Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:59:01 am

Author Topic: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION  (Read 378473 times)  Share 

mi-xao-14

• Forum Obsessive
  • GO BEYOND!!!! PLUS ULTRA!!!!
  • Respect: +32
JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION
« on: November 25, 2017, 09:11:38 pm »
+26
Hey guys, I know that I have created this forum really early (I anticipate a lot. XD), but I just felt like doing it now. Anyway, welcome to the 'JMSS Year 10 Entrance Exam 2019 Discussion'! I decided to create this to help you guys prepare for your exam, which should be in early June, as I went for it this year (unfortunately I didn't get in, but I was very close). I suggest you guys preparing for the exam maybe now. Don't be like me because I didn't study for it until early May... (I didn't think I would go for it, so... Hehehe....) In case you guys are curious, the exam format goes like this: 

Science Reasoning: 30 questions / 30 minutes- Apply your scientific knowledge and logic to the test. It's like verbal reasoning, but it obviously has got to do with science. It's like the ICAS test. 

Numerical Reasoning: 60 questions / 30 minutes- For those who went for the selective high school entrance exam this year, it's similar to that. It has maths problems, and there are problems that require logic.  

Mathematics: 60 questions / 30 minutes- It's also very similar to the selective high school entry exam. (It's actually easier than in the other exam as you're able to work out answers quickly). 

Essay 1: 5 minutes reading / 25 minutes writing- It's a science prac, but for this year, you only need to write a discussion by answering the questions. Be sure to draw the diagram, although it doesn't tell you to do that. You also need to know dependent, independent and control variables as one of the questions will ask you to mention them (I got mixed up between dependent and independent). 

Essay 2: 5 minutes reading / 25 minutes writing- You're given some info to write in your essay. Try including them as many given info as possible. I think you can apply your knowledge to your essay because I did that. Usually, the topic is based on biology. For example, this year we wrote about Port Phillip Bay's water quality (I don't think I did well on it. I forgot to email JMSS for my report, so I don't know). There were facts about Port Phillip Bay, water qualities of some Victorian beaches, how Port Phillip Bay's water contamination affects other rivers / lakes / beaches etc., pollutions in Port Phillip Bay, etc... 

Please feel free to ask me (and other experienced exam candidates as they will probably jump to this forum) any questions. I hope that I will be on this forum often, but I cannot guarantee that I will. I do apologise if I don't answer your questions on time. Anyway, happy discussion! :D

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
  • Respect: +20
Re: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 09:49:08 pm »
+4
Please feel free to ask me (and other experienced exam candidates as they will probably jump to this forum) any questions. I hope that I will be on this forum often, but I cannot guarantee that I will. I do apologise if I don't answer your questions on time. Anyway, happy discussion! :D
I second this. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me as well. I'm usually active on AN and I'll be going to JMSS in 2018.
When faced with a problem, you either find a way or an excuse.

DiamondEyes

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 10:15:11 pm »
+5
Hi all. I'm also starting at JMSS next year, and I'm willing to help out with any questions you may have. I'm not very active on here, but I'l do my best to answer your questions.

_jen_012.x

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 03:21:15 pm »
Hi everyone! I've been reading the 2018 chat a lot throughout the year and I congratulate everyone who has gotten entry into the school! I'm in year 8 and while I'm thinking of doing tutoring for 2 months just before the exam I really want to do most of the studying myself. I forgot to take the entry exam this year LOL but know two friends who have gotten into Mac.Rob and Suzanne this year. What material should I study?
class of 21’

subjects: glopol (2020) english economics philosophy further

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 04:01:59 pm »
+3
Hi everyone! I've been reading the 2018 chat a lot throughout the year and I congratulate everyone who has gotten entry into the school! I'm in year 8 and while I'm thinking of doing tutoring for 2 months just before the exam I really want to do most of the studying myself. I forgot to take the entry exam this year LOL but know two friends who have gotten into Mac.Rob and Suzanne this year. What material should I study?

Regarding the tutoring, it really depends. I personally didn't do James Ann tutoring or anything that trained you for the JMSS exam. You should be fine if you just self-study, but I would also recommend doing practice exams and writing short essays under timed conditions. James Ann pretty much just trains you work fast under time and the work they give you is way beyond the level of difficulty of the real exams.

mi-xao gave a good overview of the 5 exams, but I'll add on. I would recommend focusing on numerical reasoning and mathematics (the other 3 don't require a lot of prior knowledge). I mainly remember these topics from the maths test:
• Quadratics
• Factorising
• Expanding
• Null factor law
• Algebra
• Pythagoras
• SOH, CAH, TOA
• Indices

Numerical Reasoning: Know how to do patterns, algebra, sequences, ratios.
Science Reasoning: Think logically and know how to read graphs. You seriously don't need to have a lot of prior knowledge to do well for this test.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 04:04:57 pm by Shadestache »

_jen_012.x

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 10:42:08 pm »
I'm thinking of buying a few different year 9,10 workbooks for maths. I'm pretty good at science as a whole but for maths some of the contents you said that are covered on the test I haven't really studied before.
class of 21’

GMT. -_-

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 12:40:01 am »
I'm thinking of buying a few different year 9,10 workbooks for maths. I'm pretty good at science as a whole but for maths some of the contents you said that are covered on the test I haven't really studied before.
I could send you some pdfs if you want, just pm me, I could even send you some chapters from Methods if you wish, that are related to what Shadestache has mentioned. ( You could also pm Shadestache for any maths you need assistance with as that person has always demonstrated an excellent proficiency in mathematics.) :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 12:44:34 am by GMT. -_- »

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 02:24:49 pm »
hello! :) I would recommend that if you really feel you need to, do tutoring a bit before the exam. I did it for two terms. In terms of content, it didn't really help much but it really improved my time management. Good luck to everyone next year !!
2019 -Biology
2020- Chem, Methods, Spec, English and Literature

DiamondEyes

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 04:44:12 pm »

Personally, I think if you're doing well currently then you don't really need to do any form of tutoring or special preparation for the exam. Just know the year 8 and 9 content well enough that you feel comfortable. I myself just decided to read over the year 9 textbooks despite being encouraged to properly prepare, basically winged the exam, and got in. Just goes to show that you don't need to go to extreme measures in preparing. Of course extra stuff won't hurt, but just don't burn yourself out.

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 04:56:04 pm »
basically winged the exam, and got in. Just goes to show that you don't need to go to extreme measures in preparing. Of course extra stuff won't hurt, but just don't burn yourself out.
AHAHAH. Yeah, I was one of those kids that tryharded for the test. You seriously don't need to. The test was a lot easier than I expected and I regret trying so hard.

_jen_012.x

• Forum Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 11:15:37 pm »
Can anyone send me links to numerical reasoning practice tests? or just maths pdfs for the units covered on th test  :D  I want to be able to do calculations quicker for the test :)
class of 21’

jz27

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 07:19:36 am »
Google ;D
2020: Chinese SLA [34-> ~43]
2021 (raw): English [42] Spesh [43] Methods [45] Chem [40] Physics [41]

ATAR: 99.30
UCAT: 3240 (99th)
Studying Medicine at Monash University

Currently taking students for 2023 selective school entry exam, email [email protected] for more details

Running a free selective schools information session on the 17th of July. Email for more details!

begirodos18

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 10:57:04 am »
+2
So everyone trying out for JMSS next yr, just for your reference 940 ppl sit the test 450 are interviewed and 200 ppl are offered a place.

Kiririn

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 08:56:07 pm »
+1
Is the interview really hard?

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 09:14:38 pm »
+1
Is the interview really hard?
Depends on who you are. The interview stage is probably the toughest stage because the competition gets a lot more intense. Just make sure that you're friendly and confident, and also practice answering interview questions. If you can, try to have extra-curriculars in your resume. It increases your chances because you demonstrate abilities beyond academia, so it looks and sounds impressive.