Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:44:04 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568020 times)  Share 

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #705 on: March 20, 2017, 10:35:21 pm »
Hey guys! When do we have a referendum, is it when we have to change the constitution or a statute law?

Fairly certain it relates to changes in the Constitution. I can't seem to recall anything about it changing statute law. I think that might be a plebiscite. Not 100% though.
Heavy Things :(

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #706 on: March 20, 2017, 10:42:44 pm »
+2
Hey Guys,

In a Legal Studies Exam how many words/pages do you suggest for the essay/creative?

Thanks,

Mary x

Hey there,

This is just a very general guide line but my teacher kept emphasising that the crime essay should be around 6 pages and the options essays around 8 - definitely dependent on the level of detail, length of quotes, size of paragraphs and size of handwriting - for me.. I have unusually large handwriting so I always needed more paper and averaged around 10 pages for each essay including crime --> in reality it was around 7 pages of a normal person's writing. If you are worried about length, you can definitely post it on the legal studies essay marking thread and we can have a look at it for you and tell you what we think :)

Hope this helps :)

Hey guys! When do we have a referendum, is it when we have to change the constitution or a statute law?

A referendum is required to change a part of the constitution; in order to change statute law, it just requires the bill to go through both houses of parliament and gain royal assent - not dependent on the vote of the australian public (there are many acts that become laws and many that are changed each year, if the australian public had to vote to change each one, it would be incredibly inefficient and a waste of many resources (hiring out schools and paying people to run stalls, paper wastage etc) - Wales is definitely correct - never say that you are a plebiscite, everyone has value!!!

Hope this helps :)
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #707 on: March 21, 2017, 08:42:25 pm »
+1
Hey there,

This is just a very general guide line but my teacher kept emphasising that the crime essay should be around 6 pages and the options essays around 8 - definitely dependent on the level of detail, length of quotes, size of paragraphs and size of handwriting - for me.. I have unusually large handwriting so I always needed more paper and averaged around 10 pages for each essay including crime --> in reality it was around 7 pages of a normal person's writing. If you are worried about length, you can definitely post it on the legal studies essay marking thread and we can have a look at it for you and tell you what we think :)

Just adding to Isaac - I expected I would write 6 pages in Crime, but when I got my essay question about transnational law, I thought "yeah, no way I can write 6 pages about this." And in hindsight I think that's an important call to make so that I wasn't waffling at the end trying to get to 6 pages. Always play by ear and be realistic about planning your essay (whether on paper or in your head) so that when you start waffling, you call yourself out to stop wasting time, end the essay nicely, and move on. :) I think I wrote 4, possibly 5 pages.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Bubbly_bluey

• Trendsetter
  • Just Floating By :)
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #708 on: March 21, 2017, 10:31:58 pm »
hi! this is a question from Jamon's legal studies notes that asks: what are the 4 ways in which crime can be classified?
Does this mean the types of offences like crimes against person, state economic offences etc?
Also, is a disadvantage to strict liability is because the (accused?) does not have a say or provide their side of the story?
Thanks
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 10:35:02 pm by Bubbly_bluey »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #709 on: March 21, 2017, 10:57:16 pm »
+1
hi! this is a question from Jamon's legal studies notes that asks: what are the 4 ways in which crime can be classified?
Does this mean the types of offences like crimes against person, state economic offences etc?
Also, is a disadvantage to strict liability is because the (accused?) does not have a say or provide their side of the story?
Thanks

Omg I forgot I had those questions in my study notes! Best thing ever those things, really liked having the questions there to test my knowledge :)

Those questions will be tough because I wrote them to jog my own memory. So half of them might not click with you, and that's okay. From memory, my thinking with that first one was:

- Summary/Indictable
- Strict Liability/Not Strict Liability
- Offences Against the Person, Economics offences, etc
- Ummm...

See, it barely clicks with me anymore  ;D would love for someone to try and guess what the hell I was thinking there :P

Yep, that's definitely a valid criticism of strict liability offences! ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #710 on: March 21, 2017, 11:14:14 pm »
+1
Omg I forgot I had those questions in my study notes! Best thing ever those things, really liked having the questions there to test my knowledge :)

Those questions will be tough because I wrote them to jog my own memory. So half of them might not click with you, and that's okay. From memory, my thinking with that first one was:

- Summary/Indictable
- Strict Liability/Not Strict Liability
- Offences Against the Person, Economics offences, etc
- Ummm...

See, it barely clicks with me anymore  ;D would love for someone to try and guess what the hell I was thinking there :P

Yep, that's definitely a valid criticism of strict liability offences! ;D

Federal offence or state offence?
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #711 on: March 21, 2017, 11:28:21 pm »
+1
Federal offence or state offence?

Ahhhh that could be it! I honestly can't remember  :o

Bubbly_bluey

• Trendsetter
« Reply #712 on: March 23, 2017, 08:06:59 pm »
The questions you have in those notes are definitely really helpful for me to summaries and condense the content. SO THANK YOU! ;D ;D
I also have a question: if there was an essay question that asks to "assess the effectiveness of something (eg.criminal trial process) as a means of achieving justice" how should I structure it and what should I writing about? 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #713 on: March 23, 2017, 08:17:12 pm »
+1
The questions you have in those notes are definitely really helpful for me to summaries and condense the content. SO THANK YOU! ;D ;D
I also have a question: if there was an essay question that asks to "assess the effectiveness of something (eg.criminal trial process) as a means of achieving justice" how should I structure it and what should I writing about?

Hey Bubbly! For me, you have two, perhaps three options:

1- Take pieces of your "something" and analyse each in its own paragraph turn (EG - judicial discretion and juries could be two for your example)
2- A case study approach, where you take specific cases and analyse effectiveness in each (one per paragraph)

The third and my preferred would be defining "achieving justice" as balancing the rights of victims, offenders and society. This gives a proper definition for justice and then I can just do a paragraph on how each of them is recognised (EG - society is represented by the jury, so my society paragraph might focus on the effectiveness of the jury)

There is no right or wrong way to structure an essay though - Much to your preference ;D

Bubbly_bluey

• Trendsetter
« Reply #714 on: March 23, 2017, 09:33:50 pm »
Sorry another question: If a 14 year kid commits murder or a very serious offence, will the case be established in the children's court then tried at the supreme court or only at the childrens court?

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #715 on: March 23, 2017, 09:37:32 pm »
Hi i was doing a past paper and came up two questions i dont really know how to answer. could you explain them to me please so if a similar question appears i know the information?

- how does the UN seek to enforce Human Rights (3)
- give and example of an international treaty that seeks to protect human rights and a specific right within
                                      for this question i was first going to talk about a convention or decleration but neither are HR so i dont really know what treaty to use. =/

thank you

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #716 on: March 24, 2017, 12:54:54 am »
+1
Sorry another question: If a 14 year kid commits murder or a very serious offence, will the case be established in the children's court then tried at the supreme court or only at the childrens court?

99.9% sure that even if the presumption of doli incapax is succesfully rebutted, the case stays in Children's Court for any offences that take place while the offender is under 18 - And can stay there until that offender is 21 years of age ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #717 on: March 24, 2017, 01:04:11 am »
+1
Hi i was doing a past paper and came up two questions i dont really know how to answer. could you explain them to me please so if a similar question appears i know the information?

- how does the UN seek to enforce Human Rights (3)
- give and example of an international treaty that seeks to protect human rights and a specific right within
                                      for this question i was first going to talk about a convention or decleration but neither are HR so i dont really know what treaty to use. =/

thank you

Hey! So for UN enforcing human rights, talk about the Security Council. They have the power to apply sanctions as pressures to comply with international human rights ideals, and can send in Humanitarian Peacekeeping Forces to prevent/handle human rights violations (their intervention in Rwanda would probably be the best example!) :)

As for the treaty, could you go with the easy ones like the ICCPR or ICESCR? The international human rights documents? Or are they looking for something more specific than that ;D

caitlinjovanovska

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #718 on: March 24, 2017, 12:31:15 pm »
Hi!

If we were to get an essay question on law reform, what examples would you include? Would it be stuff like amendments to the Bail Act?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #719 on: March 24, 2017, 12:36:05 pm »
+1
Hi!

If we were to get an essay question on law reform, what examples would you include? Would it be stuff like amendments to the Bail Act?

That's definitely an area to address! You could also explore amendments to LEPRA to give police more powers, the introduction of mandatory sentencing for certain offences in response to the R v Loveridge case in 2013 - There is loads to discuss because the law is changing so frequently!! ;D