Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:18:56 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 570989 times)  Share 

Becky234

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #555 on: December 09, 2016, 06:46:08 pm »
Thanks for the help, but I was wondering how does the case R v Singh relate to my question. So how do I relate it to my question.

Thanks

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #556 on: December 09, 2016, 07:12:04 pm »
Thanks for the help, but I was wondering how does the case R v Singh relate to my question. So how do I relate it to my question.

Thanks

You can read up on the case details here, but basically it was a very controversial case involving the defence of provocation! You can use it to discuss whether legal defences to murder adequately balance the rights of offenders with the rights of victims (many argue, in this case, the use of the defence was not just... you don't have to agree with that though) :)

asd987

• Forum Regular
« Reply #557 on: December 22, 2016, 11:36:39 pm »
Hi,
what topic or question do you think will be asked next?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #558 on: December 22, 2016, 11:53:18 pm »
+1
Hi,
what topic or question do you think will be asked next?

For the HSC? Ooft, it's honestly really hard to say, especially this far out. Every topic area has now been addressed, I wouldn't be surprised if they went general and just focused on a theme/challenge, perhaps law reform? Maybe like, "How has law reform enabled just outcomes?", or something?

Predictions will be much tougher this year (and they should never be taken as anything close to gospel anyway) :) at this stage, best to not worry much about predictions, the HSC is way too far away! Focus on learning all your content to the best of your ability ;D

Neilab

• Forum Regular
  • School: Riverside Girls High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #559 on: January 26, 2017, 03:36:29 pm »
What happens if you forget the year of the legislation? Is it best to leave it out or just make an estimate?

In terms of making summary notes etc... how do I file away topics in an oranganised fashion so that when i revisit them around trials I won't want to nek myself? I currently have 30 pages worth of summary notes for Human Rights and HSC questions from 1999 - 2016 aswell as HEAPS of mindmaps. I'm not quite sure if this will all be necessary when studying for 4 TOPICS when i get to the hsc! HELp

Mod Edit: Merged posts. You can use the 'Modify' button in the top right to add to your message if you need to! ;D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 03:38:00 pm by jamonwindeyer »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #560 on: January 26, 2017, 03:42:40 pm »
+1
What happens if you forget the year of the legislation? Is it best to leave it out or just make an estimate?

In terms of making summary notes etc... how do I file away topics in an oranganised fashion so that when i revisit them around trials I won't want to nek myself? I currently have 30 pages worth of summary notes for Human Rights and HSC questions from 1999 - 2016 aswell as HEAPS of mindmaps. I'm not quite sure if this will all be necessary when studying for 4 TOPICS when i get to the hsc! HELp

Hey Neilab!! ;D

If you forget the year but you are like, > 60% confident that you have a solid guess, then just guess. If you are completely clueless, just leave it out. That would be my advice ;D

Glad to hear you are keeping it all! Even if you don't use it, at least you have it. I recommend getting one of these bad boys for each subject:

Then you can use dividers to separate topics, then just have a plastic sleeve for your notes, a sleeve for practice questions - Etc etc, whatever works! I used these to keep my bits of paper that could once be useful! ;D you should be able to fold up your mind maps to fit in a plastic sleeve in one of these two :)

phebsh

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #561 on: January 26, 2017, 04:17:00 pm »
Hey!

As for human rights and our contemporary issue, what kind of info will we need to know going into an exam? I'm using human trafficking and slavery as mine..

Thanks!
2017 HSC
Advanced English ~ Advanced Mathematics ~ Biology ~ Business Studies ~ Legal Studies

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #562 on: January 26, 2017, 04:55:17 pm »
Hey!

As for human rights and our contemporary issue, what kind of info will we need to know going into an exam? I'm using human trafficking and slavery as mine..

Thanks!

In a basic sense, you'll need to know:

- What it is, including maybe some stats
- Legislation
- Cases
- Other responses to the issue

Those things should cover you! To give you an idea, here are my human rights notes. The last page is all I had for my contemporary issue ;D

phebsh

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #563 on: January 26, 2017, 05:02:51 pm »
In a basic sense, you'll need to know:

- What it is, including maybe some stats
- Legislation
- Cases
- Other responses to the issue

Those things should cover you! To give you an idea, here are my human rights notes. The last page is all I had for my contemporary issue ;D

Great, thanks so much!

Is this topic found to be a common essay question in the HSC? Or is something like that super difficult to predict?

I did Human Rights in term 1 so I think it'll be my extended response question in my half yearlys...
2017 HSC
Advanced English ~ Advanced Mathematics ~ Biology ~ Business Studies ~ Legal Studies

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #564 on: January 26, 2017, 05:08:29 pm »
+1
Great, thanks so much!

Is this topic found to be a common essay question in the HSC? Or is something like that super difficult to predict?

I did Human Rights in term 1 so I think it'll be my extended response question in my half yearlys...

Super common - The contemporary issue is assessed at least 50% of the time in the HSC Exams:

2016: Yes
2015: No
2014: No
2013: Yes

And this is just direct references - You can use the knowledge in other responses too! So yep, super relevant ;D

Rathin

• Trendsetter
  • Arthur Phillip High School
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #565 on: January 26, 2017, 05:20:18 pm »
Jamon I just realised I had downloaded your yr 11 Legal Studies notes! They were freaking awesome...I really didn't care about legal too much as I was going to drop it after yr 11 but I did like learning it..but didn't revise or study it LOL..weird I know. I crammed your notes and memorised everything in about 1 day before the yearlies and managed a 96% and rank 1st. Still dropped the subject lel...Thanks JAMON :D haha..nearly duxed yr 11 because of your notes. 
2017 HSC
4u | 3u | Physics | Biology | Adv Eng | PDHPE

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #566 on: January 26, 2017, 05:41:48 pm »
Jamon I just realised I had downloaded your yr 11 Legal Studies notes! They were freaking awesome...I really didn't care about legal too much as I was going to drop it after yr 11 but I did like learning it..but didn't revise or study it LOL..weird I know. I crammed your notes and memorised everything in about 1 day before the yearlies and managed a 96% and rank 1st. Still dropped the subject lel...Thanks JAMON :D haha..nearly duxed yr 11 because of your notes.

Oh you are definitely welcome!! Very glad they were helpful! ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #567 on: January 26, 2017, 08:51:55 pm »
+1

Glad to hear you are keeping it all! Even if you don't use it, at least you have it. I recommend getting one of these bad boys for each subject:

(Image removed from quote.)

Then you can use dividers to separate topics, then just have a plastic sleeve for your notes, a sleeve for practice questions - Etc etc, whatever works! I used these to keep my bits of paper that could once be useful! ;D you should be able to fold up your mind maps to fit in a plastic sleeve in one of these two :)

Can vouch for these bad boys!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

kneehaha

• Adventurer
« Reply #568 on: January 27, 2017, 07:02:46 pm »
Hey, I have to complete an essay in relation to the question "Evaluate the effectiveness of sentencing and punishment as a means of achieving justice"

Intro: A sentence is an penalty which a court issues out to one who has pleaded guilty or is found guilty of an offence. The judge or magistrate decides on the appropriate sentence according to the statutory and judicial guidelines. In the process of achieving justice, there are limitations which prevent the achievement of justice and there are also factors which help ensure that justice is achieved.

P1:There are many limitations which prevent the achievement of justice in sentencing and punishment. One of these limitations include the reality of victim impact statements possibly doing more harm than good.

P2: Another limitation includes types of penalties and post sentencing considerations

P3: However, there are factors that help ensure the achievement of justice in sentencing and punishment which includes the use of certain judicial and statutory limits to protect from bias

P4: Another factor to help ensure the achievement of justice includes the victim impact statements. A victim impact statement is a written or oral statement read to the court which outlines the full effect the crime had on the victim and in some cases, outlines the full effect on the family. One advantage of the statement is that is can be made by a member of the victim’s family if the victim has died. This is an advantage as it allows the effect of the crime to be brought up to the court’s attention regardless and helps to ensure justice as the victim’s or their family’s impact will not be left unheard. The statement generates sympathy and certain details and information which were not made clear prior to the statement, may explain the extent to which to crime truly impacted the victim and/or their family especially when if the perpretrator had pleaded guilty and the judge has has no opportunity to hear the victim’s evidence. This will then argue that society would benefit if the offender stayed in prison. Another benefit from a victim impact statement is the fact that is provides the victim a role in the court process which gives the victim and society greater confidence in the legal system. Lastly, this action also assists in the rehabilitation process of the offence as during the reading, the offender gets to hear his or hers impact of their actions.

P5: Lastly, alternative forms of sentencing are beneficial for certain members of society, for example for indigenous and youths, and are additional factors to help ensure justice in relation to sentencing and punishment.

Conclusion:

i was wondering if i could get feedback on what i have so far and key points which i can use to ensure the essay flows and is fulfils the needs of the marker.

Thank you!

sameeraaa1

• Adventurer
« Reply #569 on: January 27, 2017, 09:13:33 pm »
Hey!

Analyse the effectiveness of measures which deal with crimes against the international community. Make sure you include LMCID where appropriate(Max 250 words)

I am currently doing this question for a legal studies Webquest I'm doing, and I just wanted to ask - besides the ICC & ICJ, what are some other measures which deal with crimes against the international community that I should include in my answer? (that I can easily discuss the effectiveness of)

Thanks heaps x
HSC '17 -
English Advanced
English Extension 1
Legal Studies
Modern History
History Extension
Studies of Religion 1
General Maths