Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:26:30 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568018 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #330 on: October 23, 2016, 03:16:23 pm »
So trying to study for legal has hit me pretty hard... Im okay with content, and i know how to form arguments and all that stuff...

Problem is im dead with cases, media, legislation etc. I cant for the life of me memorise all these stuff (nor find them :( ) cause i have really bad memory. Ive tried palm cards, but they just dont work for me. I cant even get myself to memorise the dates associated with the legislation, year of articles and that type of stuff.

So my question here is how do people actually study? I know my content well. But i struggle in LCM's bit. Any suggestions?

And second question, how many LCM's should i have for Crime and my Options. How do i know where im meant to have one and where im not?!?! :(

Hey swags! This article details a few of my favourite ways to study for Legal, but unfortunately palm cards is all that's suggested for memorising laws and stuff. Summary sheets work too; just one sheet with everything you know that you read out and write out until it sticks, maybe even record yourself saying it and listen to it a heap! And of course, practice using them in essays! :)

If you keep working hard, it will stick. Hang in there!! :)

For Crime and Options, you should use an LCMTR (evidence) whenever you make a point. At minimum, you'd probably want 3 per paragraph if you are aiming high! :) every single time you raise an argument or say something about your Thesis, etc, you need evidence to back yourself up ;D

Elenaa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #331 on: October 23, 2016, 09:12:17 pm »
Hey!
Just wondering if we should thoroughly know all of the contemporary issues in the option topic (family and world order for me) or just know at least 2?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #332 on: October 23, 2016, 10:13:47 pm »
Hey!
Just wondering if we should thoroughly know all of the contemporary issues in the option topic (family and world order for me) or just know at least 2?

I'd be lying if I said I knew all of the family law contemporary issues equally well! I didn't! Same-sex relationships was by far my favourite. In saying that, the syllabus says: Issues that MUST be studied: and then goes on to list them. So it's not a situation of "learn one from the following" - they are saying, know them all! But, I didn't know them all equally well. For World Order, I found it was easier to know them all in detail because I think that syllabus is far more interlinked...just my opinion :)

So to answer: Yes you need to know them all, but, just like any syllabus, you'll probably know some sections more than others. Do your best! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Elenaa

• Trailblazer
« Reply #333 on: October 23, 2016, 10:20:43 pm »
I'd be lying if I said I knew all of the family law contemporary issues equally well! I didn't! Same-sex relationships was by far my favourite. In saying that, the syllabus says: Issues that MUST be studied: and then goes on to list them. So it's not a situation of "learn one from the following" - they are saying, know them all! But, I didn't know them all equally well. For World Order, I found it was easier to know them all in detail because I think that syllabus is far more interlinked...just my opinion :)

So to answer: Yes you need to know them all, but, just like any syllabus, you'll probably know some sections more than others. Do your best! :)

oh okay thanks Elyse ! :))

Josh22

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Rose Bay
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #334 on: October 23, 2016, 11:23:58 pm »
Hey Legal Forum.

In regards to the crime 15 mark essay is it a waste of time to include a definition of crime in your introduction? (With the crimes act)

Thanks

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #335 on: October 24, 2016, 12:13:36 am »
+1
Hey Legal Forum.

In regards to the crime 15 mark essay is it a waste of time to include a definition of crime in your introduction? (With the crimes act)

Thanks

Hey Josh! Welcome to the forums! ;D

Essentially, yeah, a bit of a wasted sentence. Your marker knows what Crime is; get straight into your arguments and analysis! :)

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #336 on: October 24, 2016, 05:04:43 pm »
Hey guys,

For the short answer section on human rights and specifically the developing recognition of human rights; how in depth do we need to prepare for this section? What is the highest mark that a question could be? I have a feeling that I might be going overboard on this section. What would be the recommended amount of information on this section? (Definition, case law, statute, international treaties - I tried to have a few of each for each dot point)

Thanks guys :)
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #337 on: October 24, 2016, 05:52:34 pm »
Hey Josh! Welcome to the forums! ;D

Essentially, yeah, a bit of a wasted sentence. Your marker knows what Crime is; get straight into your arguments and analysis! :)

On that note, how long should a crime essay be? (Words/page wise)
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #338 on: October 24, 2016, 08:18:48 pm »
On that note, how long should a crime essay be? (Words/page wise)

I think approximately 600 words (maybe 4 pages - depending on your hand writing size) is pretty standardly recommended :) Admittedly, I probably wrote closer to 5 or 6. Messy hand writing is definitely to blame for that.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #339 on: October 24, 2016, 08:24:34 pm »
Hey guys,

For the short answer section on human rights and specifically the developing recognition of human rights; how in depth do we need to prepare for this section? What is the highest mark that a question could be? I have a feeling that I might be going overboard on this section. What would be the recommended amount of information on this section? (Definition, case law, statute, international treaties - I tried to have a few of each for each dot point)

Thanks guys :)

In 2015, the largest mark allocation for human rights was 7 marks, also the same in 2014. In total though, Human Rights short answers account for 15 marks. It sounds to me like you're really well prepared for this section! Make sure you know your contemporary issue really well as well - that's probably the bit that most students forget to focus on - I think it's because in class time that's usually directed as independent learning, and not within the class learning. If you are as prepared as you sound, I wouldn't be focusing that much more time on it, simply because you're on top of it! Legislation, cases, treaties - all are really relevant for this section! Consider, though, can you make a judgement on these things? Knowing them all really well is one thing (and it sounds like you've mastered it) - but understanding it well enough to make a judgement is the next thing!

Josh22

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Rose Bay
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #340 on: October 24, 2016, 08:46:40 pm »
I think approximately 600 words (maybe 4 pages - depending on your hand writing size) is pretty standardly recommended :) Admittedly, I probably wrote closer to 5 or 6. Messy hand writing is definitely to blame for that.

Also how much time should I allocate to the Crime essay. They reccomend 30 minutes but is  that enough to get full marks? I admitably spend a lot more on it.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #341 on: October 24, 2016, 08:50:21 pm »
+1
Also how much time should I allocate to the Crime essay. They reccomend 30 minutes but is  that enough to get full marks? I admitably spend a lot more on it.

I found that by doing at least 5, potentially about 8-10, multiple choice in the reading time, I saved myself some time from the multiple choice and added it to the crime essay! I wouldn't go any more than 40 minutes. Aim for 30, but I mean, if you spill over and it means you round off your essay wonderfully - so be it! Time well spent, I say! :) Any more than 40 minutes means you're shaving time from your option essays - and that's where the most marks sit!

Elenaa

• Trailblazer
« Reply #342 on: October 24, 2016, 10:16:44 pm »
Hi!
Just wondering for this question, Evaluate the effectiveness of the law in protecting victims of domestic violence, is there anything else i could talk about other than AVO's, criminal charges and family court injunctions?... or is that enough?

Thankyou!!!!

Essej

• Forum Regular
  • "Don't settle for good. Strive for great".
« Reply #343 on: October 24, 2016, 11:08:06 pm »
Hi!
Just wondering for this question, Evaluate the effectiveness of the law in protecting victims of domestic violence, is there anything else i could talk about other than AVO's, criminal charges and family court injunctions?... or is that enough?

Thankyou!!!!

Hi Elenaa!

You've definitely covered heaps (I know AVO's are huge and easy to go on about - so you could be fine as is) but i'd also suggest, if you're struggling for ideas:

- Amendments to the Bail Act in 2003 known as "Trish's Law" (DT, 2003) after a woman was shot dead by her husband who was out on bail.
- Remembering that children can suffer greatly from domestic violence also, you could use the the Children and Young Persons (Care and Protection) Act 1998 which gave a broader definition to abuse as encompassing emotional/psychological as well as the physical aspect. It also placed a legal obligation for certain people e.g. doctors and teachers to notify NSW community services if there is reasonable grounds to suspect child abuse, creating an additional duty of care.

Hope this helps !
Class of 2016
------------------------
English Advanced: 93
Legal Studies: 96
Economics: 93
Business Studies: 92
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 93

2016 ATAR: 98.75

Elenaa

• Trailblazer
« Reply #344 on: October 24, 2016, 11:33:42 pm »
Hi Elenaa!

You've definitely covered heaps (I know AVO's are huge and easy to go on about - so you could be fine as is) but i'd also suggest, if you're struggling for ideas:

- Amendments to the Bail Act in 2003 known as "Trish's Law" (DT, 2003) after a woman was shot dead by her husband who was out on bail.
- Remembering that children can suffer greatly from domestic violence also, you could use the the Children and Young Persons (Care and Protection) Act 1998 which gave a broader definition to abuse as encompassing emotional/psychological as well as the physical aspect. It also placed a legal obligation for certain people e.g. doctors and teachers to notify NSW community services if there is reasonable grounds to suspect child abuse, creating an additional duty of care.

Hope this helps !

Thanks Essej ! :D and also if i talk about the two points you mentioned, how would i incorporate it in my essay, like what body paragraph/idea would it be under?