Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 08:44:47 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 570800 times)  Share 

biancajuru

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #645 on: March 05, 2017, 10:28:42 am »
Ratification means the country endorses the right and promises to enforce it/uphold it. Enacting is actually placing it in legislation, therefore making it legal enforceable and subject to consequences (eg jail time, fines) if broken.
I had this same question in year 12, and that's what my teacher said (even though every resources said ratified as well, it's a bit crazy)
2016 HSC: Advanced English (94/100), Extension 1 English (46/50), Mathematics (93/100), Legal Studies (93/100), Modern History (93/100), SOR II (94/100).

ATAR: 98.15

Currently studying a Bachelor of Commerce at Sydney Uni

I'm offering tutoring in all the above subjects (minus maths)! For more info PM me or click here! 😊

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #646 on: March 05, 2017, 11:29:43 am »
+1
Hey! Yes that question was a very tricky one - It is definitely B; it comes from the fact that Australia has a dualist Legal system. Ratification does not mean it becomes legally binding straight away, it must be enacted as a piece of domestic legislation first! Some countries (France is one I believe) have a system where ratified treaties are legally binding relatively immediately

Bubbly_bluey

• Trendsetter
  • Just Floating By :)
« Reply #647 on: March 05, 2017, 06:34:49 pm »
Hi everyone! Just asking what is "self determination" having trouble understanding the texbook :P

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #648 on: March 05, 2017, 07:05:41 pm »
+1
Hi everyone! Just asking what is "self determination" having trouble understanding the texbook :P

It's a collective right for a nation or group to determine their political status. This means they have a right to be governed without the external interference of other states. This is outline in the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights in article 1:
1. All peoples have the right of self-determination. By virtue of that right they freely determine their political status and freely pursue their economic, social and cultural development.
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

Bubbly_bluey

• Trendsetter
  • Just Floating By :)
« Reply #649 on: March 05, 2017, 09:30:48 pm »
Hi again! Is there a difference with the UN Charter and the UDHR?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #650 on: March 05, 2017, 10:13:45 pm »
+1
Hi again! Is there a difference with the UN Charter and the UDHR?

Hey! Yes, though they were drafted at the same time and are closely linked. UDHR is a list of the fundamental human rights as defined by the UN in 1945, while the UN Charter is a document outlining the way the UN itself will operate to achieve its goals. This link has a nice summary of the contents of this charter - It's a good thing to include in a human rights response even if it doesn't relate directly ;D

Ps - Thanks for your answer above rodero ;D

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #651 on: March 06, 2017, 03:39:40 pm »
I was wondering where would be a good place to have statistics on the decline of parliament thesis?

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #652 on: March 06, 2017, 04:19:13 pm »
I was wondering where would be a good place to have statistics on the decline of parliament thesis?

Hey, i'm a Legal Studies student like you so I might be wrong, but I think this question is best suited in the VCE Legal Studies Question Thread, since this isn't covered in the HSC syllabus. However, I would recommend a skim through your textbook just in case they've provided some statistics on the decline of parliament thesis.

Again, i'm no expert so you may need a moderator to confirm where the best place to ask this would be. Sorry that my help was pretty limited, I hope you can get your question answered in detail by someone more knowledgeable than me  :)
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #653 on: March 07, 2017, 02:29:55 am »
+1

Hey anotherworld, have a look at this here. You can scroll down to have a look at bills presented, so if you could compare this data to years before, you might be able to find your answer!

Hey, i'm a Legal Studies student like you so I might be wrong, but I think this question is best suited in the VCE Legal Studies Question Thread, since this isn't covered in the HSC syllabus. However, I would recommend a skim through your textbook just in case they've provided some statistics on the decline of parliament thesis.

Again, i'm no expert so you may need a moderator to confirm where the best place to ask this would be. Sorry that my help was pretty limited, I hope you can get your question answered in detail by someone more knowledgeable than me  :)

I'm so pleased to see you lending a hand Rodero! Genuinely, I am! :) Anotherworld is a Western Australian student who frequents the NSW forums. You'll see each other on this forum semi frequently :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #654 on: March 07, 2017, 08:12:36 am »
I'm so pleased to see you lending a hand Rodero! Genuinely, I am! :) Anotherworld is a Western Australian student who frequents the NSW forums. You'll see each other on this forum semi frequently :)

That makes a lot more sense   :P Sorry for pointing you towards the wrong direction anotherworld!
HSC 2017:

nadine.tan

• Adventurer
« Reply #655 on: March 09, 2017, 10:14:56 pm »
Hi Elyse !

Would do you think is the best way to study for a half yearly legal exam?

Thank-you !!

nadine.tan

• Adventurer
« Reply #656 on: March 09, 2017, 10:19:26 pm »
Hi Elyse !

How should I structure a band 6 legal essay?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #657 on: March 09, 2017, 10:24:31 pm »
+1
Hi Elyse !

Would do you think is the best way to study for a half yearly legal exam?

Thank-you !!

Hey Nadine! Not Elyse, but hopefully I can help ;D

Without a doubt, the best way to prepare for your exams is to practice. Practice questions from your textbook or sample tests are the best way to consolidate your knowledge and practice applying it in an exam scenario ;D

That said, if you are looking for ways to mix it up, here are some of my other favourite ways to study for Legal!

I hope it helps! Best of luck for your exams ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #658 on: March 11, 2017, 06:00:31 am »
+1
Hi Elyse !

How should I structure a band 6 legal essay?

Hey Nadine! I'll firstly link you to Jamon's guide on how to write a legal thesis! That'll point you in the right direction seeing as the thesis will be the foundation of the argument...which will give you your structure! Not to inundate you with links, but Jamon also wrote a really good guide on how to get a band 6 in Legal and it also has a lot of great tips for essays, in case I don't cover it all!

There's many, many ways to structure a Legal essay. Typically, they are asking you to be evaluative of something - a process, an outcome, measures...etc. First and foremost, you need to actually make that evaluation and make it carefully. Do you think something is completely and totally effective? Probably not. It's more likely that you're able to find a few flaws in an otherwise great system, or vice versa. This makes a rich argument!

You can go about your body paragraphs mannnny ways. So, you could do it as though a case is an example of each different point. One case per paragraph. So, you might be talking about young offenders, and have a paragraph on a case that proves some kind of point about doli incapax, and then a factual case about rehabilitation stats, etc. This isn't a common structure but I did see it once on the forums and thought it was clever. Otherwise, you can bring up one idea/measure per paragraph. So, if they are talking about young offenders, one paragraph could be supporting the idea of doli incapax, whether you're arguing it is too high or too low, and then another paragraph could be about sentencing and punishment for juveniles. So you kind of just pick and choose and jump all over the syllabus, which is fine too! As long as you have some structure, of course. Always have an argument to bring it back to.

As often as is appropriate, look to use case studies, facts, media. These will make the bulk of your response in lots of ways if you're correctly connecting it to your argument. If you have a particular essay question handy that you're needing to answer, feel free to post it and the way you're thinking of structuring it and we can give feedback :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

rachelmassar

• Adventurer
  • School: Rouse Hill Anglican College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #659 on: March 12, 2017, 11:19:11 am »
Hi Elyse!!

I haven't posted on the site before so I hope I am doing it right... I am big fan of all your notes/lectures, love your work !!

My Legal half-yearly (yr 12) is in about 2 and a half weeks. My school has shifted around our topics and we are doing Crime and the Family Option first. I have a few questions particularly in regard to family essays;

- What is the best way to prepare for family essays without memorising content/arguments? I understanding memorising, especially at this early stage, is counter-productive. However, our class is no where near finished the Family topic and I'm unsure how to approach my study as I don't want to leave Family until the last minute. Should I go ahead in the content and practice essays earlier? And should I also practice essays open book, and then in exam conditions closer to the exam? I am a perfectionist and struggle to practice not thinking my work is perfect yet !

- Since family only amounts to essays, once I have done comprehensive notes, should I structure the important parts under themes + challenges, and other parts of the syllabus? (ie evaluate sections)

- I am a little flustered in structuring my essay struggle since they could mould questions into either broad or specific topics --> should I memorise thesis statements to likely questions as well as evidence?

- Is it too early to be using HSC papers for study? Or is it appropriate for the content we have already covered..

- With the two options for family essays, can they ask absolutely any 2 from syllabus? Is there any construct they follow? (ie recently they have covered all the contemporary issues in a question each)

- In regard to the syllabus requirement: 'Evaluate the effectiveness of the law in protecting victims of domestic violence' --> how appropriate is it to discuss the failure of preventative measures and stopping domestic violence initially? This is obviously one of the main concerns, however the wording of the question is problematic in terms of referencing 'victims'. Would this still be addressing the question?

Thanks !  :D
Rachel