Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:18:56 pm

Author Topic: TheSapaInca's VCE Journey  (Read 5586 times)

TheSapaInca

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
TheSapaInca's VCE Journey
« on: December 26, 2017, 01:52:36 pm »
+6
As it said, I could start writing from the first day of Year7.
Instead, I am going to start writing today! Where it is currently the holidays. Next year, I will be in Year 9 :)
I am currently studying for MHS Year 10, which will be a pretty hard as only ~28 students are selected out of ~350.
This VCE Journey Journal will record all the significant events that I endeavour. When I am closer to Year 12, I will post more.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 01:31:49 am by TheSapaInca »
Goal ATAR: 99.00<

TheSapaInca

• Trendsetter
Re: TheSapaInca's VCE Journey
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 01:41:07 am »
I am consistently procrastinating, or maybe it isn't procrastinating because I am overseas and do not have the perfect resources and places for me to study in. This is possibly the reason. I am not used to this environment. Maybe when I come back to Australia, I will be able to meticulously study all different areas of English, Math and Writing.
Happy New Years Eve everyone!!

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 01:44:27 am »
+3
I am consistently procrastinating, or maybe it isn't procrastinating because I am overseas and do not have the perfect resources and places for me to study in. This is possibly the reason. I am not used to this environment. Maybe when I come back to Australia, I will be able to meticulously study all different areas of English, Math and Writing.

Relax mate, just enjoy your holidays for now :)
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

TheSapaInca

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 01:49:05 am »
+1
Relax mate, just enjoy your holidays for now :)
Okay :) I am just visiting family right now and buying random stuff. But now it is 10;48pm sorry. gtg sleep!! or else I will have no energy tomorrow!!
Night

hegihugo

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 11:54:28 pm »
+4
Hey man,

I know this is a bit rich coming from me, but tske it down a notch, you are in year 9, achieve one goal at a time, this attitude brings unnecessary stress, focus on one thing at a time, or you will definatley become disapointed!! Sorry if I am sounding like a bit of a buzz kill. Happy new year!!

Hugo ;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 04:32:16 pm by hegihugo »

TheSapaInca

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 01:31:13 am »
+3
 Starting my New Year with a quote that I will read whenever I feel down, do not accomplish something or fail something.

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."

Happy New Year everyone!

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 01:03:48 pm »

Hey!!
Coming from a macrob yr12 (I mean, technically speaking now that it's 2018), I'd like to offer some advice;
- don't stress to much about the entrance exam - of course you have to study but it's not worth sacrificing some of the last relaxing holidays you'll have for one exam
- as long as you're doing ~3 essays/week, and ~10 questions for each of the 4 other tests/week, you'll probably be fine. If you're still struggling with the entire exam after this much, you'll most likely have difficulties keeping up with the competitive nature of mhs
- do practise exams under exam conditions (I did 3 in the 2 weeks leading up to the real exam and I like to credit my success to them - no amount of practise questions + essays will help you as much as decent mock exams)
- take at least 2 days off to rest every week, don't burn yourself out just studying for the exam, as I said, it's realllyyyy not worth it
- by the sound of things, you're pretty dedicated to school already, so you're already at the top of the pack sitting the exam (I met someone achieving straight Cs at the exam and they thought they had a great chance of getting in, so trust me when I say you can knock out ~40% of the competition as soon as you get there)
- don't quit your extra curricula activities to study - yr10 (at macrob at least) requires an interview as well as the exam, so make sure you're not only made of book smarts (they love sports like nothing else)
- the day before the exam, stop studying at lunchtime and relax, have a healthy dinner and get to bed at a reasonable time - anything you study after 12pm is all you're going to remember on exam day, and you'll wind up doing worse
- focus on year 9 once you've sat the exam - don't get stressed about results or slack off in the hopes that you can just do well at mhs, you really need to keep up a steady pace studying right through
- if you don't get in, don't beat yourself up, it just means you weren't suited to the school and it's better that you're not there (for your sake)
- if you do get in, well done! but remember to keep a steady pace studying and do not freak out over the 2018/19 summer hols :)

Good luck!!

2017; Biology
2018; Accounting, Chemistry, Economics, English Language, Further Mathematics

TheSapaInca

• Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 01:29:26 pm »
+2
Hey!!
Coming from a macrob yr12 (I mean, technically speaking now that it's 2018), I'd like to offer some advice;
- don't stress to much about the entrance exam - of course you have to study but it's not worth sacrificing some of the last relaxing holidays you'll have for one exam
- as long as you're doing ~3 essays/week, and ~10 questions for each of the 4 other tests/week, you'll probably be fine. If you're still struggling with the entire exam after this much, you'll most likely have difficulties keeping up with the competitive nature of mhs
- do practise exams under exam conditions (I did 3 in the 2 weeks leading up to the real exam and I like to credit my success to them - no amount of practise questions + essays will help you as much as decent mock exams)
- take at least 2 days off to rest every week, don't burn yourself out just studying for the exam, as I said, it's realllyyyy not worth it
- by the sound of things, you're pretty dedicated to school already, so you're already at the top of the pack sitting the exam (I met someone achieving straight Cs at the exam and they thought they had a great chance of getting in, so trust me when I say you can knock out ~40% of the competition as soon as you get there)
- don't quit your extra curricula activities to study - yr10 (at macrob at least) requires an interview as well as the exam, so make sure you're not only made of book smarts (they love sports like nothing else)
- the day before the exam, stop studying at lunchtime and relax, have a healthy dinner and get to bed at a reasonable time - anything you study after 12pm is all you're going to remember on exam day, and you'll wind up doing worse
- focus on year 9 once you've sat the exam - don't get stressed about results or slack off in the hopes that you can just do well at mhs, you really need to keep up a steady pace studying right through
- if you don't get in, don't beat yourself up, it just means you weren't suited to the school and it's better that you're not there (for your sake)
- if you do get in, well done! but remember to keep a steady pace studying and do not freak out over the 2018/19 summer hols :)

Good luck!!
Thank you for your advice :-)

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 01:34:29 pm »
+8

That is untrue and a bit harsh. The selective schools exam is not an accurate prediction of how someone will fare in VCE (the main measurement of academics in high school) or in the school itself. There have been plenty of people who didn't get into a selective school from not overly competitive schools who ended up getting 97+ ATARs (a score which over half of Mac.rob's cohort is unable to attain) as well as people in selective schools who lose motivation or suffer from anxiety (amongst other personal issues) and ended up with < 90 ATARs (about 20% of the cohort). Some people really grow and thrive during the last few years of high school. MHS even claimed (a few years ago) that their selection systems caused them to miss out on many high potential students, which is why they sought to expand their post year 9 entry cohorts, to allow them more liberty in how they go about selecting students. I still think that the selective schools exam is a decent method, because of the differing set curriculums between schools as well as the fact that at such a young age, it's best to select students based on potential.

I do agree that going to a selective school is not a life-defining experience as some may think. Those schools do not monopolise the top ATARs and study scores. And it's the kind of thing that if you don't progress on to other things or make waves 1-2 years after completing high school (I'll admit that it going to Mac.rob did help me get certain opportunities straight out of high school), it's mostly irrelevant.

VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 02:07:26 pm »
+5
That is untrue and a bit harsh. The selective schools exam is not an accurate prediction of how someone will fare in VCE (the main measurement of academics in high school) or in the school itself. There have been plenty of people who didn't get into a selective school from not overly competitive schools who ended up getting 97+ ATARs (a score which over half of Mac.rob's cohort is unable to attain) as well as people in selective schools who lose motivation or suffer from anxiety (amongst other personal issues) and ended up with < 90 ATARs (about 20% of the cohort). Some people really grow and thrive during the last few years of high school. MHS even claimed (a few years ago) that their selection systems caused them to miss out on many high potential students, which is why they sought to expand their post year 9 entry cohorts, to allow them more liberty in how they go about selecting students. I still think that the selective schools exam is a decent method, because of the differing set curriculums between schools as well as the fact that at such a young age, it's best to select students based on potential.

I do agree that going to a selective school is not a life-defining experience as some may think. Those schools do not monopolise the top ATARs and study scores. And it's the kind of thing that if you don't progress on to other things or make waves 1-2 years after completing high school (I'll admit that it going to Mac.rob did help me get certain opportunities straight out of high school), it's mostly irrelevant.

This is spot on advice. The importance of getting into a selective school seems to be overblown, when it just provides you with a super competitive cohort to measure yourself against. I’ll concede that I didn’t go to a selective school, but if you are driven, you will definitely be able to succeed in VCE and in life regardless of whether you get in. I also don’t think that performance in years 7-10 is particularly indicative of VCE performance as there are many people (myself included) who only start working their guts out when it really matters.
UAdel MBBS

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 12:09:25 pm »

I understand where you're coming from and admit that the way that I've worded it does indeed come off as a little harsh. However, I didn't mean that one's performance on the entrance exam would mirror their performance on the VCE, I meant it would mirror ~generally~ how they'd cope with the school's environment, full stop, and I say generally because it's obviously not going to be 100% accurate. Students from selective schools will always lose motivation, suffer from anxiety, and face other result-influencing obstacles but the entrance exam seeks to find a cohort which has a high concentration of academically-able students who, even when pressed with such issues, will perform well on their VCE. It also does a good job at creating cohorts that are ~mostly~ more resilient to the more competitive nature of the select entry schools (e.g. the expectation to perform well academically, or the more difficult grading scales on tests). If a student struggles on the entrance exam and doesn't pass (keep in mind that I am not referring to the students who had bad days on exam day, fell sick, etc.), it's likely (not definite) that they won't do as well in such an environment, nor enjoy their three/four years, and chances are that they'll perform a lot better at a 'less demanding' school. To be entirely honest, at least once a week I wish I didn't get in because of the stress that my school causes me. In comparison to my friends, my scores on the entrance exam were ~average, and coming from an environment where I was top of the class to one where I'm in the middle is very demotivating, so if you performed under the cutoff for the exam and then went into said environment, imagine how awful it'd be in comparison to at another school where you were high average/top. Of course, not every student is the same, so some may thrive in a place where they have to work harder to get to the top (and I think this is where the entrance exam lacks - it can't tell what kind of student the test-sitter is).
And with regard to your last paragraph, that is very true. Select entry schools are great if you work well in a high-pressure and very competitive environment, but if you're a motivated and disciplined student you could do well at any school, and don't need the select-entry stress.
Also, to not completely hijack OP's post haha;
TheSapaInca, sorry, and also, I have to fix the main message of the last post I put on your thread: you sound like a very hardworking student who is bound to do well anywhere, and if your entrance exam isn't successful, don't stress because you're bound to perform well at any school you go to :)

2017; Biology
2018; Accounting, Chemistry, Economics, English Language, Further Mathematics

TheSapaInca

• Trendsetter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 04:04:15 pm »
+1
TheSapaInca, sorry, and also, I have to fix the main message of the last post I put on your thread: you sound like a very hardworking student who is bound to do well anywhere, and if your entrance exam isn't successful, don't stress because you're bound to perform well at any school you go to :)
Thank you :)

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 04:38:59 pm »
+6
i thought I'd just add my two cents.
In Year 5, I applied for scholarships to two schools (one of which I am currently attending) in my regional town and failed both times.
This absolutely spooked me. I thought that my whole primary school life of excelling etc. was coming to an end and I would be just an average Joe amongst all the people who were "obviously smarter" because they got the scholarship.
In Year 8 I was awarded the scholarship anyway. I also made friends with the two other recipients of the scholarship, and not to their discredit, I outperform both of them academically.
Whether it is entry exams, scholarship exams, the UMAT or any other test, it will never measure the potential of that individual.
So, OP, if you pass then congratulations. If you don't, then that doesn't mean that you can't outperform those who did ;)
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

TheSapaInca

• Trendsetter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 09:32:37 pm »
+1
i thought I'd just add my two cents.
In Year 5, I applied for scholarships to two schools (one of which I am currently attending) in my regional town and failed both times.
This absolutely spooked me. I thought that my whole primary school life of excelling etc. was coming to an end and I would be just an average Joe amongst all the people who were "obviously smarter" because they got the scholarship.
In Year 8 I was awarded the scholarship anyway. I also made friends with the two other recipients of the scholarship, and not to their discredit, I outperform both of them academically.
Whether it is entry exams, scholarship exams, the UMAT or any other test, it will never measure the potential of that individual.
So, OP, if you pass then congratulations. If you don't, then that doesn't mean that you can't outperform those who did ;)
Sorry for the late reply :( But thank you for your touching message  :)

TheSapaInca

• Trendsetter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 09:44:45 pm »
+2
Ok so I am going to post some goals I hope to finish BEFORE the 1st of March.
All of these are going to be study-related

1. Finish knowing my secret and written-by-myself vocabulary list. "More than 500 words" (Took a long time to do too)
2. Learn all the Maths topics in Year 9 curriculum and consolidate by extension work. Try some Year 10 if done easily.
3. Be able to know at least 2000 characters in Chinese. I actually don't think if 2000 is a lot, if not, more, if so, 2000.
4. Excel in my sport. Already at state level I guess??
5. Get moderately fit and start enjoying swimming. (Find it boring)
6. Learn some science stuff @cookiedream sent to me!! (Which I haven't had time to in the past month as I was overseas in a place where Google and Youtube was banned.
7. Be true to myself and Never give up. (Stop procrastinating and playing too much games as well)

Hopefully, I will achieve all of them and I will post if I do or don't!