: February 10, 2009, 09:19:25 pm »
From all reports its really hard to score very well on BT_1010 or whatever it is (like at Clayton or Caulfield).

For anyone who's done it can you shed some light on the subject?

Also what mark did you receive?

ReVeL

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
Re: I'm scared of Business/Commercial Law @ Monash Uni
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 09:26:15 pm »
I also feel this way toward Business Law... From everything I've heard it sounds like a complete bitch, with lots of memorising little details.

Someone say it's not that hard!
||  2008 VCE Graduate  ||  BCom @ UoM [Accounting & Finance Majors] - Completing 3rd year  ||

costargh

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 09:27:14 pm »
Isn't the exam open book?

ReVeL

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 09:31:09 pm »
Isn't the exam open book?

Hah didn't know that! Thats a little reasurring. Would be interesting to find out what people thought was hard about it though, as I've got it semester 1 this year.
||  2008 VCE Graduate  ||  BCom @ UoM [Accounting & Finance Majors] - Completing 3rd year  ||

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 10:00:28 pm »
eh i dont know but i heard from friends thats it really hard...lol
http://www.campaignforliberty.com

Completed Bachelor of Science. Majored in Immunology and Microbiology.

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

“The bigger the lie, the more inclined people will be to believe it”
Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just

RD

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 10:23:18 pm »
Damn I got it this semester =S.. not looking forward to it

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 10:25:01 pm »
eh i dont know but i heard from friends thats it really hard...lol

omg. I'm dead. Why the hell did they make BTF1010 compulsory when it's difficult. Weridos. :(

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F

icedark

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 12:12:40 pm »
ARGH I've got this first semester too..  :(
VET Multimedia | English | Business Management | Further Maths | International Studies | Media  94.60

'09: Bachelor of Business (Marketing) - Monash University Caulfield

rhcpfox1

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 12:57:54 pm »
I did BTC1110 last semester, did the minimum amount of work (only doing it because it was compulsory), and passed OK with a low credit.
The concepts are relatively easy to grasp, but there is a lot of reading, heaps of cases to remember (I probably could recall 5 of about 100 we were 'expected' to know some detail about) and the major essay was a total pain.

It's not impossible, in fact I think it's relatively hard to fail if you do the required readings and attend all the lectures, just make sure you stay on top of the readings or it can quickly snowball.

As for the exam, it is open book, and it's 3.5 hours, 30 mins of that being 'noting' time, where you can start to draft your answers. I relied on the exam being open book to pass but I did summaries of every chapter and pertinent cases, if you just take the textbook in you can waste a lot of time flicking through trying to find the right material (it's good to take in as a backup though - I used it when I didn't have any relevant cases in my summaries)

If you're doing it at Clayton, Roger Gamble is great lecturer, and makes the material really interesting so it doesn't seem like such a chore.

Good luck!

(P.S. I still have my Law in Commerce 3rd edition by sweeney and o'reilly textbook available - essentially unused $50 - PM me if interested)
quot;I only play Pac-Man and that car-jack game, there's nothing like scoring a caddy and mowing down street-hoes" - Dr.Kelso

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 01:41:35 pm »
Wow. It seems like f**** VCE English all over again. :(

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 02:01:05 pm »
Wow. It seems like f**** VCE English all over again. :(

Except its open book.
I did BTC1110 last semester, did the minimum amount of work (only doing it because it was compulsory), and passed OK with a low credit.
The concepts are relatively easy to grasp, but there is a lot of reading, heaps of cases to remember (I probably could recall 5 of about 100 we were 'expected' to know some detail about) and the major essay was a total pain.

It's not impossible, in fact I think it's relatively hard to fail if you do the required readings and attend all the lectures, just make sure you stay on top of the readings or it can quickly snowball.

As for the exam, it is open book, and it's 3.5 hours, 30 mins of that being 'noting' time, where you can start to draft your answers. I relied on the exam being open book to pass but I did summaries of every chapter and pertinent cases, if you just take the textbook in you can waste a lot of time flicking through trying to find the right material (it's good to take in as a backup though - I used it when I didn't have any relevant cases in my summaries)

If you're doing it at Clayton, Roger Gamble is great lecturer, and makes the material really interesting so it doesn't seem like such a chore.

Good luck!

(P.S. I still have my Law in Commerce 3rd edition by sweeney and o'reilly textbook available - essentially unused $50 - PM me if interested)

I did BTC1110 last year as well. I'll probably echo these comments. I'd suggest you make your notes earlier and at least are aware of the abstract of each of the cases you might need to refer to so that you don't need to flick around and read in the exam (there's not enough time for this).

excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

costargh

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 04:10:31 pm »
Is it unheard of for people go get say ... over 70?

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 04:14:29 pm »

Jo got 67, I got 68.

Roger and Matthews are good lecturers (Clayton).
Sit somewhere in the middle if u don't want Matthews 2 pick on u tho - he asks all the ppl @ the front, and sometimes he gets every1 @ the back 2 move 2 the front coz they're so far away.
I didn't mind sitting mid to front tho, I did the pre-reading coz I knew Matthews would keep me on my toes XD
Oh, and try not 2 b late - Matthews is 1 of those lecturers that really doesn't put up with it.

As for my crappy result... the exam is worth 70%, and I fked up the exam.
I have my reasons, but I srsly walked out of that exam thinking that I'd failed it.
The hardest part about it is that if u fail the exam (<45%), u fail the unit.
But u guyz know from VCE that it's the same thing - a fked up exam -> fked up SS even if u're a master @ the subject.

As 4 the subject itself: I LOVED IT!!!!!!
It's a great way to introduce commerce/business students to the realm of law, and u pick up a lot of things that can help u with everyday issues.
Also, u'll b able 2 make smart-sounding posts like this. XD :D :D

So long as u stay on top of the reading, u'll b right.

Jst make sure u summarise each chapter as u go along, and make a little thingy with important cases, a few key words to trigger the memory, and the p. number in the txtbook.
Also, make a few flowcharts like the 1s in the end of some of the chapters, but more detailed.
Like - I put relevant cases to answer the 'yes'/'no' Qs, and I put in a few of the more obscure, less straight forward points of law on there that they don't include in the txtbook 1.

The exam IS open-book, but as Matthews said: The minute you open your book, you've failed.
While I disagree with this (he was obviously jst going 2 the extreme 2 scare ppl in2 studying), u really don't have the time 2 spare 2 b flicking thru the txtbook 2 find relevant cases.
I used some of my own notes, and colour-coded tabs in my txtbook for quick reference.

I'm not gonna sugar-coat it: this unit is more difficult than most 1st year units, and it has a higher fail rate.
U'll get told the exact same thing during ur 1st week by ur lecturer/tutor.

BUT, in saying that... the ppl that fail do so simply because they don't do the work - none of the pre-reading, or summaries, or anything.
This unit isn't 1 of those that u can cram 4 right b4 the exam and expect to pass (unlike MGC1010 XD)

However, the ppl I'm talking to here: Costa, revel, RD, Prav, icedark, TrueLight(?)... I don't believe u guyz r like that.
Be consistent thruout the semester, and I'm certain u'll all do fine :)

I was worried about this unit when I started it 2, and Jo spent ages consoling me (AGES XD).
It was a confidence issue with me (kinda scared like u guyz), but he was right and I did well.
I'm better @ this subject than my results suggest, so if u guyz need any help then plz jst ask :)

And remember, there's gonna b plenty of ppl 2 ask 4 help if u need it: Tutors, friends, classmates, some of us VNers, and the Help-Desk.
Also, Roger and Matthews r pretty happy 2 answer a few quick Qs or clarify things after a lecture if u don't get something - I asked them plenty of times thruout semester.

Jst some general advice:

1st week of classes u guys WILL feel overwhelmed - u get ur unit outlines with all the assignments and the lecturers all get straight in2 it.
It's only natural; there's so much 2 get used 2 so quickly - finding rooms, new freedoms, new campus, uni life, new friends, different styles of teaching, the ridiculous price of food...
But please just remember that there r SO many ppl in the same boat as u - I imagine most of the ppl in ur 1st year compulsory units will also b new.

U aren't alone.

Like, I'm still so nervous about going back!!
I'm going to start learning a new language ffs ...I'm so excited and scared @ the same time.
Monash attracts a lot of interesting and brilliant minds - I know there r going 2 b ppl in my classes who r smarter than me.
But I can only do my v. best, and that's wot I'll do.

U guys r the same - give it ur best and fk any1 who says otherwise.
U've all been given an amazing opportunity, and I sincerely hope that excitement eliminates any room for doubt.

Trust me - it'll all work out in the end.
You'll see :)
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

costargh

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 04:20:53 pm »
Wow
Thanks Fyrefly
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:42:44 am by Fyrefly »

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend