Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 08:26:32 am

Author Topic: Mid year exam assistance thread  (Read 24522 times)  Share 

psychlaw

Re: Mid year exam assistance thread
« Reply #165 on: June 11, 2008, 01:16:36 pm »
whats an example of context affecting perceptual set (not bruner and mintern) a made up example

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #166 on: June 11, 2008, 01:36:18 pm »
I used the Bruner/Minturn example on last year's exam and I got full marks. I'd stick with that one. It's the best. Or you could use this one from the assessment report..

In Loftus and Mackworth’s experiment with a picture of the giant squid outside the barn in a farmyard scene, the unexpectedness of the squid in that environment (context) meant that subjects focussed their attention on the squid and did not notice other details.
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) @ The University of Melbourne

chubz90

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #167 on: June 11, 2008, 02:41:52 pm »
This was in the 05 STAV, i dont agree with the answer
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question 1
A patient who had undergone a split-brain operation is presented with a picture of a
yacht to his left visual field and a picture of a train to his right visual field, and is
asked to verbally report on what he sees.
i. What is he likely to report concerning his visual experience?
i. One mark
Patient will report seeing the train; he will not report seeing the yacht.
ii Two marks Give one mark for each of the following:
• The image of the train ends up in the left hemisphere. This hemisphere has the language centres and he is able to give the object a name − a train.
• The image of the yacht ends up in the right hemisphere. The visual cortex can process the image correctly but because the corpus callosum is cut, the patient cannot assess language to give it a name.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i mean if its cut how is the image of a train going to be reported verbally- the train was on the right and the brain is split; hence it is unable to verbally reported which is a left hemisphere function.

Am i wrong or is it STAV?? ???

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #168 on: June 11, 2008, 02:50:55 pm »
STAV is correct. The train is presented to his right VISUAL field, not his right hemisphere.

When the train is presented to his right visual field, the image will fall on the left side of each retina and the image will be processed by the left hemisphere. Hence, he is able to name it because the image has been sent to the left hemisphere (the language hemisphere).

moshi

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #169 on: June 11, 2008, 03:43:42 pm »
so do MRI scans utilise magnetic fields and radio waves to produce an image of the brain, or do they only use magnetic fields? i've got contradicting information from different sources :S

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #170 on: June 11, 2008, 03:46:24 pm »
Magnetic resonance imaging is a technique that uses magnetic fields and radio waves to cause atoms in the neurons of the brain to vibrate. The vibrations are detected by a large magnet in the chamber that encloses the person undergoing the procedure.

chubz90

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #171 on: June 11, 2008, 03:46:46 pm »
STAV is correct. The train is presented to his right VISUAL field, not his right hemisphere.

When the train is presented to his right visual field, the image will fall on the left side of each retina and the image will be processed by the left hemisphere. Hence, he is able to name it because the image has been sent to the left hemisphere (the language hemisphere).

yeah but its the whole spit brain thing i dont get? If the brain is split how does the info travel?

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #172 on: June 11, 2008, 03:58:00 pm »
In a split brain patient, the two hemispheres are unable to communicate with each other- they can still receive information. They simply act independently of one another. That is, if the right hemisphere is presented with visual information, the person cannot name the item because the right hemisphere can't communicate to the left hemisphere what it has seen. Does that make more sense in simple terms now?

chubz90

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #173 on: June 11, 2008, 04:33:41 pm »
In a split brain patient, the two hemispheres are unable to communicate with each other- they can still receive information. They simply act independently of one another. That is, if the right hemisphere is presented with visual information, the person cannot name the item because the right hemisphere can't communicate to the left hemisphere what it has seen. Does that make more sense in simple terms now?

OMG- i was over complicating it. lol i tend to do that at times :D Yeah i get it now, cheers  ;)

Hughie

« Reply #174 on: June 11, 2008, 04:57:55 pm »
OMG!! Can someone please tell me the time for rods and cones to adapt in the dark??

daniel99

« Reply #175 on: June 11, 2008, 05:01:32 pm »
cones 10 minutes Rods 30 minutes...

daniel99

« Reply #176 on: June 11, 2008, 05:24:35 pm »
Can u get a statement of marks for the mid year results? Or do you have to wait until the end of the year? I thought u could get them in mid year, but teachers seems to think that u can only get them at the end of the year?

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #177 on: June 11, 2008, 05:40:07 pm »
You can definitely get them for mid year exams. I received mine about a week after mid year results came out.

psychlaw

« Reply #178 on: June 11, 2008, 05:44:09 pm »
Do we need to know about dark adaption!!?!??

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #179 on: June 11, 2008, 05:45:54 pm »
You're not expected to, no. It was mainly a focus of the previous study design.