Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:20:08 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568143 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #360 on: October 26, 2016, 06:05:53 pm »
Hey Elyse, i was just wondering how to fully prepare for the option topics. The questions are scattered and are too specific (from past papers), how should i approach the option questions?

In my study, the most effective method I employed was getting a whiteboard (a piece of paper works too) and throwing up something from the right hand side of the syllabus. Then, I'd act as though that's an essay topic and just brainstorm everything I can think of to do with the topic - cases, legislation, facts, effectiveness, etc. This is good because it helps you prepare essays quickly (without having to actually do the full essay), it helps brings things to revision, but it also highlights the spots that are weak for you, so that you know where to go back and study more! I think this is a really effective method.

Obviously, brushing up on cases, legislation, international documents, etc, will all really help in an exam. I think if you use the above method, you'll work out quickly where you are lacking so you can hone in on those areas and improve before the exam comes around :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

caninesandy

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #361 on: October 26, 2016, 06:34:51 pm »
It's a little complex in NSW; you'll find explicit definitions of robbery in other states specify the use of force. NSW kind of distinguishes that as well, but they do also distinguish pickpocketing (stealing from the person) from larceny too. So it's a complicated one :P

Don't stress too much about this by the way, the HSC won't push a little subtlety in definition like this ;D it's great that you are considering it though!

Gotcha :D Thank you :)
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you He will not fail you or forsake you."

Deng

• Trendsetter
« Reply #362 on: October 26, 2016, 11:03:25 pm »
I am a bit rusty with my legal ( havent touched it since ive been revising eco/legal ) and was wondering for crime how much of the syllabus should i bother to re visit, my multiple choices seem fine ( averaging 17+), and i have essay plans for each of the 5 units for crime.

Thanks
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #363 on: October 26, 2016, 11:20:27 pm »
I am a bit rusty with my legal ( havent touched it since ive been revising eco/legal ) and was wondering for crime how much of the syllabus should i bother to re visit, my multiple choices seem fine ( averaging 17+), and i have essay plans for each of the 5 units for crime.

Thanks

Hey Deng! Sounds like you are pretty on top of it. Put priority on everything except the "Nature of Crime" section, since they won't draw essay questions from there. Besides that, keep on top of everything, especially Young Offenders. It hasn't been asked in the Crime essay yet so it's a definite candidate :)

Deng

• Trendsetter
« Reply #364 on: October 26, 2016, 11:25:31 pm »
Thanks Jamon!

Also, can i get some clarification on this MC

Solutions say D, but i thought if the accussed enters into a charge negotiation it skips the whole trial process in general ( since accussed is guilty, no need for trial to prove guilt )m so why would the judge have to consider it

Or does it mean consider as in consider its weight in reducing the sentence for the accussed ?
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

Adam.Stephanou

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #365 on: October 26, 2016, 11:36:48 pm »
Hey, when you say the questions for the crime 15 marker wont be sourced from the chapter "The nature of crime", does that mean they won't ask a question in regards to categories of crimes? Thanks!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #366 on: October 26, 2016, 11:38:38 pm »
Hey, when you say the questions for the crime 15 marker wont be sourced from the chapter "The nature of crime", does that mean they won't ask a question in regards to categories of crimes? Thanks!!

Welcome to the forums Adam! ;D

Correct; I mean you might want to mention it as part of your argument or something, but definitely not. They'd never give you an essay question just on the categories :) it will almost definitely be in the MC though, going off prior years! ;D

Adam.Stephanou

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #367 on: October 26, 2016, 11:40:24 pm »
+1
Thanks so much!! I will definitely keep in mind that it will most certainly be asked in MC!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #368 on: October 26, 2016, 11:46:30 pm »
Thanks Jamon!

Also, can i get some clarification on this MC

Solutions say D, but i thought if the accussed enters into a charge negotiation it skips the whole trial process in general ( since accussed is guilty, no need for trial to prove guilt )m so why would the judge have to consider it

Or does it mean consider as in consider its weight in reducing the sentence for the accussed ?

No worries! This is just one to remember; charge negotiations are not just automatically accepted by a judge, because that isn't quite how it works. The Trial Process isn't skipped, because a guilty verdict is entered and the judge then considers that in sentencing.

It's a little roundabout. A judge doesn't HAVE to accept a plea bargain, and the extent to which it impacts on the sentence can vary. For that reason, we say the judge considers the agreement. It's just the more correct way of expressing how it works.

I agree that this question is tough though, don't fret if it doesn't quite sit right, because it didn't for me at the time either! :P

Adam.Stephanou

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #369 on: October 27, 2016, 12:13:14 am »
Could they ask a Themes and Challenge question in regards to a specific area of a topic? Such as "Discuss the role of discretion in the criminal trial process?". Or would they always use themes and challenges in a broad sense?? Such as "Discuss the role of law reform in the criminal justice system?" Because if they specify it then I think I would freak out hahah! Also this question applies to the themes and challenges in my elective topics; Family and Shelter. Thanks!!!

Deng

• Trendsetter
« Reply #370 on: October 27, 2016, 12:42:41 am »
Could they ask a Themes and Challenge question in regards to a specific area of a topic? Such as "Discuss the role of discretion in the criminal trial process?". Or would they always use themes and challenges in a broad sense?? Such as "Discuss the role of law reform in the criminal justice system?" Because if they specify it then I think I would freak out hahah! Also this question applies to the themes and challenges in my elective topics; Family and Shelter. Thanks!!!

Im not entirely sure but i feel like BOSTES could be specific and ask the role of discretion in the criminal trial process since a theme and challenge is discretion in the criminal justice system ( which would encapsualte the trial process anyways )
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

Deng

• Trendsetter
« Reply #371 on: October 27, 2016, 12:43:43 am »
Hey guys, im wondering if anyone has harder examples of HR questions that they can share for practice

Thanks
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #372 on: October 27, 2016, 07:18:19 am »
Hey guys, im wondering if anyone has harder examples of HR questions that they can share for practice

Thanks
I don't have questions on the top of my head but I'll suggest a few things that I was confused about in my own legal study, but managed to iron them out before the exam. In case you struggle with similar things I'll put them here:
-The division and separation of powers: and how this affects/protects human rights
-What are the Constitution's express rights?
-What are two examples of implied rights?
-What is the role of the AHRC? Give an example of a case involved.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #373 on: October 27, 2016, 08:34:32 am »
+1

Just to throw my two cents in here; the essays we've seen from BOSTES so far this year have been quite specific (Paper 2 especially). I would not be surprised if they blended a theme with a specific section of the justice system; so be prepared for it!! :)

captainclank

• Adventurer
  • School: gosford high school
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #374 on: October 27, 2016, 03:02:29 pm »
I am unsure as to what parts of the syllabus this question is drawing from, is it talking about 'alternatives to court' in young offenders and 'alternative methods of sentencing including circle sentencing, restorative justice' in Sentencing and Punishment?

"To what extent are courts the only means of achieving justice within the criminal justice system?" (HSC 2012)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 03:08:33 pm by captainclank »