Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:56:43 pm

Author Topic: Module 3 - Malaria case study help!  (Read 1543 times)  Share 

Stringy

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Module 3 - Malaria case study help!
« on: May 08, 2018, 11:10:57 pm »
Hey guys,

For our term 3 assessment, we are to create a poster (30 marks) that relates to malaria, with 7 areas to adress;
• Cause
• Mode of Transmission
• Host Response
• Symptoms
• Treatment
• Control
• Prevention

Unfortunatley I cant find much information at all on the "Host Response" section, it asks us to; "Explain the hosts immune response to a malarial infection detailing the specific role of antibodies and T cells in the humane defence system (3marks)

Is there anyone who knows any articles or websites that has any information on a host respone that relates to malaria? (In terms of the role of antibodies ect)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: Module 3 - Malaria case study help!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 02:47:39 pm »
Hey guys,

For our term 3 assessment, we are to create a poster (30 marks) that relates to malaria, with 7 areas to adress;
• Cause
• Mode of Transmission
• Host Response
• Symptoms
• Treatment
• Control
• Prevention

Unfortunatley I cant find much information at all on the "Host Response" section, it asks us to; "Explain the hosts immune response to a malarial infection detailing the specific role of antibodies and T cells in the humane defence system (3marks)

Is there anyone who knows any articles or websites that has any information on a host respone that relates to malaria? (In terms of the role of antibodies ect)

Hey! Love the way you’ve asked this question. Shows you’re really thinking about it.

If you google “malaria immune system” you’ll see a lot of scholarly articles about how malaria evades the immune system. These will be difficult to read, but give them a crack first and then reply back here with what you found out.

This is actually a really interesting topic! 
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Stringy

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 07:44:21 pm »
Hey! Love the way you’ve asked this question. Shows you’re really thinking about it.

If you google “malaria immune system” you’ll see a lot of scholarly articles about how malaria evades the immune system. These will be difficult to read, but give them a crack first and then reply back here with what you found out.

This is actually a really interesting topic!

Thanks! I found an article that really hits the nail on the head, detailing the roles of NK Cells, T-Cells and B-Cells in response to an anti-gen, speciffically against malaria. ( https://sites.google.com/site/bioisu/the-immune-system )

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 02:09:12 pm »
Thanks! I found an article that really hits the nail on the head, detailing the roles of NK Cells, T-Cells and B-Cells in response to an anti-gen, speciffically against malaria. ( https://sites.google.com/site/bioisu/the-immune-system )

This resource was just what you were looking for, but I think it might have some factual errors! That's really, really frustrating, because it looks legit too.

Disregard most of what it says about NK cells. Definitely worth having a closer look into some of the strategies malaria uses to avoid the immune system as well.

If you want anyone to check over your understanding, just ask here :)
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd