Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:50:14 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568020 times)  Share 

Deng

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #390 on: October 28, 2016, 08:45:29 pm »
Just wondering if anyone has any case law/media articles/stats on consumer law.
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

atar27

• Forum Regular
« Reply #391 on: October 28, 2016, 09:18:56 pm »
Heyyyyy!! How would you set out paragraphs for a young offenders law reform essay question?
Thanks in advance

caninesandy

• Trailblazer
« Reply #392 on: October 28, 2016, 10:40:36 pm »
Hey guys! :D
I am trying to figuring out the difference (if there is one) between charge negotiation and plea bargaining but I keep getting myself confused, fail haha!
Thanks in advance!  ;D
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you He will not fail you or forsake you."

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #393 on: October 28, 2016, 11:13:24 pm »
Hey guys! :D
I am trying to figuring out the difference (if there is one) between charge negotiation and plea bargaining but I keep getting myself confused, fail haha!
Thanks in advance!  ;D

Hey! My knowledge is that they are completely identical terms :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #394 on: October 28, 2016, 11:16:11 pm »
Heyyyyy!! How would you set out paragraphs for a young offenders law reform essay question?
Thanks in advance

With great difficulty ;)

But seriously, I'd probably be looking at 3 key pieces of law reform that concern the area of Young Offenders.  Young Offenders Act would get one of them; the other two would be up to your research and choices. At least, that's how I would do it.

To be honest, if I saw this question in my HSC, I would not have been happy :P

atar27

• Forum Regular
« Reply #395 on: October 29, 2016, 01:17:06 am »
With great difficulty ;)

But seriously, I'd probably be looking at 3 key pieces of law reform that concern the area of Young Offenders.  Young Offenders Act would get one of them; the other two would be up to your research and choices. At least, that's how I would do it.

To be honest, if I saw this question in my HSC, I would not have been happy :P

Has the criminal trial process been tested yet.. or is that a possibility for this year as well?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #396 on: October 29, 2016, 08:47:07 am »
Has the criminal trial process been tested yet.. or is that a possibility for this year as well?

2012 had this little nifty question:

2012: To what extent are courts the only means of achieving justice within the criminal justice system?

So that was tested, but it was a while ago and perhaps not in the most conventional way. It's a possibility (but so is everything in the syllabus) :)

angiezhang9

• Trailblazer
  • School: arden
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #397 on: October 29, 2016, 09:39:50 am »
I've been hearing a lot about the Iraqi invasion into Mosul to get ISIS out of its stronghold. I thought this would be a really useful case for World Order. But I am not sure in what part of the syllabus I could discuss this?

Deng

• Trendsetter
« Reply #398 on: October 29, 2016, 10:46:41 am »
For Human Rights, do i need to know every single development of human rights ( abolition of slavery, peace rights, trade unions etc ) also in the exam how would i know if im meant to be talking about contemporary issue or development of human rights for example in my trial i had an 8 marker that said explain how changing values have been reflected in the promotion and enforcement of one human rights issues and a majority of my class was confused on whether we were suppose to talk about contemp or development
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

Essej

• Forum Regular
  • "Don't settle for good. Strive for great".
« Reply #399 on: October 29, 2016, 12:13:54 pm »
For Human Rights, do i need to know every single development of human rights ( abolition of slavery, peace rights, trade unions etc ) also in the exam how would i know if im meant to be talking about contemporary issue or development of human rights for example in my trial i had an 8 marker that said explain how changing values have been reflected in the promotion and enforcement of one human rights issues and a majority of my class was confused on whether we were suppose to talk about contemp or development

Hey Deng!

I do think its important to know the development of each individual right as they can ask you on it - I was lucky enough to have a question in my trial JUST on universal suffrage - however these sorts of questions wouldn't be worth more than say 4-5 marks. The marker just wants to see a progression with a few key dates; for reference, i used in my trial:
Universal Suffrage (Right to Vote):
- Women's suffrage societies in Australian colonies during the 1890s
- 1894 - SA women granted voting rights
- 1928 - British women given right to vote
- 1948 - UDHR Article 21 protects the right to vote for all people

For the other part of your question, i suggest looking at Question 24 on the 2013 HSC paper, pretty much the exact same question. The marking guidelines stipulate, for the full 7 marks for this question you should include:

- Reference to international instruments, human rights documents and domestic legislation which seek to enforce a particular human right issue.
- Reference to the role of various non-government organizations as well as print media, social media, film and television to illustrate the way in which changing values are reflected in the promotion of a human right issue.

When doing this, i looked at the issue of discrimination as it was easy to incorporate the evolution of statutory law (ie Racial Discrimination Act 1975) and International Law (UDHR) and how changing attitudes towards the aboriginal people, women and homosexuality etc. are reflected in the promotion/enforcement of human rights.

Hope this helps !
Class of 2016
------------------------
English Advanced: 93
Legal Studies: 96
Economics: 93
Business Studies: 92
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 93

2016 ATAR: 98.75

Deng

• Trendsetter
« Reply #400 on: October 29, 2016, 12:55:52 pm »
Hey Deng!

I do think its important to know the development of each individual right as they can ask you on it - I was lucky enough to have a question in my trial JUST on universal suffrage - however these sorts of questions wouldn't be worth more than say 4-5 marks. The marker just wants to see a progression with a few key dates; for reference, i used in my trial:
Universal Suffrage (Right to Vote):
- Women's suffrage societies in Australian colonies during the 1890s
- 1894 - SA women granted voting rights
- 1928 - British women given right to vote
- 1948 - UDHR Article 21 protects the right to vote for all people

For the other part of your question, i suggest looking at Question 24 on the 2013 HSC paper, pretty much the exact same question. The marking guidelines stipulate, for the full 7 marks for this question you should include:

- Reference to international instruments, human rights documents and domestic legislation which seek to enforce a particular human right issue.
- Reference to the role of various non-government organizations as well as print media, social media, film and television to illustrate the way in which changing values are reflected in the promotion of a human right issue.

When doing this, i looked at the issue of discrimination as it was easy to incorporate the evolution of statutory law (ie Racial Discrimination Act 1975) and International Law (UDHR) and how changing attitudes towards the aboriginal people, women and homosexuality etc. are reflected in the promotion/enforcement of human rights.

Hope this helps !

So, when you say you taked about discrimination youres saying you dont necessarily have to focus on a human rights issue that is part of the syllabus?
So for example i can talk about same-sex marriage and as long as i answer the questions i can still get full marks ?
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

Elenaa

• Trailblazer
« Reply #401 on: October 29, 2016, 01:28:39 pm »
Hi !
For this question, "Evaluate the effectiveness of legal and non-legal responses to the issue of the changing nature of parental responsibility,"the legal responses its mainly just laws and law reforms right?? so i don't know how to split it into two different paragraphs or two different ideas? Like what would be an idea i could talk about in each of the paragraphs?

Thanks

aoife98

• Trailblazer
  • School: Bethlehem College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #402 on: October 29, 2016, 01:50:29 pm »
For a question evaluating international crime, what's the best way to scaffold it/umbrella pros and cons?

Essej

• Forum Regular
  • "Don't settle for good. Strive for great".
« Reply #403 on: October 29, 2016, 02:21:59 pm »

So, when you say you taked about discrimination youres saying you dont necessarily have to focus on a human rights issue that is part of the syllabus?
So for example i can talk about same-sex marriage and as long as i answer the questions i can still get full marks ?

The marking criteria doesn't state you need to, just says "refer to a specific issue", so i don't see why you couldn't get full marks for something like discrimination - I found it much easier to use than the abolition of slavery and suffrage as it is more applicable in our modern context. Ensure you use discrimination specifically however, same-sex marriage promotion would stem from that.

Class of 2016
------------------------
English Advanced: 93
Legal Studies: 96
Economics: 93
Business Studies: 92
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 93

2016 ATAR: 98.75

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #404 on: October 29, 2016, 02:41:02 pm »
Has anyone ever realised that if you accidentally misspell united it becomes the oxymoron?

(weird things happen when you study too much legal)
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95