Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:52:30 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568149 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #600 on: February 08, 2017, 09:13:05 pm »
+2
This is more of a personal query, but is it possible to bounce back from getting 88% in my first legal result? (We were required to do two assessments, and my results were 30/35 and 14/15 respectively.) Do you have any suggestions for recuperating from this subpar outcome? I mean, legal studies isn't considered a very high scaling subject, so how screwed am I, and what can I do to improve?

Hi! So a few things to start. First, definitely not sub-par. My first result was about 87% in Legal, I ended up state ranking, so definitely don't consider it sub-par in any way! That's a fantastic mark for your first task and it will only go up ;D

Second, Legal Studies scales just fine. Sure, it may be no MX2, but again using myself as an example, I got 99.80 taking Legal. Scaling is not going to make a huge difference in the long run, compared to hard work and drive ;D in no way are you even remotely closed to being screwed :)

All of that said, I can definitely understand setting a goal and not quite reaching it, and great to see you are keen to further improve that already great result! My biggest piece of advice is just to make sure that you learn from whatever feedback you were given in that first task. Figure out why you lost marks and focus your extra study time on resolving those inconsistencies.

Beyond that I'll link you to a few guides I wrote on Legal Studies - I hope they help!

How to Get a Band 6 in Legal
How to Study for Legal Studies
7 Mistakes to Avoid in Legal Studies

Seriously good work once again on such a great start. Even if it didn't quite meet your goals, it's amazing! :)

I'm actually interested to know if that's considered not-great because I got a 76% on my first assessment which weighed 25%

As above, 88% is a great start and about where my results were at this time during my HSC. 76%, also fantastic! The important thing is to learn from your mistakes and build yourself up (and ideally maintain a nice rank in your cohort in the process), so that by the time you hit the exam you get a KILLER mark ;D

miss_demeanour

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #601 on: February 09, 2017, 08:13:17 am »
+2
Hi! So a few things to start. First, definitely not sub-par. My first result was about 87% in Legal, I ended up state ranking, so definitely don't consider it sub-par in any way! That's a fantastic mark for your first task and it will only go up ;D

Second, Legal Studies scales just fine. Sure, it may be no MX2, but again using myself as an example, I got 99.80 taking Legal. Scaling is not going to make a huge difference in the long run, compared to hard work and drive ;D in no way are you even remotely closed to being screwed :)

All of that said, I can definitely understand setting a goal and not quite reaching it, and great to see you are keen to further improve that already great result! My biggest piece of advice is just to make sure that you learn from whatever feedback you were given in that first task. Figure out why you lost marks and focus your extra study time on resolving those inconsistencies.

Beyond that I'll link you to a few guides I wrote on Legal Studies - I hope they help!

How to Get a Band 6 in Legal
How to Study for Legal Studies
7 Mistakes to Avoid in Legal Studies

Seriously good work once again on such a great start. Even if it didn't quite meet your goals, it's amazing! :)

As above, 88% is a great start and about where my results were at this time during my HSC. 76%, also fantastic! The important thing is to learn from your mistakes and build yourself up (and ideally maintain a nice rank in your cohort in the process), so that by the time you hit the exam you get a KILLER mark ;D

Thanks so much for the advice! I'm grateful for the effort you channeled into the guides, as they really help.
:-)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #602 on: February 09, 2017, 08:57:42 am »
Thanks so much for the advice! I'm grateful for the effort you channeled into the guides, as they really help.
:-)

I'm glad they are helpful! ;D

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #603 on: February 11, 2017, 01:26:03 am »
Hi I was just wondering what would some examples of reserve and express powers of the Governor general?

I found some powers like this?
The legislative powers of the Governor General:
Section 28-32: The authority to dissolve the House of Representatives and issue the writs for a new election
Section 57: The authority to order a double dissolution

Executive powers are given directly to the Governor General :
Section 62-64: Appointing the members of the FEC
Section 67: Appointing senior government officials
Section 68: Commander in chief of the naval and military forces of the Commonwealth.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #604 on: February 11, 2017, 06:39:49 am »
Hi I was just wondering what would some examples of reserve and express powers of the Governor general?

I found some powers like this?
The legislative powers of the Governor General:
Section 28-32: The authority to dissolve the House of Representatives and issue the writs for a new election
Section 57: The authority to order a double dissolution

Executive powers are given directly to the Governor General :
Section 62-64: Appointing the members of the FEC
Section 67: Appointing senior government officials
Section 68: Commander in chief of the naval and military forces of the Commonwealth.

Hey there! I'm not super familiar with this because it isn't part of the HSC course, but I might be able to add to some of the reserve powers.
This is what I found on the website http://www.gg.gov.au/governor-generals-role ...

These are known as the reserve powers. While the reserve powers are not codified as such, they are generally agreed to at least include:

The power to appoint a Prime Minister if an election has resulted in a ‘hung parliament’;
The power to dismiss a Prime Minister where he or she has lost the confidence of the Parliament;
The power to dismiss a Prime Minister or Minister when he or she is acting unlawfully; and
The power to refuse to dissolve the House of Representatives despite a request from the Prime Minister.

I didn't actually know the extent of these reserve powers... quite scary in my opinion!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

CaitlinSavins

• Trailblazer
« Reply #605 on: February 14, 2017, 11:34:17 am »
I'm consolidating my study notes for the Crime topic, but I realised that dot point 1.9.1.1 is Summons and Warrants
Is this supposed to be court attendance notice? Because I remember Elyse mentioning that the LSA notified NESA that they're no longer called summonses... Which do I use?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #606 on: February 14, 2017, 09:57:19 pm »
+1
I'm consolidating my study notes for the Crime topic, but I realised that dot point 1.9.1.1 is Summons and Warrants
Is this supposed to be court attendance notice? Because I remember Elyse mentioning that the LSA notified NESA that they're no longer called summonses... Which do I use?

Hey! So the syllabus still says summons, but Court Attendance Notices is the new and correct term used in NSW, the syllabus and some textbooks haven't updated yet. They actually are the same thing and they have the same power, it's simply a name change. I believe either would be acceptable in an exam, I can't see them penalising you for the words of the syllabus, nor can I see them penalising you for the correct terminology.

In 2015 HSC, it was in a multiple choice question. There was minimal controversy arguing that it could be confusing for students to answer the question correctly if they weren't aware that summons and Court Attendance Notices are the same thing.

So, for your notes and for your responses, either would be appropriate!

kneehaha

• Adventurer
« Reply #607 on: February 15, 2017, 08:49:56 pm »
Hey Elyse,

Half yearlies are just over a month away and for Legal studies, the exam will include Crime and Family. I was just wondering if you have any tips as this will be my first exam going towards my HSC and with all the content Crime has, i feel like im going to be unprepared.

Thank you, Neha :)

Also,
I have 43 pages of notes for Crime.. How do it cut these down?

Mod Edit: merged posts.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 09:45:00 pm by elysepopplewell »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #608 on: February 16, 2017, 01:00:48 am »
+1
Hey Elyse,

Half yearlies are just over a month away and for Legal studies, the exam will include Crime and Family. I was just wondering if you have any tips as this will be my first exam going towards my HSC and with all the content Crime has, i feel like im going to be unprepared.

Also,

Hey! Not Elyse, but I'll hopefully be able to give some good advice ;D

With that big set of notes - I don't think 43 pages is such a bad thing right now. I condensed mine over time. Your exam will be a great step in that direction, because you'll then have experience as to how much detail you need to be able to tackle questions effectively. Crime is tough, because you've got that MC section that can test really specific stuff :P

If you want to trim down, remember a few things:
- Write in dot point and use abbreviations/symbols EVERYWHERE - The notes ONLY need to make sense to you. Use tables and similar graphics to save space too!
- Try and create a version of your notes that ONLY contains evidence - Cases, laws, media, that sort of stuff. Those are like 'case files,' and you could summarise them on palm cards to prepare for your crime essay. Having a separate set for content and then a separate set for evidence is what I did and it helped me immensely. For MC, you need content. For essay, you need evidence :)

In terms of tips, just do heaps of practice. Practice MC questions, practice essays, practice short answers and body paragraphs. Just spend as much time as you can actually writing and applying what you know in simulated exam conditions. Figure out what questions you don't answer as well as you'd like, and work on those! :) you might also want to read this guide I wrote on getting a Band 6 in Legal, for some more general tips!

I hope this helps ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #609 on: February 16, 2017, 05:57:51 am »
+2
Hey Elyse,

Also,

Adding on to Jamon, an exercise that I found really useful is buying palm cards (not the tiny ones, the next size up) and having one of them per dot point to condense my notes onto. This way, you're forced to write down the most important information, but you get to read over your extensive notes as you do that so you're revising the extra stuff too. I rewrote my notes before every exam, that was my study technique. Hopefully it works for you too!

Kirri Rule

• Trailblazer
  • School: Northern beaches christain school
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #610 on: February 16, 2017, 10:38:51 am »
Hi sorry i was wondering how i should go about studying for my extended response for my half yearlies this term? Thank you :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #611 on: February 16, 2017, 10:54:30 am »
+1
Hi sorry i was wondering how i should go about studying for my extended response for my half yearlies this term? Thank you :)

Practice.

Ahaha, I really wish I could give a longer more elaborate strategy, but practice is really the key ;D write some extended responses! Get feedback on them from a teacher, from a friend, or from us! Then work on improving it with the advice you are given :)

I'd also recommend you to make some evidence summaries; sheets which list all the LCTMR (Laws, Cases, Treaties, Media, Reports, and other evidence) you can use in your extended response. In an extended response, content knowledge isn't key - Argument is key, and so you just need to remember great evidence to back up that argument ;D you might want to check out this guide I wrote on putting together a strong argument in Legal!

Best of luck! ;D

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #612 on: February 20, 2017, 06:11:31 pm »
Hi, I was wondering if you could please explain me the difference between crimes against the international community and transnational crimes (under international crime). i struggle to differentiate between the two. Thank you :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #613 on: February 20, 2017, 09:07:11 pm »
+1
Hi, I was wondering if you could please explain me the difference between crimes against the international community and transnational crimes (under international crime). i struggle to differentiate between the two. Thank you :)

Hey! Sure thing ;D

So a transnational crime is a crime that literally crosses borders. Drug trafficking, piracy - Crimes that can occur across multiple countries or have effects in countries beyond the country it was committed in.

Crimes against humanity may only take place in a single country, BUT they are deemed so serious, that they are internationally condemned. This is beyond murder, or even mass murder: It is considered an attack against the global population (or part thereof). Genocide and apartheid are the two easiest examples of that (note that the definition is a little bit iffy depending on jurisdiction and purpose) :)

But that's the difference - Transnational crimes take place in multiple countries, crimes against humanity may not, but are the super serious ones. Both are considered a part of international crime, and both are handled in different ways ;D

Kirri Rule

• Trailblazer
  • School: Northern beaches christain school
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #614 on: February 21, 2017, 08:58:24 pm »
Practice.

Ahaha, I really wish I could give a longer more elaborate strategy, but practice is really the key ;D write some extended responses! Get feedback on them from a teacher, from a friend, or from us! Then work on improving it with the advice you are given :)

I'd also recommend you to make some evidence summaries; sheets which list all the LCTMR (Laws, Cases, Treaties, Media, Reports, and other evidence) you can use in your extended response. In an extended response, content knowledge isn't key - Argument is key, and so you just need to remember great evidence to back up that argument ;D you might want to check out this guide I wrote on putting together a strong argument in Legal!

Best of luck! ;D

The LCTMR is a really good idea that i haven't heard before thank you! But with that do you do that under each topic like human rights or crime, or is it for under subtopics of the cores??