Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:15:31 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568094 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #165 on: July 30, 2016, 03:14:53 pm »
Hey guys was wondering if anyone had some notes on bail ( its reforms and such )

Thanks

Hey Deng! Have a look over in the downloadable notes section here! You might find some stuff throughout the notes in there :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #166 on: July 31, 2016, 04:57:23 pm »
How should I answer this question in order to ensure I get full marks (25 marks total)

Describe and evaluate the role of alternative dispute resolution methods in settling conflicts and encouraging cooperation in society

I know I must refer to mediation, arbitration, etc but what else would I need to refer to?

Thanks

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #167 on: July 31, 2016, 07:24:48 pm »
How should I answer this question in order to ensure I get full marks (25 marks total)

Describe and evaluate the role of alternative dispute resolution methods in settling conflicts and encouraging cooperation in society

I know I must refer to mediation, arbitration, etc but what else would I need to refer to?

Thanks

That will essentially be the core of the response! You could be trickier and compare it with the role of the court system in settling conflicts, add your own dimension to it, which would then add that extra dimension to what you need to discuss. Kind of like "Yeah, mediation does this, but courts do it better" or "Arbitration does this, it's better than court processes," etc etc  :)

That said, you've nailed the main parts of it. Be sure that you are making consistent judgements with regard to what you are discussing ('ineffectively, effectively, inefficiently' those sorts of adverbs) and incorporating as many Laws, Cases, Media, Statistics and Reports as possible to form a broad body of evidence  ;D

Bparker

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Marian
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #168 on: August 02, 2016, 01:44:55 pm »
Hi guys!
I was wondering whether you think it would be worth trying to construct arguments around the themes and challenges for the nature of crime? It seems to me that most of the multiple choice questions are drawn from this section, but not any essay questions!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #169 on: August 02, 2016, 02:08:33 pm »
Hi guys!
I was wondering whether you think it would be worth trying to construct arguments around the themes and challenges for the nature of crime? It seems to me that most of the multiple choice questions are drawn from this section, but not any essay questions!

Hey BParker!! ;D the Nature of Crime is very much a dot point about establishing foundations, setting you up with some terminology, etc etc. It isn't the focus of any essay questions simply because:

a) Such an essay would be boring
b) There isn't enough there to discuss objectively, it would just be regurgitating facts

So it isn't worth it (in my opinion) to prepare anything for an essay in that area, you can essentially ignore it beyond the Multiple Choice section  ;D is that what you meant by your question? If you are referring to the Themes and Challenges in general then this article might be worth a read!

Bparker

• Trailblazer
  • School: Marian
« Reply #170 on: August 02, 2016, 02:23:26 pm »
+1
Hey BParker!! ;D the Nature of Crime is very much a dot point about establishing foundations, setting you up with some terminology, etc etc. It isn't the focus of any essay questions simply because:

a) Such an essay would be boring
b) There isn't enough there to discuss objectively, it would just be regurgitating facts

So it isn't worth it (in my opinion) to prepare anything for an essay in that area, you can essentially ignore it beyond the Multiple Choice section  ;D is that what you meant by your question? If you are referring to the Themes and Challenges in general then this article might be worth a read!

Yep that's what I meant, thanks for clarifying that! Saves some of the work load haha ... :)

cjrig

• Adventurer
« Reply #171 on: August 02, 2016, 05:42:04 pm »
Hi, I was just wondering what is the proper way to refer media articles in an essay? Do I write the whole title, the date and the publisher?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #172 on: August 02, 2016, 08:51:56 pm »
Hi, I was just wondering what is the proper way to refer media articles in an essay? Do I write the whole title, the date and the publisher?

Hey cjrig!! Welcome to the forums  ;D

You can vary a little bit, but in general you will want all of that information in some form, so for example:

Articles such as "This is a Newspaper" (Sydney Morning Herald, 2016) indicate that newspapers produce articles.

You can also cite quotes from media articles in this manner:

Chief Justice Bob Bobinson weighed in on the issue, saying "Yes, newspapers definitely write articles" (Sunday Telegraph, 2016).

I hope this helps!  ;D

cjrig

• Adventurer
« Reply #173 on: August 02, 2016, 09:23:44 pm »
Hey cjrig!! Welcome to the forums  ;D

You can vary a little bit, but in general you will want all of that information in some form, so for example:

Articles such as "This is a Newspaper" (Sydney Morning Herald, 2016) indicate that newspapers produce articles.

You can also cite quotes from media articles in this manner:

Chief Justice Bob Bobinson weighed in on the issue, saying "Yes, newspapers definitely write articles" (Sunday Telegraph, 2016).

I hope this helps!  ;D

Thanks! Just got one more question.

So it would be okay if I use a quote without stating the title like you did in that Chief Justice quote? It would relieve some pressure as it can be a bit hard memorizing so many article titles!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #174 on: August 02, 2016, 09:51:07 pm »
Thanks! Just got one more question.

So it would be okay if I use a quote without stating the title like you did in that Chief Justice quote? It would relieve some pressure as it can be a bit hard memorizing so many article titles!

Yes, that is absolutely fine, you are quoting the source of your information so that is 100% fine ;D

bethtyso

• Adventurer
  • School: St Francis De Sales Regional College
« Reply #175 on: August 04, 2016, 10:12:49 am »
Hi, could i just have a quick explanation of jus cogens in relation to international crime?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #176 on: August 04, 2016, 10:21:38 am »
Hi, could i just have a quick explanation of jus cogens in relation to international crime?

Hey! A peremptory norm (which is also called, as you say, jus cogens) is a fundamental principle of international law, so inherent that it is accepted by all nation states as a norm, and no derogation from it is permitted. There is no formal, set list of these things, but it is fair to say that prevention of genocide is an example, as is abolishment of slavery  ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #177 on: August 04, 2016, 10:31:53 am »

Jus cogens are the principles of international law that cannot be set aside, they are ingrained in the international customary law. Sometimes people call it a "peremptory norm." So it kind of is like how you don't date your best friend's ex - it isn't written down anywhere but everyone accepts it. Where it differs in international law, is that sometimes it is written down. So you would say that genocide, slavery, maritime piracy, and torture, are all not permitted according to jus cogens. But, of course, these examples are also written in pieces of international law. So it's kind of like, the collective things that each country accepts because they are morally true. The right to self determination is also included in jus cogens - so it's not just about things you can't do, but also about human rights as well. Hope that helps! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #178 on: August 04, 2016, 07:18:53 pm »
Hi. At school we have to compare the US electoral system with Australia's
but I'm confused on how the preselection of candidates works for both countries?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #179 on: August 05, 2016, 12:08:56 am »
Hi. At school we have to compare the US electoral system with Australia's
but I'm confused on how the preselection of candidates works for both countries?

Argh the US system is weirrdddd! Super-electorates and pre-selection and all sorts of nonsense... It's complicated. I don't get it. Ahahaha! That said, if you Google 'US Presidential Election Explained,' you'll get a heap of resources designed just for that very purpose ;D

The Australian system is a little easier to understand and is handled by the party itself through various means. Pretty much, each party has the right to choose its own candidate by whatever means it likes. Usually it takes the form of a pre-ballot or a vote in the local area.

Some more detail can be found here! It tells you everything you need to know  ;D