Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:36:02 am

Author Topic: Should I Skip General Maths?  (Read 1828 times)  Share 

SS1314

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +18
Should I Skip General Maths?
« on: October 14, 2019, 11:29:04 am »
Hello,

I am currently in year 10 undertaking Maths Methods 1/2 and Biology 1/2 this year (averaging 80%+ on SACs). I want to do Further Maths for VCE as a 6th subject, however I want  to skip General so I can have 1 period free next year to do some homework. Would this be recommended? My Methods teacher told the class that General is not required for Further as it is "too easy". What would you guys advise me to do?

Thank you
2021: English, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Physics [50]

Offering 2022 head start classes (PM for details)

SS1314

• Trendsetter
Re: Should I Skip General Maths?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 06:55:22 pm »
Anyone?

alanihale

• Forum Regular
  • i still haven't taken my L's yet :(
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 07:04:22 pm »
+1
My Methods teacher told the class that General is not required for Further as it is "too easy". What would you guys advise me to do?
A lot of kids who accelerate in further don't usually do general maths. The course is definitely doable without it. Ultimately, if you're comfortable with maths there's no need to do general. (this is based on my experience and opinions may differ from person to person)
Hope this helped!
2018 - Further Maths [44]
2019 - English [45] | Spesh [hahaha] | Methods [40] | Chem [41] | Bio [40]
Atar: 98.55

Bachelor of Dental Science (Honours) @ La Trobe

---
'Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard'

zuijinde

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 07:46:10 pm »
+1
I jumped into Further Maths 3/4 without doing general.
From my experience, you definitely don't need general maths, but do expect that in the beginning, you will need to put a bit of effort to study it.

SS1314

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 09:23:22 pm »
A lot of kids who accelerate in further don't usually do general maths. The course is definitely doable without it. Ultimately, if you're comfortable with maths there's no need to do general. (this is based on my experience and opinions may differ from person to person)
Hope this helped!

Thank you for the reply :)

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 09:38:31 pm »
My Methods teacher told the class that General is not required for Further as it is "too easy". What would you guys advise me to do?

It's not required but it's recommended as the same concepts that are taught in General are touched on and explored more in depth in Further.

Personally I think the quoted text above is a load of rubbish and this is poor from your teacher - you do what you think is right. A good teacher would have explained to you what i've just told you about the fact that while you'd probably be able to skip it, perhaps doing it might be good for you to learn the concepts as a practice run before Further to maximise your achievement..... if you can't find a subject you really want to do to fill that slot next year I reckon give it a go. Methods and Further teach two completely different streams of mathematics and are catered to different people. Just because you're good at one doesn't necessarily mean you'll be good at the other. Perhaps there's a strengthened capacity, but that's about it.

We can talk all day about the subjective notion of 'ease' in Further but to do well in Further you'd want to be fantastic at not making mistakes.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 09:40:56 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

SS1314

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 09:54:19 pm »
It's not required but it's recommended as the same concepts that are taught in General are touched on and explored more in depth in Further.

Personally I think the quoted text above is a load of rubbish and this is poor from your teacher - you do what you think is right. A good teacher would have explained to you what i've just told you about the fact that while you'd probably be able to skip it, perhaps doing it might be good for you to learn the concepts as a practice run before Further to maximise your achievement..... if you can't find a subject you really want to do to fill that slot next year I reckon give it a go. Methods and Further teach two completely different streams of mathematics and are catered to different people. Just because you're good at one doesn't necessarily mean you'll be good at the other. Perhaps there's a strengthened capacity, but that's about it.

We can talk all day about the subjective notion of 'ease' in Further but to do well in Further you'd want to be fantastic at not making mistakes.

I am not really aiming too high for Further, a 30 SS would be fine. Tdh the only reason I have decided to do Further as a 6th VCE subject is because I want to be able to do 2 3/4s in year 11 (Bio and Methods). It is school policy that every student must do at least 4 VCE subjects IN year 12.

SS1314

• Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 10:49:21 pm »
I jumped into Further Maths 3/4 without doing general.
From my experience, you definitely don't need general maths, but do expect that in the beginning, you will need to put a bit of effort to study it.

In Further 3/4, are General concepts retaught? Or do I have to catchup over the holidays?