Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:00:15 pm

Author Topic: Business Management vs Accounting ?  (Read 20848 times)  Share 

Mr Keshy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Get in my Beamer Benz or Bentley
  • Respect: +68
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Business Management vs Accounting ?
« on: September 17, 2012, 06:38:56 pm »
Hey all,

I'm reconsidering what I put down for my subjects for year 12 next year. One of them is whether I should do Business Management or Accounting... I'm doing both in year 11 now, I find that I am ranked higher in my Business Management class than Accounting (but still fairly high in accounting too)...

I chose accounting first because I like the idea of it being more 'mathmatical' in that there is either a right or wrong entry, where as in Busman, there's a lot of explaining to do and a higher possibility to lose marks.

I enjoy both subjects, although I do enjoy business a bit more because of the less mathmatical side of it (will be doing methods, spec and chem).

One of the main reasons I chose accounting over business was the scaling and the perception that easy loss of marks and those marks hitting your score hard.

Would the fact that I enjoy Business Management more be an answer to my own question.

I think quite a few people may be in the same situation as myself and am in search of some past and present students and their opinions. These two subject are more or less just to boost my atar.. Not a prereq.

I'm thinking about going along the roots of commerce too.

What do you think? Which is easier? Which is best?

Thanks!!
Please... Call me Kesh

Subjects

English, Physics, Chemistry, Methods, Further, Business

nisha

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hum Honge Kamyab.
  • Respect: +117
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Business Management vs Accounting ?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 06:42:24 pm »

Would the fact that I enjoy Business Management more be an answer to my own question.

Yes. Definitely do what you enjoy, you will be more passionate to study for it, when it really counts.
Don't look at the scaling when making your decision.
Melbourne University-Science-Second year

Am taking in students for CHEMISTRY and MATHS METHODS tuition for 2014 as well as first year chemistry. If interested, pm me. Flexible with location.

"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught [/i]

abcdqdxD

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +57
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 07:04:32 pm »
+1
The Accounting exam is ~33% theory, and believe me, it is quite easy to lose marks here and there.

You should probably consider which subject you enjoy more, as this what motivates you to do well in year 12.

There is no 'easier' subject here. Business management will get scaled down, from around 43-->40. Accounting is normally +1 if you get over 30.

One of my friends got 42 raw, and only ended up with a 39. So what I'm saying is, do not underestimate BM. It is as equally hard to do well in BM as it is in Accounting (that's what scaling is for.)

Although I don't do BM personally, I am told that BM is quite a dry and boring subject, so maybe Accounting would be a better option?

But really, pick the subject you enjoy the most - it's likely you'll do better in it.

Mr Keshy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 07:40:23 pm »

Yes. Definitely do what you enjoy, you will be more passionate to study for it, when it really counts.
Don't look at the scaling when making your decision.

Thanks for that, I'm leaning towards that as well. I find I'm liking Busman more because it certainly seems more real life valuable for me as I would like to start my own business one day. I find a lot of the year 11 course to contain a lot of questions of common sense, I hardly did revision for my last SAC and get A's

The Accounting exam is ~33% theory, and believe me, it is quite easy to lose marks here and there.

You should probably consider which subject you enjoy more, as this what motivates you to do well in year 12.

There is no 'easier' subject here. Business management will get scaled down, from around 43-->40. Accounting is normally +1 if you get over 30.

One of my friends got 42 raw, and only ended up with a 39. So what I'm saying is, do not underestimate BM. It is as equally hard to do well in BM as it is in Accounting (that's what scaling is for.)

Although I don't do BM personally, I am told that BM is quite a dry and boring subject, so maybe Accounting would be a better option?

But really, pick the subject you enjoy the most - it's likely you'll do better in it.

Thanks mate,

I've also been advised by my co-ordinator to avoid thinking about scaling too.

I think I'm set on Busman, but am trying to convince myself to do accounting purely because of scaling..

Should class ranking play a role in my decision as well? I've heard that ranking in the cohort plays a fairly major role in your final study score.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 07:47:29 pm by Kesh »
Please... Call me Kesh

Subjects

nisha

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hum Honge Kamyab.
  • Respect: +117
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 07:46:00 pm »
+1
Class ranking plays a heavy role for your Sacs.

I did Spesh for the scaling. Yea, I love maths, but I'm not a 'OMFG I AM GOING TO DO MATHS ALL DAY BECAUSE IT IS SO INSANELY INTERESTING' and I am very slow with picking up the concepts-> which results me having to spend hours and hours of more time grasping the concepts and applying them. I force myself to study for it now. At the start of the year, all I would do is complain about it...and that didn't help. Do what you enjoy.

On the other hand, VCE PHYSICS 1/2 was amazing and I enjoyed it. Come 3/4, I'm completely and utterly over the subject. Its so incredibly dry, and I'm not getting the bigger picture of it all. Bottom line: Even positive feelings towards subjects can change. Keep that in mind.
Melbourne University-Science-Second year

Am taking in students for CHEMISTRY and MATHS METHODS tuition for 2014 as well as first year chemistry. If interested, pm me. Flexible with location.

"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught [/i]

Mr Keshy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 07:52:39 pm »
Class ranking plays a heavy role for your Sacs.

I did Spesh for the scaling. Yea, I love maths, but I'm not a 'OMFG I AM GOING TO DO MATHS ALL DAY BECAUSE IT IS SO INSANELY INTERESTING' and I am very slow with picking up the concepts-> which results me having to spend hours and hours of more time grasping the concepts and applying them. I force myself to study for it now. At the start of the year, all I would do is complain about it...and that didn't help. Do what you enjoy.

On the other hand, VCE PHYSICS 1/2 was amazing and I enjoyed it. Come 3/4, I'm completely and utterly over the subject. Its so incredibly dry, and I'm not getting the bigger picture of it all. Bottom line: Even positive feelings towards subjects can change. Keep that in mind.

I'm finding this a huge problem too, I have given up on physics (see sig haha), incredibly boring to the point where I just do not care anymore. Just knowing I have physics the next day really drops my mood, very frustrating. I sort of act like I'll do 5 subjects, just forget physics and all..

Funny enough, Physics as a whole is one of my most favourite things among the world, incredible how this course manages to make me feel this way... But that's for another thread.

I think if I do subjects I like, I'll have a positive outlook on school and want to learn, I love all of my other subject and enjoy and love studying and learning about them.

I think Business Management is the way!
Please... Call me Kesh

Subjects

abcdqdxD

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +57
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 08:17:04 pm »
Yeah, the aim of scaling is to make sure students are not penalised for doing 'harder' subjects such as spesh.

i.e. getting 40 in spesh is not the same as 40 in accounting, because spesh is obviously harder and more competitive.

Scaling shouldn't be the reason for choosing a subject, but it is useful to keep it in the back of your mind, because at the end of the day, it can play a major role in determining your final study score.

Don't do accounting if you don't like it, i.e. I'm switching chem to further because chem just doesn't interest me (even though it scales down).

The best thing to do is to speak to your BM/Acc teachers, and listen to their opinion as they know your capabilities better than anyone else.

Mr Keshy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 08:32:30 pm »
Yeah, the aim of scaling is to make sure students are not penalised for doing 'harder' subjects such as spesh.

i.e. getting 40 in spesh is not the same as 40 in accounting, because spesh is obviously harder and more competitive.

Scaling shouldn't be the reason for choosing a subject, but it is useful to keep it in the back of your mind, because at the end of the day, it can play a major role in determining your final study score.

Don't do accounting if you don't like it, i.e. I'm switching chem to further because chem just doesn't interest me (even though it scales down).

The best thing to do is to speak to your BM/Acc teachers, and listen to their opinion as they know your capabilities better than anyone else.

I've spoken to both teachers, I perform pretty much the same but am a higher rank in the BM cohort. Both teachers have told me to do which ever subject I enjoy the most.
Please... Call me Kesh

Subjects

sam.utute

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Connecturer.
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 08:39:46 pm »
Bear in mind that the Accounting study design is changing next year (no mid-year exams), whereas Bus Man should remain the same.

As per everyone else, do what you enjoy. Bus Man in Year 12 is fairly dry, but quite straightforward (potentially interesting depending on how good your teacher is).

Mr Keshy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 09:51:27 pm »
Bear in mind that the Accounting study design is changing next year (no mid-year exams), whereas Bus Man should remain the same.

As per everyone else, do what you enjoy. Bus Man in Year 12 is fairly dry, but quite straightforward (potentially interesting depending on how good your teacher is).

Aren't all the mid years going to be abolished??
Please... Call me Kesh

Subjects

sam.utute

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Connecturer.
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 10:16:26 pm »
+1
Yeah, all mid-years will be gone next year.
However, as Bus Man doesn't have a mid-year exam, the study design doesn't have to change. This just means there'll be more practice exams and study guides available for it.
The difficultly level in the first year of a study design (especially when there's been a big change) can be quite volatile, as the assessors are "trying it out".
With Bus Man, you know what the exam will be like, you'll be able to gauge the difficulty level from previous years.

Mr Keshy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 06:11:34 am »
Yeah, all mid-years will be gone next year.
However, as Bus Man doesn't have a mid-year exam, the study design doesn't have to change. This just means there'll be more practice exams and study guides available for it.
The difficultly level in the first year of a study design (especially when there's been a big change) can be quite volatile, as the assessors are "trying it out".
With Bus Man, you know what the exam will be like, you'll be able to gauge the difficulty level from previous years.

Ahhh yeah, I just remembered that bus man doesn't have mid years. :/
Please... Call me Kesh

Subjects