Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:11:00 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568112 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #510 on: November 01, 2016, 08:26:13 pm »
ahah just kidding Jamon, im prepped!

Ahaha I thought so! Best of luck ;)

Elenaa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #511 on: November 01, 2016, 08:39:11 pm »
Domestic violence could be one thing to mention. Amendments to the bail Act 1978 (nsw) holds presumptions against granting bail to repeat domestic violence offenders, courts establish refuge camps for women and children who are victims of DV, etc. It isn't exactly resolving conflict but it definitely helps prevent domestic violence from occurring as often as it would.

Hey! ;D You could add domestic violence to that list and have your three paragraphs! Domestic Violence is perhaps the most serious of family conflicts!

Thanks ! :)

Deng

• Trendsetter
« Reply #512 on: November 01, 2016, 08:43:13 pm »
Wondering, how many marks would i lose for not having dates for cases/legislation ( i have a lot and my brain is pretty fried so having trouble remembering all the dates, i have the key ones memorised however )
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #513 on: November 01, 2016, 08:47:51 pm »
Wondering, how many marks would i lose for not having dates for cases/legislation ( i have a lot and my brain is pretty fried so having trouble remembering all the dates, i have the key ones memorised however )

Likely not many, probably like one mark maximum provided everything else is okay! Not putting dates for cases/laws isn't going to be considered a big deal in the grand scheme of things :)

nickglyn

• Trailblazer
« Reply #514 on: November 01, 2016, 08:49:30 pm »
When an Australian commits a crime when they're overseas, how do we know which country has jurisdiction over that persons punishment? Or does it fall into the category of international law? I get so confused with this type of question!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:52:03 pm by nickglyn »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #515 on: November 01, 2016, 08:58:19 pm »
When an Australian commits a crime when they're overseas, how do we know which country has jurisdiction over that persons punishment? Or does it fall into the category of international law? I get so confused with this type of question!

Australia has agreements with certain countries for such acts to be prosecuted under our laws. In others, it is their laws (EG - recent executions in Indonesia).

Don't worry, they won't ask you a question that requires knowledge of this. They will always give you a clue as to which it is (this has been done before, they asked what type of law was applied, but they had said that the offender was prosecuted under a crime defined within Australian legislation. Therefore, it was domestic law) :)

nickglyn

• Trailblazer
« Reply #516 on: November 01, 2016, 09:03:05 pm »
+1
Yeah the question you're inferring is the basis of my question haha! Okay sweet thanks for that

tomwatson20

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #517 on: November 01, 2016, 09:05:10 pm »
Hey!

Was just wondering what type of law best protects human rights in Australia,

statute or common?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #518 on: November 01, 2016, 09:16:54 pm »
Hey!

Was just wondering what type of law best protects human rights in Australia,

statute or common?

Hey Tom! Welcome to the forums!! There is no right or wrong answer to that; I'd personally say common because it is flexible and allows application of ethical standards in a way that suits the contemporary sociocultural climate :) but then statutes are enforceable! You could argue either ;D

nay103

• Adventurer
« Reply #519 on: November 01, 2016, 09:19:40 pm »
Hey Tom! Welcome to the forums!! There is no right or wrong answer to that; I'd personally say common because it is flexible and allows application of ethical standards in a way that suits the contemporary sociocultural climate :) but then statutes are enforceable! You could argue either ;D

But Jamon, I swear I've seen so many multiple choice questions about that... I always thought it was common law (as you said, more flexible) and some previous mc questions had that as the answer. but today i was going through HSC checkpoint legal studies and it had statute law as the answer
:(
HSC 2016: Subjects:
| English Advanced | English Extension 1 | Mathematics Extension I | Mathematics Extension 2 | Legal Studies | Physics | Heritage Japanese |

2015:
| Mind and Morality |

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #520 on: November 01, 2016, 09:24:16 pm »
But Jamon, I swear I've seen so many multiple choice questions about that... I always thought it was common law (as you said, more flexible) and some previous mc questions had that as the answer. but today i was going through HSC checkpoint legal studies and it had statute law as the answer
:(

A HSC Legal Studies question can't ask you something like "what is more effective," because that is totally dependent on your criteria and the argument you are thinking :) like the other thing about Australia is that we don't have specific human rights legislation, so the comparison is kind of stupid to begin with, because our human rights laws are "hidden" within other statutes! :)

You won't get such a subjective question tomorrow, don't stress!

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #521 on: November 01, 2016, 10:12:02 pm »
Likely not many, probably like one mark maximum provided everything else is okay! Not putting dates for cases/laws isn't going to be considered a big deal in the grand scheme of things :)

Hey Jamon,

In saying this, is it better to make up a date that could be within the ball park or to leave it out completely??
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

AFix

• Trailblazer
« Reply #522 on: November 01, 2016, 10:35:17 pm »
Hey Jamon,

In saying this, is it better to make up a date that could be within the ball park or to leave it out completely??

Best to leave it out completely IMO.  Better to show the marker that you're unsure about something instead of conveying that you simply know the wrong information.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #523 on: November 01, 2016, 10:35:40 pm »
Hey Jamon,

Hey Isaac! I'd say if you are semi-confident then go for it! ;D as I said, they aren't going to be like, "OMG, the FLA was 1975 not 1985, you lose a mark." It's not like that, they want to give you marks ;D

Best to leave it out completely IMO.  Better to show the marker that you're unsure about something instead of conveying that you simply know the wrong information.

Yeah I suppose, but I think that taking a stab is definitely okay. Like obviously both are secondary to knowing the right thing! But like, the effect of reading no date and an incorrect one would be identical; they won't punish you further for it being incorrect as opposed to it not being there at all :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 10:38:04 pm by jamonwindeyer »

Deng

• Trendsetter
« Reply #524 on: November 01, 2016, 11:25:37 pm »
Government organisations are legal responses correct ?
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88