Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:03:07 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 567998 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #525 on: November 01, 2016, 11:33:42 pm »
Government organisations are legal responses correct ?

Like IGO's? Yep, those are a legal response ;D

Deng

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #526 on: November 01, 2016, 11:43:01 pm »
Thanks, also for law reform can i aruge the introduction of the Young Offenders Act/ Childrens (Criminal Proceedings)/ Children's COurt Act were all introduced to meet society's view on young offenders. Not sure if that is the type of 'law reform' they want
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #527 on: November 01, 2016, 11:54:26 pm »
Thanks, also for law reform can i aruge the introduction of the Young Offenders Act/ Childrens (Criminal Proceedings)/ Children's COurt Act were all introduced to meet society's view on young offenders. Not sure if that is the type of 'law reform' they want

Yeah definitely! The Young Offender's Act particularly is worthy of mention for a law reform response. The thing with law reform and young offenders is that a lot of the useful reforms are now quite 'old,' but the YOA is the best one to mention and analyse of all the big pieces of legislation ;D

Rd2487

• Adventurer
  • School: Glenwood High School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #528 on: November 02, 2016, 12:16:23 am »
Does anyone know if regulating contractual relationship between buyers and sellers be considered as a whole issue to talk about? Like unconscionable contracts, warranties in terms and conditions etc

tomwatson20

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #529 on: November 02, 2016, 06:17:44 am »
+2
Thanks Jamon!

Good luck to everyone today... Kill it!!!!

Tom

caitlinjovanovska

• Adventurer
« Reply #530 on: November 07, 2016, 07:43:37 pm »
Hi!
I was just wondering what would be some good cases and media articles regarding police powers and the criminal investigation process? My essay question is 'Explain how the criminal investigation process can create tension between community interests and individual rights and freedoms.'

Thanks heaps!! :)

davidss

• Adventurer
« Reply #531 on: November 12, 2016, 12:12:30 pm »
Could someone please help me with what the mens rea was in the Loveridge case. Thanks in advanced :D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #532 on: November 12, 2016, 02:35:09 pm »
Could someone please help me with what the mens rea was in the Loveridge case. Thanks in advanced :D

Hey David! Well that's an interesting one to ask, it is arguable; but my opinion would be that the offender was not seeking to end the life of the victim. Although there is an attribution of causation, there was no intent. That said, the offender should have recognised the danger and criminality of their actions, meaning that I would put it under recklessness.

The exact 'level' of recklessness involved, and thus the type of manslaughter assigned to the offender's actions, is much less obvious and more a matter of opinion :) hope this helps!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #533 on: November 12, 2016, 02:46:23 pm »
Hi!
I was just wondering what would be some good cases and media articles regarding police powers and the criminal investigation process? My essay question is 'Explain how the criminal investigation process can create tension between community interests and individual rights and freedoms.'

Thanks heaps!! :)

Hey Caitlin! Welcome to the forums! Sorry no one had this answered for you, I've been on exams the last few days and I've only just spotted you now :)

Try this, this and this, some good articles raising the issues of terrorism laws, bail and police powers. In general, check out our media article library for more! :)

SSSS

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #534 on: November 12, 2016, 09:04:56 pm »
Hey. For my first assessment, we are completing an essay on crime. I am confused however with the syllabus, as potential 15 markers are some of the questions on the right of the syllabus. But which ones would be essay because for instance adversary wouldn't be a question? Thanks!

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #535 on: November 12, 2016, 09:40:27 pm »
Hey. For my first assessment, we are completing an essay on crime. I am confused however with the syllabus, as potential 15 markers are some of the questions on the right of the syllabus. But which ones would be essay because for instance adversary wouldn't be a question? Thanks!

Hey SSSS,

For legal studies essays, the question does tend to stem from the learn to's or from a theme and challenge (which can be connected to a specific part of the syllabus - e.g. discretion in sentencing and punishment). Possible questions usually have a directive verb that is higher order i.e. "evaluate, assess etc." and sometimes "examine, discuss or explain." as well as a dot point that is 'meaty' enough for an essay (should have points for and against with enough evidence to back up argument) so generally essays don't come out of the first dot point (nature of crime) but most of the other dot points are fair game.

It should be noted that many essays also have a quote that must be evaluated and integrated throughout the essay.

Hope this helps and gives a rough idea of essay questions - although don't take my word for it, definitely wait for a moderator to confirm!

Good luck :)
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #536 on: November 13, 2016, 09:49:17 am »

Hey SSSS! In addition to Isaac's awesome answer, I'll just accentuate the fact that you'll never get a Crime Essay on the Nature of Crime dot point. All other sections, as well as the themes and challenges, are definitely possible, and they can be quite broad or they can hone in on a specific thing (EG - One of the HSC Trial questions in 2016 was on complete and partial defences to murder) :)

Oh, and the benefits of the adversary system could be a question, albeit a very mean and strange one ;) ultimately you do need to know everything well and prepare for the worst! BOSTES is moving towards very specific essay questions in English, and it is very possible that will translate to the humanities very soon :)

...although don't take my word for it, definitely wait for a moderator to confirm!

Note to All: Everyone should always take Isaac's word for everything ;)

SSSS

• Forum Regular
« Reply #537 on: November 13, 2016, 04:26:00 pm »
+1
Thanks so mcuh guys!! Much appreciated  ;D

SSSS

• Forum Regular
« Reply #538 on: November 22, 2016, 11:19:05 pm »
Hey! I was wondering with the themes and challenges, how do I incorporate them in my study to prepare for an in class essay?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #539 on: November 22, 2016, 11:58:40 pm »
Hey! I was wondering with the themes and challenges, how do I incorporate them in my study to prepare for an in class essay?

Hey SSSS! There are all sorts of things you can do, but it should be along the same lines as what you are doing already. For example, for Legal I used to put together tables/lists with legislation and cases and such. If you wanted to specifically prepare for themes and challenges, you could take a table and add some colour coding, linking your points to the different themes! Or you could write out essay plans for each theme/challenge, so you specifically get practice of using your evidence to address those areas!

Ultimately, your best bet is to write practice essays. There is no better way to prepare. Set yourself a question (EG - Evaluate the effectiveness of law reform in balancing the rights of victims, offenders and society) and respond to it under exam conditions. Evaluate yourself, or let us mark you, figure out if there are any shortfalls in your knowledge!

I know it's a little lame, but practice does make perfect :) :) :)