Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:56:24 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568175 times)  Share 

AFix

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #405 on: October 29, 2016, 02:54:31 pm »
Has anyone ever realised that if you accidentally misspell united it becomes the oxymoron?

(weird things happen when you study too much legal)

Wouldn't it be more ironic and than oxymoronic?  But still, good find!

Deng

• Trendsetter
« Reply #406 on: October 29, 2016, 03:25:47 pm »
Would there be enough information for BOSTES to specify

Exaime the role of legal rep in the criminal trial

Evaluate the effectiveness of the jury system in the criminal trial

English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #407 on: October 29, 2016, 03:56:39 pm »

I doubt both of these - but the second seems more likely than the first! Perhaps the role of partiality...the role of the rule of law...any of these things would encompass these, although I have considered before that they'd be wildly specific on the role of the jury. I'd say it's extremely unlikely but not impossible.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #408 on: October 29, 2016, 04:23:22 pm »
I've been hearing a lot about the Iraqi invasion into Mosul to get ISIS out of its stronghold. I thought this would be a really useful case for World Order. But I am not sure in what part of the syllabus I could discuss this?

I think that it work well pretty much everywhere! Just another case study that you can use, based on my limited knowledge I'd imagine it would be pretty versatile ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #409 on: October 29, 2016, 04:26:21 pm »

The jury question has come up in Trials before... Don't rule it out completely  8)

angiezhang9

• Trailblazer
  • School: arden
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #410 on: October 29, 2016, 04:33:55 pm »
I think that it work well pretty much everywhere! Just another case study that you can use, based on my limited knowledge I'd imagine it would be pretty versatile ;D

Thanks Jamon :)

With case studies, can you do a paragraph based on a case and discuss issues of sovereignty/ failure of UN.... or is it better to discuss the issue and support it with the example. Does this make sense?

Also, do cases such as Rwanda 1994, Bosnia 1995 count as contemporary examples? If not, would it be a good idea to still use them or would it be better to find 2015-16 examples?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #411 on: October 29, 2016, 04:36:19 pm »
Thanks Jamon :)

With case studies, can you do a paragraph based on a case and discuss issues of sovereignty/ failure of UN.... or is it better to discuss the issue and support it with the example. Does this make sense?

Also, do cases such as Rwanda 1994, Bosnia 1995 count as contemporary examples? If not, would it be a good idea to still use them or would it be better to find 2015-16 examples?

Do you mean like, issue based paragraphs, or case-study based paragraphs? Both work!! ;D totally depends on your preferences, I've seen 20/20's in both styles :)

Hmm, I'd say those are probably just a tad too old now, though you could use them as additional evidence! I like to keep my World Order examples fairly contemporary, the last 5-6 years if possible :) :) :)

Deng

• Trendsetter
« Reply #412 on: October 29, 2016, 05:02:54 pm »
I know none of the moderators had consumer law as their option topic but i was wondering if they knew how to prepare for it, the textbooks and my own resources/internet is fairly limited compared to my family and crime prep

Also, what are some good tips to rote learn essay plans from now till wednesday ?

Thanks
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #413 on: October 29, 2016, 05:07:50 pm »
I know none of the moderators had consumer law as their option topic but i was wondering if they knew how to prepare for it, the textbooks and my own resources/internet is fairly limited compared to my family and crime prep

Also, what are some good tips to rote learn essay plans from now till wednesday ?

Thanks

On the essay plans, your best bet is seriously to just be writing the essays. Like you can sit and just read your essay plan over and over if you want, but I think writing the essay you are planning is the way to make it stick! Plus, writing practice essays is just the best way to prepare for the Legal Studies Exam, full stop ;)

angiezhang9

• Trailblazer
  • School: arden
« Reply #414 on: October 29, 2016, 05:27:49 pm »
Do you mean like, issue based paragraphs, or case-study based paragraphs? Both work!! ;D totally depends on your preferences, I've seen 20/20's in both styles :)

Hmm, I'd say those are probably just a tad too old now, though you could use them as additional evidence! I like to keep my World Order examples fairly contemporary, the last 5-6 years if possible :) :) :)

That's good to know, Thanks!

Rd2487

• Adventurer
  • School: Glenwood High School
« Reply #415 on: October 29, 2016, 05:45:16 pm »
Hi Jamon
I have this practice essay question - "To what extent does the jury system achieve justice?". So for this i handwrote my essay. So will it be fine if i talked about some of issues concerning Juries such as in Bilal skaf case. And what about charge negotiation, could i include that as well. Its really that i think i  don't have enough cases and media to suit this question.

Thanks

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #416 on: October 29, 2016, 06:04:09 pm »
Hi Jamon
I have this practice essay question - "To what extent does the jury system achieve justice?". So for this i handwrote my essay. So will it be fine if i talked about some of issues concerning Juries such as in Bilal skaf case. And what about charge negotiation, could i include that as well. Its really that i think i  don't have enough cases and media to suit this question.

Thanks

Hey there! That sounds good to me; charge negotiation could work if you link it to undermining the juries ability to achieve justice, because it prevents them from needing to offer a verdict/consider the evidence. Be sure you are discussing the Jury Amendment Act (2006) and how it eliminated a need for all jurors to vote the same way! :) it's a super specific question, so I totally understand the lack of evidence! Picking some good cases and analysing the above act would be a great start :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 06:09:26 pm by jamonwindeyer »

Deng

• Trendsetter
« Reply #417 on: October 29, 2016, 06:07:56 pm »
Hey Jamon, i was wondering what the Jury AMendment Act (2010) provided, i thought the 11-1 vote came under the Jury (Verdict) Amendment ACt 2006 (NSW)

English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #418 on: October 29, 2016, 06:09:49 pm »
Hey Jamon, i was wondering what the Jury AMendment Act (2010) provided, i thought the 11-1 vote came under the Jury (Verdict) Amendment ACt 2006 (NSW)

Ahh right you are Deng, I misspoke. Just fixed the post above. Thanks for that! ;D

Deng

• Trendsetter
« Reply #419 on: October 29, 2016, 09:59:28 pm »
IF the essay was on young offenders and law reform and assuming it was an evaluate the effectiveness essay would these points be alright to talk about

--> Young Offenders Act 1997, link how that legislation was created due to growing societal concerns on the welfare of children (? not sure if that is the actual reason) and then talk about how it establised YJC, and the 3 tier system, statistics showing that it is effective in rehabilitating children and reducing recidivism

--> Bail Amednment Act 2013 and how it removed limitations on multiple bail applications for young offenders which was imposed by the Bail Amendment Act 2007 and then stat how the removal of the limitations saw an increase in incarceration

--> Third point would be the introduction of the Children's Court Act 1997 to better meet the needs of dealing with children in the CJS

Thanks
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88