Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 07:54:44 am

Author Topic: Why the bad rep?  (Read 42982 times)  Share 

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
Re: Why the bad rep?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 08:16:10 pm »
Stop with the bickering and act your age, people >_>

Why does VU have such a bad rep? Many of its business subjects have an enter similar to Monash? so why the bad rep?

1) Generally, lower demand for their courses -> lower ENTER requirements -> people associate low ENTER with crappy quality.

2) Re: business, universities like UoM have a much better reputation, so people would prefer to go there instead of VU.

3) Ranked a lot lower than many other Victorian and Australian universities.

4) Low quality courses supported by anecdotal evidence (e.g. my friend whose year of law at VU was completely worthless in terms of credits when she transferred to Monash)
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

mypurpleundercracka

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 08:18:45 pm »
Stop with the bickering and act your age, people >_>

Why does VU have such a bad rep? Many of its business subjects have an enter similar to Monash? so why the bad rep?

1) Generally, lower demand for their courses -> lower ENTER requirements -> people associate low ENTER with crappy quality.

2) Re: business, universities like UoM have a much better reputation, so people would prefer to go there instead of VU.

3) Ranked a lot lower than many other Victorian and Australian universities.

4) Low quality courses supported by anecdotal evidence (e.g. my friend whose year of law at VU was completely worthless in terms of credits when she transferred to Monash)

tis only higher than ACU and Ballarat Uni Victoria-wise

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Applied Mathematics Student at UoM
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 08:22:55 pm »
1. VU passes everyone
2. the courses are of ridiculously poor quality (eg. my family friend from VU has a mid sem test that he can do at home)
3. it's fail
4. did i mention its fail?
5. lol vu
6. it's vu
7. Their open book exams are stupid because students use the book samples to get HD -_-
8. lol ur sister is fail mypurpleundercracka 90, 55 damn.
9. They have poor resources
10. They are restricted to H&R Block
11. 80% of their graduates find full time employment... at maccas or nandos if they're lucky.

:)

Thats a pretty pathetic response Apple. I didnt know you could go that low, even if it is about Vic Uni.

Reality, it hits hard.

lol so true
2008: Finished VCE

2009 - 2011: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Physics)

2012 - 2014: Master of Science (Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics)

2016 - 2018: Master of Engineering (Civil)

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design

ninwa

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 08:25:28 pm »
tis only higher than ACU and Ballarat Uni Victoria-wise

Interesting - for some reason I thought ACU was a fair bit better than VU. And I didn't know there was a Ballarat Uni o.O

kurrymuncher

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 08:58:54 pm »
1. VU passes everyone
2. the courses are of ridiculously poor quality (eg. my family friend from VU has a mid sem test that he can do at home)
3. it's fail
5. lol vu
6. it's vu
7. Their open book exams are stupid because students use the book samples to get HD -_-
11. 80% of their graduates find full time employment... at maccas or nandos if they're lucky.

Thats a pretty pathetic response Apple. I didnt know you could go that low, even if it is about Vic Uni.

Reality, it hits hard.
all unsubstantiated rubbish. That is not reality.
Oh and you bragged about melb uni so much before "reality hit hard" and you were sent packing to monash. reality is a bitch, ain't it?

AHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA

Remember that thread where you said you would laugh if applexy didn't get into melb uni.... did you laugh lol?

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 09:00:18 pm »
1. VU passes everyone
3. it's fail
5. lol vu
6. it's vu

Reality, it hits hard.
all unsubstantiated rubbish. That is not reality.
Oh and you bragged about melb uni so much before "reality hit hard" and you were sent packing to monash. reality is a bitch, ain't it?

I actually have a family friend who is studying BAcc at VU, so no, it's not really unsubstantiated facts. He told me that he copied the same sample answer in law book to the exam, and he got a HD.

And nah, reality is quite good now. Progressing through Monash quite well.  At least I care about my future.

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F

Noblesse

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 09:17:29 pm »
It's all relative. I'm sure those at Harvard would go LOLUOM.

ninwa

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 09:49:09 pm »
What the hell does AppleXY going to Monash have to do with the topic?

hard, instead of randomly attacking people, howsabout you come up with some evidence/arguments?

ninwa

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 09:54:57 pm »
did applexy provide any evidence?

Yes - anecdotal.

John Smith

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 09:56:47 pm »
Still no one has really asnwered my question. ALot of VU courses require fairly high enters, mids 80's to early 90's. So surely there must be good students who go there? SO what ive taken from this thread so far is that people who've never been out in the real world, had their head up their asses, never been out of their houses have prejudice opinions about the university. So do people in the workplace have the same prejudice opinion VU.

My other question as transferring, how long do u have to be at one uni to transfer to anotherand do u have to be performing reasonably well to do this?

costargh

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2009, 09:59:23 pm »
People should not be shot down for having high aspirations.

On topic: VU has the reputation it has because its courses are deemed to be of not the same quality as other institutions in Victoria. This causes the ENTER required for their courses to be lower than others institutions. As this is the case and as this stigma attached to the University progresses, it causes academics who want to engage in research to shun the University in favour of other Universities (namely UoM and Monash who have the highest research output as far as I know). As VU attracts less (and lower quality academics) , it receives less funding, which leads to poorer infrastructure and facilities which in itself also continues the vicious cycle of bad reputation.

Case Study: The Australian Synchrotron investment in collaboration with Monash University.

qshyrn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2009, 10:03:39 pm »
Still no one has really asnwered my question. ALot of VU courses require fairly high enters, mids 80's to early 90's. So surely there must be good students who go there? SO what ive taken from this thread so far is that people who've never been out in the real world, had their head up their asses, never been out of their houses have prejudice opinions about the university. So do people in the workplace have the same prejudice opinion VU.

My other question as transferring, how long do u have to be at one uni to transfer to anotherand do u have to be performing reasonably well to do this?
for starters, VIC uni is located in the middle of footscray (nota good place to put a 'uni'): http://www.theage.com.au/national/killers-sentenced-over-curry-bashing-20081222-73ff.html
this terrible location has probably resulted in the following:
-not many pro academics wanting to work there.
-this therefore decreases the quality of its courses and the academics which work there publish shitter papers than ones who work at melbuni
-this then decreases its university ranking
then theyre forced to lower the enter scores and then no one wants to go there cuz they think its shit

xXNovaxX

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2009, 10:03:55 pm »
I'll try and answer, sorry for all the muddle and useless posts, I speak on behalf of my posts as well.

Ok, I am using "predjudice against other Uni's" (as u asked in ur post)using Deakin/VU/RMIT, since they are all SIMILAR in the way they run and offer courses, sort of.

Ok, my cousin went to Uni i THINK at VU or TAFE, can't remember. Anyway, she did accounting. She had to do Work Exp as part of her course, well anyway, she got a place at an accountancy firm.

The dude loved her! He said to her "i've had many students work here for work experience from universities, and you're one of the best, you are fast, know how to help customers, and understand the stuff", well anyway he told her when she finishes her course he will have a job for her secured.

Point is, he was saying the Uni pplz weren't as good coz they learn all theory etc etc, whereas my cuz, she knew how to work PRACTICALLY. That's because she went to VU or TAFE, therefore depending on your degree VU can be BETTER as i previously stated.

Also, look, unfortunately a lot of the time it does come to predjudice. If I was a firm, I'd take a Melb Uni student over a I dunno Deakin (if they offer law?), so point is, it depends how you go on about it.

A lot of courses are better done at TAFE/VU then University.

BTW, I don't mean to associate TAFE with VU, BUT VU i THINK is a lot hands on? And that's a good thing!

Can I also add;

If u want to be a lawyer, doctor, engineer, and a dozen other medium0high paying jobs, I would rather personally just go to Monash/melbourne Unim and not RISK being discriminated against.

HOWEVER, if the context is you not getting a high enough ENTER, or u find VU personally sounds better, well than go to VU, better having a degree than not having one.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 10:07:30 pm by xXNovaxX »

ninwa

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2009, 10:10:57 pm »

Yes, people in the workplace often have the same opinion. I can only speak for the legal industry, however. I don't know what the other areas are like.

High ENTER does not necessarily mean high quality. It just means the course is more in demand. Of course there are some good students who choose to go there, for a variety of reasons. However, most tend to prefer Group of Eight universities because of the perceived prestige that a degree from them brings. On VN (a relatively high-achieving site), for example, you'd be hard-pressed finding someone with a VU course as their first preference.

RE: transferring - you can transfer after 1 semester or 2, depending on the course. You would generally need a credit or distinction average.

ill give some "anecdotal" evidence, there have been 3 PM's in the past that went to VU. Oh but prove it? don't worry i said so so it's anecdotal evidence ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence
Evidence in the form of an anecdote or hearsay

How is what you said an anecdote or hearsay?

Instead of following people's posts around and dissecting them, try to make a half-decent contribution.

ninwa

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2009, 10:17:43 pm »
It's more evidence than you've contributed in this entire thread.