Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:23:02 pm

Author Topic: BOOKS TO IMPROVE VOCAB  (Read 1617 times)  Share 

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
BOOKS TO IMPROVE VOCAB
« on: March 26, 2019, 10:15:16 pm »
Hey guys
It's come to the point where my vocabulary needs a boost. I don't wanna be normal anymore and I wanna shine in my cohort in English. One way of doing this is to build up new vocabulary by any means necessary.  :)
Soo I was wondering if y'all could let me know of books that you have read that u have found enjoyable to read and developed some form of vocabulary. Feel free to give me other methods to improve my vocabulary  :D
all help will be much appreciated
Thanks  ;)
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: BOOKS TO IMPROVE VOCAB
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 10:48:00 pm »
+4
What types of books are you into and what level are you reading at? Might be a good starting point if we know your interests.

I remember someone starting a new word thread last year here, so that might help. Additionally, here's an article by the lovely AN admin Literally Lauren and an old thread from Nat Mod Heidi on improving your vocabulary, both of which are great reads to get you started.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 11:02:16 pm »
+4
I really think that just reading anything that you're interested in will help you improve your vocab. News is often really good too.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 11:19:25 pm »
+2
Reading essays can help  :) George Orwell's essays in particular are easy to read and some, such as Why I Write and Politics and the English Language, are about ways to understand and improve writing yourself! AngelWings and vox nihili are right though; reading what you enjoy and have interest in will elevate your vocabulary more successfully than an academic thesis that you have zero engagement in.
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 09:58:26 am »
Reading essays can help  :) George Orwell's essays in particular are easy to read and some, such as Why I Write and Politics and the English Language, are about ways to understand and improve writing yourself! AngelWings and vox nihili are right though; reading what you enjoy and have interest in will elevate your vocabulary more successfully than an academic thesis that you have zero engagement in.

thanks for your opinions
tbh right now I have no interests....  :-[
but I do like watching the news....so maybe I should start reading it

and I have read George Orwell's "Animal Farm" and enjoyed it so may as well read his essays...didnt know he did any but now I do
thnx ;)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 10:12:32 am »
+3
Definitely agree with the news and Orwell suggestions. I really like Orwell's writing. I'd suggest trying Nineteen Eighty-Four next if you haven't yet read it!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 10:34:32 am »
+4
Perhaps I'm a bit biased but I think reading books from the literary canon list can help improve your vocabulary. By this, I'm talking about Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters and Charles Dickens (to name a few). This is because they're writing style is completely different to the way contemporary novels are written, so their use of syntax is different and even the meaning of words are different. It also helps you appreciate how the themes they address, and I think it's great practice for analysing. I'm not sure about the English syllabus in VCE but in the HSC English syllabus, there are a lot of texts that are literary canons (especially in Extension English).

I will give you a disclaimer that it might be a bit challenging at first (the first book that I read from the literary canon list was Bram Stoker's Dracula and Year 6 me was confused why the novel was significant). I would suggest reading something light, like Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray, Jane Austen's Persuasion or Thomas Hardy's Far From the Madding Crowd :)
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 02:24:54 pm »
Perhaps I'm a bit biased but I think reading books from the literary canon list can help improve your vocabulary. By this, I'm talking about Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters and Charles Dickens (to name a few). This is because they're writing style is completely different to the way contemporary novels are written, so their use of syntax is different and even the meaning of words are different. It also helps you appreciate how the themes they address, and I think it's great practice for analysing. I'm not sure about the English syllabus in VCE but in the HSC English syllabus, there are a lot of texts that are literary canons (especially in Extension English).

I will give you a disclaimer that it might be a bit challenging at first (the first book that I read from the literary canon list was Bram Stoker's Dracula and Year 6 me was confused why the novel was significant). I would suggest reading something light, like Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray, Jane Austen's Persuasion or Thomas Hardy's Far From the Madding Crowd :)

thanks for your insight
its incredible that you started at year 6
I wish I had
anyways it's never to late
 :)