Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:56:36 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568023 times)  Share 

Essej

• Forum Regular
  • "Don't settle for good. Strive for great".
  • Respect: 0
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #285 on: October 15, 2016, 01:38:56 pm »
+1
what is one international human right which is also stated under domestic law/common law

Hey Emilee!

A good one to use here is the right to freedom from discrimination - enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (Article 2 talks about the implementation of rights "without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status"

In terms of enactment into domestic legislation, you could use any of the following and more:
- Anti Discrimination Act 1977 (Cth)
- Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Cth)
- Sexual Discrimination Act 1984 (Cth)
Class of 2016
------------------------
English Advanced: 93
Legal Studies: 96
Economics: 93
Business Studies: 92
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 93

2016 ATAR: 98.75

EmileeSmith

• Forum Regular
« Reply #286 on: October 15, 2016, 01:53:27 pm »
thank you!
and for a question that says 'extent to which law reflects moral and ethical standards', what could I talk about

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #287 on: October 15, 2016, 02:57:47 pm »
thank you!
and for a question that says 'extent to which law reflects moral and ethical standards', what could I talk about

Hey Emilee! That sort of question needs you to talk about, okay, how well does the law protect common views of right vs wrong? You'd be talking a lot about sentencing; does the sentence suit the crime? And further, perhaps looking at the balancing of rights between offenders and societal safety in the investigation process. Essentially, how well does the law uphold ethical standards in our society? Does it act as an appropriate protector against "bad" people, and does it define "bad" correctly? 

EmileeSmith

• Forum Regular
« Reply #288 on: October 15, 2016, 09:21:27 pm »
for the crime essay, I realised its only 15 marks, how much should words should we aim for this section and how much time?
+ are there any terrorism laws for young offenders ?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #289 on: October 16, 2016, 12:29:31 am »
for the crime essay, I realised its only 15 marks, how much should words should we aim for this section and how much time?
+ are there any terrorism laws for young offenders ?

A lot of people suggest about 600-750 words for the crime essay. To be honest, I never considered how much is expected of my in terms of quantity, but I more so focused on allocating my time in an exam, rather than focusing on the pages. I'm just telling you so that you know to take my 600 words estimate with a grain of salt! I usually spent about 10 minutes on multiple choice because I always aimed to do the first ten in reading time - so after that, just 10, maybe 15 minutes. On the short answers and multiple choice combined, I aimed for 30 minutes. The crime essay: 30 minutes. Each option essay: an hour. I know this seems like a lot of time for the module essays, but it usually ended up being about 50/55 minutes because crime essay would likely go over estimate - and I was far weaker in my organisation of ideas in the options!

In terms of terror laws for young offenders, I think you'll find that there's lots more "proposed" legislation than actual legislation.

Here's some links
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-04/nsw-laws-to-allow-police-to-detain-question-terror-suspects/7381200
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-15/bradley-control-orders-a-step-closer-to-police-state/6855636
http://www.news.com.au/national/politics/turnbull-announces-tough-new-laws-to-combat-terrorists/news-story/475412cee06163dd46ade2a8852b59a6

There seems to be a specific piece of legislation that came about in time for my own HSC exams last year, but I can't see anything pop up. I think the second link there is probably closest in date to my own exam, so it might be something suggested in that article?

Good luck! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

EmileeSmith

• Forum Regular
« Reply #290 on: October 16, 2016, 07:21:27 pm »
is selling alcohol to people under the age of 18 a strict liability offence or public order offence
and is embezzlement a summary or an indictable offence
and how can I answer this question 'With reference to ONE example, explain how law reform has assisted in protecting human rights'
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 07:36:41 pm by EmileeSmith »

angiezhang9

• Trailblazer
  • School: arden
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #291 on: October 16, 2016, 09:27:40 pm »
In the 2015 HSC Family Option question "To what extent is law reform regarding alternative family relationships a reflection of changing values?", could you discuss changes to divorce laws or is that not an alternative family relationship?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #292 on: October 16, 2016, 11:26:03 pm »
is selling alcohol to people under the age of 18 a strict liability offence or public order offence
and is embezzlement a summary or an indictable offence
and how can I answer this question 'With reference to ONE example, explain how law reform has assisted in protecting human rights'

Embezzlement is an indictable offence, and selling alcohol to people under the age of 18 is a strict liability offence and a public order offence. Check my knowledge on the second one, because I am only 90% sure and I can't find a source to back me up! :P

Okay, so the best way to answer that question would be to pick your case study/change first. What change have you observed in the law that has assisted in protecting human rights? What laws have been changed? Then, just explain what that change was, how it protects human rights, and importantly, give evidence of this. For example, you could discuss the additions to the Criminal Code to combat people trafficking, then use a case like R v Tang as evidence of that law reform being succesful! :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #293 on: October 16, 2016, 11:26:58 pm »
In the 2015 HSC Family Option question "To what extent is law reform regarding alternative family relationships a reflection of changing values?", could you discuss changes to divorce laws or is that not an alternative family relationship?

You could discuss separation of same-sex De-facto relationships as a related concept, but divorce by itself would not quite suit that question :)

rinagee12

• Trailblazer
« Reply #294 on: October 16, 2016, 11:52:37 pm »
Definitely a possibility! In the Trials there were questions on 'defences to murder' specifically; they can push specific stuff! Last year was Transnational Crime, which was quite specific, so I personally think it is less likely they go specific again, but you never know :) just an fyi, the only part of the Crime syllabus which hasn't been assessed is Young Offenders... Perhaps too soon for so specific again, but you never know ;)

In my Trials exam the Crime essay was on Young Offenders - something along the lines of 'Compare the treatment of children and adults in the criminal justice system.'
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 12:09:22 am by rinagee12 »
ATAR: 95.10

HSC 2016: English (Advanced) | English Ext 1 | Mathematics | Legal Studies |
Business Studies | Ancient History

2017: B Commerce / B Science @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #295 on: October 17, 2016, 12:04:35 am »
In my Trials exam the Crime essay was on Young Offenders - something alone the lines of 'Compare the treatment of children and adults in the criminal justice system.'

Ohh I like that question, specific topic but broad in how you approach it. I think that something like this is a real possibility; Evaluate the effectiveness of the criminal justice system in achieving justice for young offenders. :)

rinagee12

• Trailblazer
« Reply #296 on: October 17, 2016, 12:21:23 am »
+1
Ohh I like that question, specific topic but broad in how you approach it. I think that something like this is a real possibility; Evaluate the effectiveness of the criminal justice system in achieving justice for young offenders. :)

Yeah I actually struggled with trying not to write too much in the essay! Which reminds me - if anyone is looking for contemporary cases regarding Young Offenders, I usually mention something about children and drugs since methamphetamines have been quite a major issue in recent years (at least, the government/media make it seem that way). Children being used as meth cooks for bikie gangs, how the law attempts to help drug offenders through rehabilitation programs, etc. Can be linked to sentencing and punishments.
ATAR: 95.10

HSC 2016: English (Advanced) | English Ext 1 | Mathematics | Legal Studies |
Business Studies | Ancient History

2017: B Commerce / B Science @ UNSW

pughg16

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #297 on: October 17, 2016, 01:11:28 pm »
My trials crime question was on partial defences to criminal charges, with an extract about provocation & battered woman syndrome......a very horribly specific question. The worse thing was....I had hardly studied the defences closely, and couldn't remember which was partial and which was a complete defence!!!
I hope we don't get one like that in the HSC!!

On a different note, did anyone do Workplace as an Option? We have had rather disrupted year with our teacher, and consequently I don't know a great deal at all about workplace....
Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated!!

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #298 on: October 17, 2016, 02:59:11 pm »
For international law, are there any other limitations... apart from the obvious "state sovereignty"?
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #299 on: October 17, 2016, 03:29:46 pm »
For international law, are there any other limitations... apart from the obvious "state sovereignty"?

State sovereignty is the big one as you've mentioned, but you could also roll with:

- Differing sociocultural/ethical norms which act as a barrier to cooperative and beneficial discussion of international law issues
- The slow and arduous nature of UN Responses - Like, the UN responding to something arguably takes ages

Most of the time though, you'll be discussing the non-enforceability of international law due to state sovereignty, and how it manifests in different ways :)